What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Segata
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by Segata »

Bright on Netflix.

I liked it. It's kinda like the old TV series Alienation. Just with Orcs and Elves in a modern day LA. It has some issues but it's an alright film. Worth a watch.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Segata wrote:Bright on Netflix.

I liked it. It's kinda like the old TV series Alienation. Just with Orcs and Elves in a modern day LA. It has some issues but it's an alright film. Worth a watch.

Same here, it's a perfectly serviceable buddy cop film with some neat ideas. I would have liked a little more world building in place of some of the drawn-out shoot'em up segments but I'd happily watch the planned sequel for that.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

My wife and I watched Sweet Revenge (1998).

It was a delightful, hidden gem of English dark comedy featuring peak Helena Bonham-Carter in fine form.
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

noiseredux wrote:I loved the Ewok movies when I was a kid, but I haven't seen them in 20-ish years. I'm guessing they are pretty terrible in reality. I've thought (many times) about finding a way to watch them again, but I think a part of me is too nervous to find out.

Four words. Wilfred... Brimley.... fight... scene.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

First, Wilfred Brimlet Fight Scene would be a great name for a band.

Second, here is s good article on The Last Jedi:

https://slate.com/arts/2018/01/the-last ... -myth.html

I am really looking forward to watching it again when it comes out on Blu-Ray. (My eight-year-old daughter is beside herself with excitement to see it, but her fuddy-duddy mom and dad won’t let her see it in theaters because it would be too much for her six-year-old brother... :lol: )
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

this might be the first time you've linked to an article in this thread that wasn't from the AV Club. New Year's resolution, or...?
Ack

Post by Ack »

Well, sorry to cut in what with all the Star Wars talk, but I watched something else recently.

Wolf

This is a Danish drama about a poor Moroccan immigrant with exceptional skills as a kickboxer yet a predilection for crime as a means to escape poverty. His life is often in tatters: a brother dying of cancer, a father who despises him, and friends he doesn't realize he can't really trust. But his skill gets him noticed by a Turkish underworld figure, which sets him on a path to rise. It's a shame he can't control his temper, and despite multiple attempts by people to intervene, he is too stubborn to excel or find redemption. When he finally does, it is much too late, though the film wisely leaves the ending open as to what may be about to happen.

Wolf feels like a very human drama, and it is sometimes tough to watch as the antihero repeatedly fails to start taking the right steps. But you can't help but root for him anyway and hope for the best. I greatly enjoyed this film, particularly Marwan Kenzari's performance. He's believable but heartbreaking in his performance.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

noiseredux wrote:this might be the first time you've linked to an article in this thread that wasn't from the AV Club. New Year's resolution, or...?

:lol:

I do read other sites, and The AVClub isn’t what it used to be, sadly...
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Rewatched Demon, which is still great. Also rewatched Deadpool, which is also still great.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I was not a fan of Wolf. Or Bright. Both felt like they needed 10 minutes at the beginning to set them up better.