What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ack

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by Ack »

So what did you like about it? I'd like a paragraph with your thoughts. You want to make film, so break this one down for me.
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

For the last few years (starting in 2013), I have a tradition of watching a Studio Ghibli film as the new year is about to hit.

This year it was the turn of 'Only Yesterday'.

I have to admit, I found the movie boring for most of its run, it seemed to be a story about a 90's hipster nostalgically musing about her childhood without any real point. Though I ended up enjoying the ending and the main, mostly nostalgic message about the film and the inner childhood we all carry inside of us.

Ultimately, it was hard for me to relate to the main character in the film, for not only being female, growing up at a completely different time (60's, 70's) and place (Japan) but also because it lacked any real urgency to its plot (nothing was ever really at stake).

Still, I'm glad it managed to hit a chord with me by the end, since if it hadn't, I would rank it as my worst Ghibli film ever, and that position is still retained by Ponyo.

Disclaimer: I don't really like movies much. What I mean by that is that I don't like movies as a format. Books, games or TV series are far better at telling a story, since good plot needs time to be nuanced and not to be condensed in a 2:30 hour format at best. That is not to say that some stories can't be told in a short time frame, but the type of world building narratives I generally enjoy need their breadth.

As such, I may not be posting in this topic very often, despite having a small backlog of films to watch, some which I set up as early as 2013, and despite forcing myself to watch some, mostly 80's horror films last year, mainly the entire Hellraiser series, The Fly and Videodrome. I'm generally lucky if I watch five films in an entire year (and I rarely watch new stuff).
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Recently rewatched "Jason X". In it, a cryogenically frozen Jason ends up in the 25th century on a spaceship where he pursues a group of students on a ship. Basically like the first 2/3rds of Jason Takes Manhattan, but in space. While many of the deaths are intricate and gory as one could expect a Friday the 13th series entry to be, it's also very plodding, very thematically flaccid and while the Jason's makeover by way of body-repairing futuristic nanites is quite formidable and badass, it's too little, too late.

And I also recently rewatched "Jesus Christ Superstar: Live Arena Tour" on Blu-Ray, a live production of Jesus Christ Superstar from 2013. It details the final days of Jesus, albeit set against a 2010s-styled backdrop, which fits into a statement mentioned during the number "Superstar", stating that Jesus could have reached more people in the present-day. Though ironically it demonstrates that in the end, Jesus' statement that "everything is fixed and you can't change it" rings truer, since everything ends the same no matter the fact that this production, like a previous made-for-TV adaptation from 2000, takes place in the present-day.

I also just finished "Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday", which is New Line's first Friday the 13th film, though many argue that it jumped the shark and tried to add an unnecessary wrinkle into the mythos by having Jason...

being an unkillable creature that can be reborn via another Vorhees, but can also be killed by one as well. It's also interesting to mention that despite not having the rights to Evil Dead, they instead heavily inferred that Jason was resurrected by the Necronomicon and is now a Deadite. But considering the events of Freddy vs Jason and Jason X, it's safe to say that even this can't kill Jason for good, though Jason was technically resurrected by Freddy in Freddy vs Jason.

But considering how all the New Line-era Friday the 13th films turn out, remake included, it's possible that even when the rights to the series are sorted out by Victor Miller and Sean S. Cunningham, we might not see a halfway decent Ft13 film ever again.
salt_and_pepper

Post by salt_and_pepper »

Johnny English Strikes Again. Good classic humor, sometimes embarrassing though. But the film is very light, no worries before and after view. If you need something to relax and qualitatively kill the time - that's it.
ayumarcan
8-bit

Post by ayumarcan »

Was literally fored to go and watch Mary Poppins with my little sister and well... I liked it. A nice film with great songs.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Anyone see the trailer for the new James Gunn movie Bright Burn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6eB0JT ... e=youtu.be

Looks like Superman growing up wrong. :shock:
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Yeah, I'm interested. A horror response to the last decade of superhero movies feels warranted.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Watched Hellraiser: Judgement recently. While not the worst straight-to-video Hellraiser film it's nowhere near as good as the original films.

The film, which is directed by Gary J. Tunnicliffe who worked on a few of the previous straight-to-video Hellraiser films, was actually done initially without the Hellraiser name and license attached to it, much like them all (save for Revelations, but let's just ignore that one).

While it does introduce some new elements to the mythos, even featuring key players on the other side of the good-vs-evil dynamic, it's just another generic horror film.

The plot involves a police investigation, led by Sean and his brother/partner David along with Christine Egerton, into a serial killer called The Preceptor, whose murders are based on The Ten Commandments. But it's also about one of the cops, Sean, who cross paths with the forces of hell. As it turns out, advancing technology is making the iconic puzzle box obsolete, while sin and desire remain the same. And they've put one of the cops on trial, led by The Auditor, only for the angel Jophiel to intervene.

But to me where it shines is its ending...

via Wikipedia...
Aware that someone from hell would come to collect his soul after his initial escape, Sean attempts to offer Alison and David to Pinhead. Pinhead tells him that Alison and David will be dealt with for opening the box but, because a separate faction of hell wanted his soul, no deal will be made. The Auditor appears, telling Sean that the Inquisition has found him guilty of his sins. Jophiel intervenes again and protests to Pinhead and the Auditor that Sean is part of heaven's plan to instill fear into sinners. Pinhead arranges for Sean to be killed by Egerton, and spitefully dispatches Jophiel. As punishment, God expels Pinhead from hell and forces him to walk the earth as a mortal man. In a post-credits scene, a group of Mormon missionaries in Germany approach a house and are captured by the Stygian Inquisition.
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

REPO Man wrote:Watched Hellraiser: Judgement recently. While not the worst straight-to-video Hellraiser film it's nowhere near as good as the original films.

As someone who watched the entire series for the very first time in 2018, I feel qualified to comment on this movie!

It is my opinion, that the best thing about the entire series, is the mythos behind the Cenobites and Clive Barker's stylistic nightmarish designs. Especially how 'grey' their depictions are, as purveyors of pleasure and pain instead of plain evil. Though later movies (and the second book apparently though I haven't read any) made them more like evil demons from hell with no subtle nuance. Also of course, Pinhead himself, who is bigger as a culture and horror icon than any of his movies at this point, by a long shot.

So in that respect, this movie was the same, any part involving the Auditor and his faction especially, was awfully interesting to watch, and like the previous movies (except maybe the first) the mundane human stuff is easily what brings the whole movie down.

Doug Bradley's absence as Pinhead was felt yet again, but this new replacement, wasn't nearly as bad as a replacement as the previous guy, nor was his makeup as horrible.

And as good of a job as Gary J. Tunnicliffe did playing the Auditor himself, and as the de-facto custodial of the series at this point (unless that rumored remake with an actual budget ever gets green lit). He doesn't seem to understand how banal and off putting for most fans of the series (or pretty much anyone circa 2019) is the human drama, and he thinks that a movie that's all about factions of hell vying for dominance would be 'boring' for the audience, oh my how wrong he is!

But in any case, whenever the rights are up for expiring again, hopefully we'll get something closer to Judgment than any of the previous recent films, who seemed to try outdo each other on how horrible they were.

Edit: Fixed a very blatant typo.
Last edited by Arenegeth on Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Personally, I think it needs a reboot, preferably based directly on the original novella. And any and all mythos needs to be hammered out at the very beginning, in lieu of the standard practice of winging it.