What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ack

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by Ack »

Anybody who has ever seen Hawk the Slayer, that's who.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Ack wrote:Anybody who has ever seen Hawk the Slayer, that's who.

I can honestly say I've never even heard of that movie. I problem I need to correct?
Ack

Post by Ack »

That depends. Do you like extremely low budget British fantasy films from the 1980s?
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

isiolia wrote:While there are elements of Pandorum that are similar, I think it does diverge a bit since I think Event Horizon is more or less Solaris skewed towards horror.

Pandorum is more a mashup of an interesting story with horror stuff that doesn't really add to it (to me).

Pandorum is the spiritual successor to Event Horizon. It's from some of the same people and they made many nods and similarities. It's actually pretty similar to event horizon in the plot in many ways.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOXZQtBsEAo
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Ack wrote:That depends. Do you like extremely low budget British fantasy films from the 1980s?

Like Excalibur and Krull?
Kuruwin
64-bit

Post by Kuruwin »

Pandorum was only six euros on blueray so i did decide order it.

Anyways. I watched Battle Royale last night. Used to really like this one when i was teenager but now it felt just alright. I was actually surprised how tame the movie turned out to be. In Japan it was rated 15+ and that felt more appropriate than the Brittish 18+. One of the characters does get his head chopped up and one get's knife to the nuts but those scenes aren't gory so there's no real graphic violence on the film.

Acting wise the film was mostly kinda awful but i guess you can't expect much from actual teenagers.

But it's not like Battle Royale is a serious film so it didn't really bother me. What did bother me though is that arrow (the company that did the release) was proudly saying that their blueray release had new subtitles. Usually when a film company mentions something like that it means that the old subtitles were bad and the new ones are more true the original film. Well in this case the old subtitles must have been really bad because the new subtitles were bad too. I barely understand Japanese and still could see several occasion where the subtitles were either loose or downright detrimental. I really hope that subtitles on other arrow releases aren't this bad because on the more serious films proper translation are really important.

So yeah. Not much to say about it. If you want what the title entails then watch it but otherwise steer clear (or read the more serious book instead)
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

strangenova wrote:
Ack wrote:That depends. Do you like extremely low budget British fantasy films from the 1980s?

Love Excalibur. Kull is dumb but fun. I just wish he used the weapon more.
Ack

Post by Ack »

strangenova wrote:

Exactly, only with even less budget. In Hawk, they use bouncy balls and silly string for magic spells, cheap editing tricks to create rapid fire bows and crossbows, and a cartoon hawk flies at the screen. It's amazing.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Ack wrote:
strangenova wrote:

Exactly, only with even less budget. In Hawk, they use bouncy balls and silly string for magic spells, cheap editing tricks to create rapid fire bows and crossbows, and a cartoon hawk flies at the screen. It's amazing.

Well my interest is peaked, I must see this now. Is it available on any streaming services or do I need to get a dvd?
Ack

Post by Ack »

Officially, not to my knowledge. I mean it may be on YouTube in its entirety, but I could never condone that. Nope. Even if it were on YouTube for free. Nope. Can't condone it. On YouTube.