What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by REPO Man »

The 1990 remake, BTW.

Meh. It had decent effects at least. And Tony Todd was good in it.
Kuruwin
64-bit

Post by Kuruwin »

Wanted to watch something different than horror for change and i ended up watching first Lethal Weapon. I had seen this on television but it might have been just playing on the background because i recognized the scenes but didn't really remember how i reacted to the film.

So did i like it now? Yes. Solid 80's action flick. The ost is good, it has good humor and Danny Glover and Mel Gibson have good chemistry. The action part's weren't really all that impressive but were still well done. I guess the villains are also kinda weak but the movie isn't really about them and they don't really even have big presecense until after the one hour mark.

The film is really about Danny's and Mel's characters so it didn't really matter.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Blue Thunder - Special Edition
Quiz - What is JAFO? No, don't spoil the movie by a Google search, watch the DVD!

I have owned the Laser Disc copy for years, spotted the DVD at BookOff; the extra footage of the Special Edition caught my eye. Just a good 80s action movie with cheesy dialog, but an entertaining two hour run. Watching the movie today after seeing the special features and hearing the director's comments brought out key features:

1. The missile hitting the office building and coming out the other side. Keep in mind this made years before 9/11, as in Dreamcast Propeller Arena that would have been edited out today.

2. The bad ass Blue Thunder was a custom functional Hollywood prop french helicopter with canopy inspired by the Apache helicopters. Added so much weight, flew like a slow bus. Still cool looking though. I still have display model toy that I bought back then, probably worth an bit today.

3. The audio track Director's comment really brings out hidden information. Malcom McDowell wide eyes were not for a hunt of the Blue Thunder, he was just absolutely terrified riding the Hughes 500 helicopter acting as if the pilot. On the other side, Roy Scheider had to land the Blue Thunder helo due to cameraman almost falling out held by the pilot in the other seat. This was when Panavision film cameras took so much room, the cameraman had to stand on the rail outside with only a belt rig to capture the actors in flying action.

4. Action helicopter sequences all real, no CGI here. Lot of the low flying in Los Angeles that would not pass safety standards today. Opportune use of new office building construction to create the cat mouse aspect of the helicopters chasing each other. Yes real chicken barbecue dropped from the sky leading to an interesting cleanup crew that appeared out of nowhere.

5. For the car buffs, look for the beautiful 79 Pontiac Trans Am, the grey Corvette and yes even the lowly Vega hopping the movie drivein ramps actually looks cool. I now keep thinking of Grumpy Jenkins Vega funny car.

6. This was Warren Oates last movie, great actor you love to hate. You can see his "drill sergeant" character in every movie. Lines such as "You're supposed to be stupid, son. Don't abuse the privilege." just rolls out natural. :lol:

Hey, in the picture a 1st Interstate Bank office building before Wells Fargo took over.

http://www.rotaryaction.com/pages/bluethunder.html

Blue Thunder (1983) - The ultimate helicopter movie, John Badham's airborne thriller about testing new military technology above the streets of Los Angeles (ostensibly for crowd control at the 1984 Olympics) has the most exciting urban rotary action of all time, as burnt-out Vietnam veteran Frank Murphy (Roy Scheider), a troubled flyer with the L.A.P.D.'s Astro Division, battles with a rival US Army pilot, Colonel Cochrane (Malcolm McDowell), for control of the city's skies, using the hijacked super-weapon of title. There are some excellent aerial stunts, including flying under bridges, Blue Thunder's dogfights with two enemy (Hughes 500D) gunships among the skyscrapers, and the near disaster of air strikes from a pair of F-16 jet fighters.

Toys and models of the Blue Thunder chopper have been made to various scales in die-cast or plastic kit forms. Most of these are very rare now as collector's items. There are also radio-controlled flying models of Blue Thunder available, plus a Hughes 500 model (so fans can stage their own aerial chase scenes).

"The Blue Thunder helicopter was originally an Aerospatiale SA341G Gazelle, built in 1973, and once flown by a coal mining company in the 1970s before Columbia Studios bought it. There were actually two Gazelles used in the Blue Thunder production, of course. After the movie wrapped, the first Gazelle was sold to an aviation salvage company in New Mexico, who leased it to a film company making the ABC TV mini-series Amerika (1987). Later, the salvager dismantled the machine for valuable spare parts. The second Gazelle is on display at MGM Studios in Florida (pictured in 2002), and can be seen on the backlot bus tour. It is in fairly poor condition." - NATHAN DECKER

Sony remaking 80s flick Blue Thunder; will trade helicopters for drones (03-17-2015)
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/sony-remaking-80s-flick-blue-thunder-will-trade-helicopters-for-drones-237

Your first thought of Roy Scheider may be JAWS or SeaQuest DSV, but for me it will always be BLUE THUNDER. The 1983 action movie about a pilot using an enhanced military helicopter to patrol Los Angeles was one of my favorite movies growing up as a kid. The John Badham movie was not the greatest movie made but it had some pretty awesome aerial sequences. Now, the movie is being remade at Columbia Pictures with a significant change to the technology.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the new BLUE THUNDER will not feature a helicopter but rather a drone aircraft. Drones have become popular in recent years due to their military applications in the Middle East as well as being made available for personal use.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Really awesome piece of splatterpunk. And unlike most gory buckets of gore, Hellraiser always had a perfect blend of substance and style, a much more opulent and stylish gory film.

The only Hellraiser sequel that doesn't suck. Adding more substance and style with a dash of mythos, the sequel takes place a day or so after the previous film ends, with Kirsty in a mental institution only to have the Cenobites return for more!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Blade Runner 2049.

Second time.

Unbelievable.
skyknight
128-bit

Post by skyknight »

Xeogred wrote:Blade Runner 2049.

Second time.

Unbelievable.

Just saw that in the theaters, man, does this sequel works! Not quite Empire Strikes Back, but a high level!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I seriously can't wait for that to come out so I can watch it with headphones. Gonna melt my brain.

I rewatched the original Final Cut this week too and it's still the best, my top favorite of all time. I was thinking about finally watching some of the other versions for the heck of it, namely the Workprint version which has different music and some other strange changes, only one narrated part near the end. Could be interesting but I don't know... also a little curious about the international version. I think I watched the directors cut when I first saw the movie years ago. I still have never seen the theatrical narrated version and I'm not sure if I ever want to, sounds horrendous!
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Wonder Woman. You know what/ The movie was really good. I still hate how dark everything is in DC films but this was still pretty good.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Segata wrote:Wonder Woman. You know what/ The movie was really good. I still hate how dark everything is in DC films but this was still pretty good.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the direction they seem to be going with the color palette either. But I think WW ended up being the most colorful of the lot, so at least that's something.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

The Ninteteen Eighty Four movie is awful, almost put me in a coma. Cinematography and the setting was amazing courtesy of Roger Deakins, but that's all I've got. I remember liking the book a lot when I read it in school ages ago. But this was super boring. Yikes!

Brazil sounds like a better alternative.