What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by PretentiousHipster »

I'd also suggest seeing American Hunter for that. It's got a great so bad it's good factor on top of having ridiculous action. Robert Mitchum's son stars in it too.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

SamuraiMegas wrote:The less plot an action movie has, the better- I just want to watch dudes get punched in the face.

Action movies were more worthwhile when there wasn't computer graphics or very minimal. Now it doesn't have the same effect Everything is done in 3D like a videogame. I rather see an 80s movie with a car blowing after crashing into a wall than Furious7 flying cars from skyscraper to skyscraper. Come on.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

If you've got Shudder and don't expect anything Oscar-worthy, check it out. The late Susan Tyrell is perfectly unhinged as Aunt Cheryl, who raises our protagonist Billy after his parents are killed in an accident. But as Billy comes of age Aunt Cheryl does all she can to keep Billy all to herself.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

It's April! Which means, like last year, it's unofficially "Non-American Movie Month". Last year I watched a lot of Japanese films, but this year I've planned more variety.

But I'm still starting with a Japanese film....

The Happiness of the Katakuris

An unwise family business venture ends in perpetual disaster when all the guests at the Katakuris White Lover’s Inn, through no fault of the family, somehow all wind up dead. Does the family go to the police? Hell no. They bury the dead guests in the back yard and cross their fingers that their next guest will still be breathing come morning. Surely they'll figure out this whole Bed and Breakfast thing out eventually.....

Gods, I love Japan and some if it's bat-shit insanity when it comes to cinema. As per my habit, I didn’t look the film up before I watched it, so I had no idea it was a musical. I just saw Takashi Miike on the cover and thought "what the hell". So color me surprised when everyone suddenly broke out into song. The plot makes damn near little sense when you try to explain all the insanity going on, but it all comes together in a very coherent fashion. And it all just ends up being a lot of fun (and is surprisingly heartwarming). I mean, come on. It features a musical number with dancing zombies. What’s not to like? The only downside I can really think of is that the songs aren't all that memorable and the choreography could have used a bit more work. But other than that. Good times.
Last edited by Michi on Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Great review, as always. That was my first Miike movie. Unpopular opinion...

Happiness of the Katakuris > Audition
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
marurun wrote:I actually agree with this about action flicks. If you can't make the plot good and make sense in the context of the action, don't even try. Make the plot as minimal as possible if you aren't going to make it good.

Agree. Have any of you seen Dredd or The Raid? The plot is, basically, we have to go into a building full of criminals and get someone. That’s all you need!

Just rewatched the raid and saw Dredd for the first time last week, some of the best action movies out there.

Just picked up Crank 1&2 on blu ray, always loved them both. Both a ton of fun with a minimalist plot.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

REPO Man wrote:Probably the first silent film I've ever seen

Don't know how I missed this before but dude you're missing out on so much. Firstly, skip Charlie Chaplin, he sucks. Go for Buster Keaton instead. I can give probably like 50-100 recommendations, but these are the obvious classics to me:

Hindle Wakes
Sherlock, Jr.
Die Nibelungen: 1. Film – Siegfried [Siegfried's Death]
The Great White Silence
Lonesome
Человек с киноаппаратом [Man With a Movie Camera]
L' inferno [Dante's Inferno]
Germinal
Foolish Wives
La roue [The Wheel]
Faust: Eine deutsche Volkssage [Faust: A German Folk Legend]
The General
Metropolis
Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
La passion de Jeanne d'Arc [The Passion of Joan of Arc]
Die Büchse der Pandora [Pandora's Box]

I ignored the Soviet Montage movement because it depends if you're into highly stylized work or not.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think there's some Chaplin worth watching. I don't think it's fair necessarily to dismiss him altogether.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Well, if it's on The Criterion Channel I'll look into it.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Criterion should definitely have The Passion of Joan of Arc, Man with a Movie Camera, Metropolis, and Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans. At least, I remember them having the rights back in the Filmstruck days and researching them.

They also have a lot of Chaplin...

Screw it, find you some Keystone Cops!