What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by REPO Man »

Shin Kamen Rider is a reimagining of the Kamen Rider series, following a young man turned into a grasshopper/human hybrid. It's very body horror-ish.

Awesome! I've seen it before, but I think it was on VHS.

I first saw Nausicaa when I checked it out from the Disney Cast Center, back when I worked for Disney World as a custodian. And back in 2016 I bought this when I joined the Disney Movie Club (still gotta buy 3 more titles before this September).

Anyway, I've only seen this with the original Japanese audio track so I don't know how well the American cast (which features Alison Lohman, Shia LaBeouf, Patrick Steward, Edward James Olmos, Mark Hamill and the late Tony Jay) compares to the original Japanese cast.

Better than the original. Aside from this the only sequel I've seen is Terminator 3, and it wasn't that good.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

When I first saw this teased I kind of rolled my eyes but the trailers looked fun and the reception was positive and I had free tickets. I really enjoyed it. They went with sequel instead of reboot and while it probably wasn't necessary at all it was still nice. It's a dumb and fun movie but it makes for a great follow-up to the first film and is a fantastic family movie that both kids and adults would enjoy.

There's a lot of legitimately clever video game humor in it as well. If you need a light popcorn flick in your life I highly recommend it.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Watched "Southern Baptist Sissies" last night. It's on Amazon Prime Video and I downloaded it onto my tablet and watched it last night.

It's a 2014 performance of the Del Shores play from 2000, about 4 young gay boys dealing with their sexualities after becoming born-again Christians. There's also a sub-plot about a pair of barflies, one played by Leslie Jordan.

It starts off like a humor-peppered drama that gets more and more heartbreaking as time goes on.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Gunstar Green wrote:Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

When I first saw this teased I kind of rolled my eyes but the trailers looked fun and the reception was positive and I had free tickets. I really enjoyed it. They went with sequel instead of reboot and while it probably wasn't necessary at all it was still nice. It's a dumb and fun movie but it makes for a great follow-up to the first film and is a fantastic family movie that both kids and adults would enjoy.

There's a lot of legitimately clever video game humor in it as well. If you need a light popcorn flick in your life I highly recommend it.

I saw this as well recently and was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed it quite a bit. Like you said just dumb fun. I really didn't care for the original, but I think I might've been a little too old for it to hit right, I'm sure if I was the right age I would've adored it.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I never cared for the original either, but the new one looks fun to me. I mean it's also a great cast.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

noiseredux wrote:I never cared for the original either, but the new one looks fun to me. I mean it's also a great cast.

Did you ever see Central Intelligence? Also great, I'm thinking The Rock + Kevin Hart is comedy gold. Although I think Jack Black steals most of the scenes he is in, in this one.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

never saw that, no. The Rock is great, though. And Kevin Hard and Jack Black are both super funny dudes. I also think it's cool to see Karen Gillan in a mainstream movie. I mean Guardians is pretty huge, but I imagine Joe Public has no idea who's under that blue makeup.
marurun

Post by marurun »

One could argue The Phantom Menace had a great cast and look what we got.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

marurun wrote:One could argue The Phantom Menace had a great cast and look what we got.

I just re-watched Phantom Menace and while it is still terrible, watching it with kids made it more bearable. They find so much joy in things I found annoying, that it's hard for it not to rub off a little.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I don't necessarily think Phantom Menace (or Attack Of The Clones) are bad MOVIES. I just think they're pretty bad Star Wars movies. I can still watch them and enjoy them enough. But Revenge Of The Sith is way better. Unfortunately not every Star Wars movie can be excellent - and I have my complaints about Last Jedi (heck, I have my complaints about Return Of The Jedi), but I'll still happily watch my least favorite Star Wars movies even if they're not up to the same level of awesome as my favorite ones.

We've all had this conversation before, though.