What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by noiseredux »

Superman/Batman: Apocalypse is #9 in the DCUAO, and serves as a direct sequel to Batman/Superman: Public Enemies. Supposedly. But really it this should have been billed as Supergirl's own movie. Or at the least, should have been a Justice League movie given that Wonder Woman actually plays a bigger role here than Batman does. After the amazing Batman: Under The Red Hood, Bats is relegated to just kind of being around in this movie. But the Supergirl stuff was pretty cool. Some of my favorite takes on the Kara character was always the kind of fish-out-water stuff - so the montage here of Clark showing her around Metropolis and bringing her shopping and stuff was a good touch. And THEN the involvement of Wonder Woman when Kara hasn't learned to control her powers yet, also good stuff. But then there was some questionable stuff. Like... an army of Doomsday clones. You're telling me that ONE Doomsday can kill Superman, but a small army of Amazons can keep up with a march larger army of Doomsdays? And I don't know, the story kind of breaks down towards the end and doesn't stay super compelling. I feel like this should have just been a proper Supergirl movie instead of a shoehorned thing where she's introduced and then vanishes during the second act. Shrug. Also, I don't understand the physics of Kara's hair. Haha. This was kind of mid-tier in the series for me.
bigpunisha

Post by bigpunisha »

Last movie I saw was Mile 22. Good movie, it's in theatres right now as well speak.. if you're looking for a good movie to catch, definitely give it a shot.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Not a movie, but I started watching The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I have no idea why I'm so late to the party. (I feel like there's a time travel joke in there somewhere).
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Great show, but it unfortunately gets cancelled on a major cliffhanger (the last episode is the start of what was supposed to be the next story arc).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I could not get into the show. The writing was weird and the acting wasn't great. I also feel like the Terminator universe has been abused in some weird ways.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ack

Post by Ack »

marurun wrote:I could not get into the show. The writing was weird and the acting wasn't great. I also feel like the Terminator universe has been abused in some weird ways.

You mean any movie after the second one?
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

marurun wrote:I could not get into the show. The writing was weird and the acting wasn't great. I also feel like the Terminator universe has been abused in some weird ways.

Yeah, I think fan reaction was fairly divided. Part of that is due to the fact that the show runners couldn't decide whether they wanted to make a bog-standard "OMG check out this Terminator shootout!!!! Spoiler alert: stuff blows up!!!!!!!" affair in keeping with the historical legacy of the series, or whether they wanted to make some actual compelling cerebral sci-fi. Unfortunately I think the 'Terminator-faithful' weren't sure what to make of this latter element, and the hardcore sci-fi set couldn't care less about over-the-top action set pieces. It also didn't help that Fox kept on changing the time-slot of the show.

Not sure I agree with you about the acting though. I feel like Summer Glau (meee-ow), Lena Headly, Garret Dillahunt (this dude isn't super well known, but he tends to be top notch in most of his roles) and Richard T. Jones all put in solid performances. For my part I really dug the show. I'd go so far as to say that The Sarah Conner Chronicles is the third best onscreen output stemming from the Terminator series (falling in line after 1 and 2). When one considers the other Terminator movies to choose from that might be considered 'damning with faint praise', but hey it's something. :D Heck, catch me on the right day and I might even claim it's the second best Terminator (nothing in the series tops T2; probably never will). I mean who doesn't want to see Cersei Lannister squaring off against some Terminators!? But yeah, real shame about how it got dropped. Is this the curse of Summer Glau!? :shock: :mrgreen:
marurun

Post by marurun »

I don't like Summer Glau's acting. She always feels flat to me. And I don't mean robot flat because she's a Terminator. I mean I just don't think she's a particularly good actor and have never seen her in a role that convinced me otherwise (including Firefly, a show with some great acting and a bit of weak acting [mostly the Tam characters]).
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

having only watched the pilot episode, I can't weigh in too heavily yet. But thus far (A) I think the show seems really cool, and (B) I really like Summer Glau as a terminator.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

For his seventh birthday, my son wants to have a sleep over party...with his dad. (He calls it “Boys Night” because his sister isn’t allowed downstairs with us....She couldn’t care less and is upstairs watching a Mary and the Witch’s Flower with her mother.) We ordered a pizza, ate some brownies and ice cream, and are watching Pokemon: The First Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back. The movie is fine, and my son is loving it. The late ‘90s translation and soundtrack, however, is just painful...(Once this is over, though, we’re playing video games until he crashes!)