What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by Jagosaurus »

Hatchet II
I went for the Unrated Version.

Released: 2010
IMDB: 5.5/10
Rotten Tomatoes: 36% critics, 35% audience
Streaming: HD Rental on Google Play for $3.99

Well, Adam Green has brought Victor Crowley back for another round. After expecting more of the tone from the first movie (which is campy gore on a Cajun, swamp driven lore back drop versus "scary") I enjoyed this one. First and foremost, there is Danielle Harris. She actually replaces an actress from the first film. I typically don't care for the whole "same character, different actress" role... but when the swap is for her... I'm in. Photos to prove point 8)

Tony Todd (aka Candyman) is back again after making a brief appearance in the first film. He is a solid addition to the cast and helps carry and narrate the story. Kane Hodder (Friday the 13th) is also back as Victor and is a menacing presence as always.

While I am no film school buff, the pacing felt a little off in this one. It seems like there wasn't clear "acts" or story arcs. The film takes place one day after the first film, and it is just more "run and die" from Victor. While it was fun, it just ended after 30 minutes of set up and 60 minutes of carnage. Not much progression there, but then again we're watching an old school style slasher sequel. There are some very funny moments and more "fatality" style deaths. I tend to like my slashers a bit more suspenseful with some scare factor, but this formula seems to work here. I did really enjoy it and am looking forward to Hatchet 3 and "4" (titled Victor Crowley). Thankfully Danielle is back for the third installment.

2018 Watched
Count: 18 Movies
Movies
- January -
1. Hitman: Agent 47
2. Riddick *
3. Real Steel
4. Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol
5. The Place Beyond the Pines
6. Spectral

- February -
7. Bright
8. 47 Meters Down
9. The Book of Eli
10. Project Almanac
11. Chicken Run
12. Emoji Movie

- March -
13. Zombeavers
14. Epic
15. Home

- April -
16. Hatchet
17. The Breed *
18. Hatchet II

* Indicates a re-watch
Green Indicates a kiddo movie watched with family & "reviewed" as a parent.
Red Indicates a horror flick of some kind.

TV Series also Watched
S1 - The Oath
S1 - Stranger Things
S2 - Stranger Things
S4 - iZombie (in process)

We typically discuss TV shows here.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Wishmaster 2.

It's what you think a sequel to Wishmaster would be. More demented, more black humor, more wishes gone horribly wrong (like one guy wishing his lawyer would "go fuck himself"). But sadly as is the case more doesn't translate to better.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Hatchet III

Released 2013
IMDB: 5.7/10
Rotten Tomatoes: 57% critics, 39% audience
Available for HD Google Play rental at $3.99

Adam Green brings the Bayou Butcher, Victor Crowley, back for round 3 of swamp terrors. Danielle Harris returns as the lead female. She's great and carries the film. Kane Hodder is still portraying Crowley and is his intimidating self.

This one is the "Aliens" installment of the series. A bunch of military types go in to clear the swamp of this threat. Yeah... goes as well as you'd think. Several great laughs are here, as well as multiple "fatalities" the films are known for.

This is a solid installment with better pacing than Hatchet II. Something that sets the initial trilogy apart is the movies occurring over 3 consecutive nights. That's an interesting premise. These movies feel like you're watching a modern day, 80s horror flick. It's hard to explain until you see it, but they hit their mark.

I am excited to finish the series out with 2017's release Victor Crowley. I imagine we'll see a Hatchet 5 at some point with the success of the series thus far within the horror crowd.

2018 Watched
Movies
- January -
1. Hitman: Agent 47
2. Riddick *
3. Real Steel
4. Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol
5. The Place Beyond the Pines
6. Spectral

- February -
7. Bright
8. 47 Meters Down
9. The Book of Eli
10. Project Almanac
11. Chicken Run
12. Emoji Movie

- March -
13. Zombeavers
14. Epic
15. Home

- April -
16. Hatchet
17. The Breed *
18. Hatchet II
19. Hatchet III

* Indicates a re-watch
Green Indicates a kiddo movie watched with family & "reviewed" as a parent.
Red Indicates a horror flick of some kind.

TV Series also Watched
S1 - The Oath
S1 - Stranger Things
S2 - Stranger Things
S4 - iZombie (in process)

We typically discuss TV shows here.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Image VS Image

Blade Runner 2049
Well, I finally saw the movie checked out from the local library. I am a die hard fan of the original owning regular and Criterion Laser Discs and the Four Disc DVD featuring all the cuts. I like both the narrative for hidden messages and non voice over for the music enhancement, each adding a unique perspective in the story. I was going to buy the sequel on BluRay outright when it came out, but had read mixed reviews. After watching the "rental" last night glad I did not buy this pile of mush.

