Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Stark
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by Stark Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:39 pm

I watched Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them last night and thought it was quite good. I enjoyed all of the characters and it was fun to see the Harry Potter universe again.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:02 pm

I really enjoy the self awareness of New Nightmare. Scarey... maybe not. But it's original and was breaking that 4th wall before he did the same with Scream.

Stark wrote:I watched Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them last night and thought it was quite good. I enjoyed all of the characters and it was fun to see the Harry Potter universe again.

Hm, I bought Mrs. Jago this on Blu Ray for Christmas. Haven't got around to watching it. Good to hear.

Any one going to see Den of Thieves in theaters? I don't have much moving going time these days, but I added it to my Google Play queue for when it becomes available for streaming rental. That's how I watch most of the new releases now.
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:14 pm

Jagosaurus wrote:
Stark wrote:I watched Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them last night and thought it was quite good. I enjoyed all of the characters and it was fun to see the Harry Potter universe again.

Hm, I bought Mrs. Jago this on Blu Ray for Christmas. Haven't got around to watching it. Good to hear.

I felt the same way FWIW. A lot of the criticism this one received was the result of misplaced nerd rage, as far as I'm concerned. Does it break new ground in terms of riveting story telling in the world of Harry Potter? No. But it's undoubtedly fun and entertaining. Go into it with the idea of 'world of Harry Potter as spectacle' and you won't be disappointed. Hey who doesn't like a good spectacle from time to time? :D
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:18 pm

noiseredux wrote:I personally love Freddy's Dead. It's cheesy, sure. But it's I don't know, quintessential 90's cheese. The Power Glove, the Wizard Of Oz, the soundtrack, the 3D... I actually far prefer it to The Dream Child.

I like both serious Freddy and "literally a clown" Freddy.

Nightmare on Elm Street is one of the weirdest phenomena of the 80's given how much it ended up being marketed to kids.
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:30 pm

The night before last I watched Wolf Children with my kids (8 year-old twins)

I'm not hugely into anime so this was something a bit different for us, which isn't to say that I don't like anime, only that it's not something that we normally view. My experience has been relegated to the classics in the genre. At any rate, we all really enjoyed this one, although one of my daughters found it to be sad. It's a very beautiful movie both in its animation and in it's storytelling. Partly due to some slightly more 'adult' storytelling and partly because of the film's lone death scene I might have postponed my kids from watching this one for a year or two, but having said that I also feel that it's important to broaden their views regarding the types of stories they're exposed to (within reason, lol). In the end we were all super impressed with this one. Although it's not a Studio Ghibli movie it's certainly one that would fit well within that oeuvre (or at least based on my experience with those films). On that basis I'd recommend this one to any fans of Studio Ghibli films.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:18 pm

Every Mamoru Hosada movie post Digimon and One Piece ones (which may be good too, haven't watched them) has been excellent. So, if you liked Wolf Children, you may want to check out his others - The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (this is a classic sci fi type story in Japan and has several adaptations, but his is great), Summer Wars, and The Boy and the Beast are out. He's got another one coming this year as well.
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:41 pm

isiolia wrote:Every Mamoru Hosada movie post Digimon and One Piece ones (which may be good too, haven't watched them) has been excellent. So, if you liked Wolf Children, you may want to check out his others - The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (this is a classic sci fi type story in Japan and has several adaptations, but his is great), Summer Wars, and The Boy and the Beast are out. He's got another one coming this year as well.

After watching Wolf Children I noticed that The Girl Who Leapt Through Time had popped up in my Amazon recommendations. Looks intriguing! I hadn't realized that Mamoru Hosada was the common thread there. Thanks for these recommendations!
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:33 pm

nullPointer wrote:
isiolia wrote:Every Mamoru Hosada movie post Digimon and One Piece ones (which may be good too, haven't watched them) has been excellent. So, if you liked Wolf Children, you may want to check out his others - The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (this is a classic sci fi type story in Japan and has several adaptations, but his is great), Summer Wars, and The Boy and the Beast are out. He's got another one coming this year as well.

After watching Wolf Children I noticed that The Girl Who Leapt Through Time had popped up in my Amazon recommendations. Looks intriguing! I hadn't realized that Mamoru Hosada was the common thread there. Thanks for these recommendations!

I also enjoyed Girl Who Leapt Through Time. In fact, I liked it better than Wolf Children.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is a film that utilizes the "butterfly effect" plot device to teach a lesson. Many time travel movies have used this plot device in a sci-fi context to address a problem inherent to time travel and causality. In this case, the film utilizes the familiar plot device as an allegory to teach young viewers to take accountability for the repercussions of their actions.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:34 pm

Not as good as the first one, but still a fun watch. Best watched as the second film of a double feature, paired with Demons 1.
NotLuke
8-bit

by NotLuke Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:45 pm

Not sure if this is a joke within a joke, but they are committed to the bit.

DUNDEE SON OF A LEGEND
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever