What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by Jagosaurus »

Bright

No spoilers.

Well, I'll start by saying I enjoyed this Netflix film more than I expected. The universe in Bright is what most readers would call Urban Fiction. This is a popular book genre right now. To give you a better idea, the first novel series that comes to mind is The Dresden Files. You have a wizard fighting the underground supernatural in modern day Chicago. Here is where Bright differs... the supernatural and fantasy elements are out in the open. You have orcs and elves living beside humans in modern day LA. This creates intense rivalries between races as they call them. Also, many of the urban fiction novels are aimed at young adults... Bright is straight up R rated with drugs, guns, violence, gangs, F bombs, and strip clubs.

This is one of the movies where the title itself holds significance, and I can't reference this aspect without exposing decent plot line spoilers outside of the original trailers. At its core, the first Orc to join the police department is Will Smith's (portraying Office Ward) partner. They are catching heat from all races on this when they stumble into a safe house containing an object way over their heads. They get stuck in the middle of an all out battle and somehow manage to drag even more parties into the ensuing craziness.

Overall, if you're a fan of fantasy or the urban fiction craze, but want something a little less PG13 and more R rated gritty, this is up your alley. I should note, I am a fan of the Dresden Files and similar urban fiction book series, so perhaps I am a bit partial to the background this movie occurs on.

The Will Smith jokes and situational humor between the main characters are both mixed in well. I never felt it was forced and added levity to a movie that was otherwise had very light bright spots (see what I did there :wink: ).

This is one of those polarizing movies: 27% on Rotten Tomatoes by critics but 86% of the audience liked it. While it wasn't amazing, it was a fun, Sunday night Netflix movie. I'll be tuning in to the sequel when it is released.

Any one else check this out yet?

2018 Movies Watched
Count: 7
- January -
1. Hitman: Agent 47
2. Riddick (2013)*
3. Real Steel
4. Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol
5. The Place Beyond the Pines
6. Spectral

- February -
7. Bright

* Indicates a re-watch

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
marurun

Post by marurun »

Urban fantasy, not urban fiction. Otherwise I read ya.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

marurun wrote:Urban fantasy, not urban fiction. Otherwise I read ya.

Resident librarian FTW!

Yeah that's it. Mrs Jago loves that book genre. I bet she has 10+ series she keeps up with. When she saw the trailer she said "it looks like one of my books!" :lol:

It was an interesting take on that typical magical urban setting... loaded with violence, racial themes, nudity, drugs, and cursing. Those aren't by any means necessary for me to enjoy a movie but it surprised me :shock:

Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

I enjoyed the movie. It took the concept of the 80s show Alienation but switched it up with Orcs and Elves.
Ack

Post by Ack »

You guys mean the Shadowrun movie?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

No, it's the movie that seemed like the Shadowrun movie in the trailer but couldn't get the license so they tweaked it so that the magic has always been there but the entirety of world history didn't change one iota.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

MrPopo wrote:No, it's the movie that seemed like the Shadowrun movie in the trailer but couldn't get the license so they tweaked it so that the magic has always been there but the entirety of world history didn't change one iota.

Ah, ok. So this is still the best Shadowrun movie:

https://youtu.be/8GPGQoR6f6w
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

:lol: what did I just watch!!??

Well... a short review of a movie I cant advise you watch coming later tonight or tomorrow. They had a cool semi-horror idea but didn't execute. The suspense is killing you... 8)

bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I just finished the Cloverfield Paradox. Here are my spoilery thoughts.

It is basically Sunshine but with the Cloverfield monster at the end.

Overall it was just ok. 10 Cloverfield Lane is still the best in the series. I think I like Paradox more than the first film though.
NotLuke
24-bit

Post by NotLuke »

bmoc wrote:I just finished the Cloverfield Paradox. Here are my spoilery thoughts.

It is basically Sunshine but with the Cloverfield monster at the end.

Overall it was just ok. 10 Cloverfield Lane is still the best in the series. I think I like Paradox more than the first film though.

It's The Phidelphia Experiment