Original 1982 Blade Runner
Okay above statement pretty harsh, but here are some things I saw in the original that was completely wiped out in the sequel. Foremost was the whole message of if or how a replicant just wanted to be human and live. The movie based on the novel "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep" which alludes to this concept. Human emotions removed in the replicants leaving them less human to serve their four year life span as a soldier, miner or companion for humans. The slow motion shot of the replicant running thru the glass so wanting to live; Deckards guilt of "retiring" her as was his mission. Replicants are instilled with fake memory to give them a binding to reality, but then started learning emotion and maybe becoming human themselves. Even Deckard; the question hanging on his own mortality if a replicant or not.

Couple memorable clips with Vangelis soundtrack from original:

Running from Death:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVZDyeTTsic

Tears In The Rain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoAzpa1x7jU

Okay now watch the voice over to see what else was being conveyed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJzIT6fQ3OU

More bad voice over, I actually like the Noir in it adding to the story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A3JkjScUKY

Special mention to the great Syd Meade; his work predominately used in the original Blade Runner. The future crowded desolate city showing society overwhelmed by technology and population crowding. Though bleak a world, it still draws you in. The sequel focus of a barren desert dead climate just not appealing for a two hour escape from reality story. Leave that for Mad Max (great action movie) and not in a movie that pulls your senses with the neon and deep concept that the original has.

All the memories of original lost like tears in the rain
I see a similiar thought tackling humanity in the Star Trek series in Data and Spock. How in some episodes they battle the logic vs emotion. Spock having to keep his human side at bay and Data wanting the emotion to become more human. Both brought in great stories that makes one think of how humans tick. The Bladerunner sequel did not cover any of this important message and just focused on replicants as just a killer androids. Yes K as the new Bladerunner had an attachment to his virtual companion, but pulled me as not real emotion just a companion. Right away he knows he is a replicant, yet the concept of human never dived in. Only at the end meeting the daughter of the Deckard, did there seem to be a need of finding emotion connection. That is the shocker that replicant Rachel had a kid? This after an entire movie of worthless unrelated sub plots!

Final Thought
Always been stated about most sequels, the original always better blah blah blah. Well in this case, I think it really rings true. Watch both to compare. Perhaps if each is treated as unrelated, then for me the sequel might be an easier view?
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Wow, really?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Blade Runner is my #1 but I'm pretty sure 2049 cracks my top 5. I went in as pessimistic about the sequel as could be but was floored by how much I loved it. Best thing I've seen drop in theaters in my lifetime. I'm pumped that Denis is doing Dune.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

CRTGAMER wrote:The Bladerunner sequel did not cover any of this important message and just focused on replicants as just a killer androids. Yes K as the new Bladerunner had an attachment to his virtual companion, but pulled me as not real emotion just a companion. Right away he knows he is a replicant, yet the concept of human never dived in. Only at the end meeting the daughter of the Deckard, did there seem to be a need of finding emotion connection. That is the shocker that replicant Rachel had a kid? This after an entire movie of worthless unrelated sub plots!

Eh, I'd say 2049 did as much or more to humanize replicants. Right off the bat, the first movie establishes key differences with replicants, right? With the Voight-Kampff test, and a general lack of empathy being a tell. That's mostly how they act. Deckard or K when on task, or those they're hunting or being hunted by. The other replicants might be more sympathetic characters in the first movie, trying to extend their lives...but they still go around manipulating, mutilating, and murdering in attempt to do so. You get hints of them caring for one another, but largely just in form of rage or revenge. Even Deckard pretty much just runs at the end. Self-preservation is the modus operandi.

2049, on the other hand, hints a lot at K being special - his "relationship" with JOI, hints towards him being Rachel's kid, etc...only to find out that he's not. Yet, he turns around without regard for his own well being to help Deckard. Something that, again, was established from the start of the first movie that replicants aren't really supposed to do. They let tortoises bake in the hot sun, right? Similarly, Deckard went into hiding, and refuses offers for a new Rachel, again acting in a manner more consistent with noble human ideals than how replicants are supposed to be. So, I wouldn't agree that 2049 just discards the message - I think it did more.

That said, the reproductive angle is not that special - Armitage III or Appleseed did similar things decades earlier.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Rewatched this last night:

Still a great film musical but as always the original is better.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

HOLY SHIT!
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

MrPopo wrote:HOLY SHIT!

What?