What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Stark
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by Stark »

Luke?
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Stark wrote:Luke?

Clearly he says he's not luke lol.

I'd probaby see this stupid movie, I'm a danny mcbride fan though.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Bushwick

Wow, great action flick! The story leaves a lot of questions due to a focus on the action. Impressive that almost entire movie continuous, I could spot only one scene cut. The "scripting" in staging the next "shot" well planned. Posting too much gives away the movie, so all I can say is watch it to see where the inspiration on the movie style.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I watched the 2011 movie Real Steel.

This one was a stinker for me. I was pretty surprised to see it have a 7/10 on IMDB. I'd give it a 5/10 at best.

Some slight spoilers below but I can't advise you see this one.

We're in the future and real boxing no longer exist. Fans wanted bigger, badder fights so we watch machines. Okay... :lol:

You never really find out why the protagonist robot is different but they go into the detail of why the villain robot is such a good fighter. You are just suppose to accept he's special...

Also, they have a gimmick where the robot dances on the way out to the ring to some dub step type music. It sounds corny but it's actually pretty cool. The crowd really gets behind him as the underdog when they see this. AND THEY DON'T SHOW IT FOR THE MAIN EVENT FIGHT. Why...

I'd think maybe this one would be okay for kiddos but it has probably 10+ curse words and there's a human fight scene where gangsters beat someone to near death. Hugh Jackman is also a terrible father. I'm perfectly fine with turn off your brain action movies but this one didn't hit the mark for me. It had potential and budget but wiffed hard.

At least we got Evangeline Lilly 8)

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:based on its reviews, my wife is the only person in the world who really, really liked Only God Forgives. :lol:

I just watched this finally (been on the "to do" list ever since I watched Drive some years ago)...and I am now another person who really, really likes the movie. Hoping to watch The Neon Demon in the next day or two!
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I also really enjoyed Drive. I re-watched it a couple months back and appreciated it even more. Assuming those are by the same director?

This weekend I also watched Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol

In my last post I mentioned turn off your brain action movies, well... here you go!

No spoilers beyond what's in the trailer.

This one differs from MI 1-3 as the group has been cut off after being accused of a foreign terrorist crime. They have to prove their innocence while of course stopping the real villians, all with no back up from IMF and while being hunted by the authorities.

Jeremy Renner's character makes his debut here, and he plays it wonderfully. Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz) is back after appearing in MI3. He plays a bigger roll here and adds some great levity to the action. He had me laughing out loud several times.

This is a popcorn action flick. It kept me entertained and has MI5 Rouge Nation now on my "to watch" list.

MI4 can be rented via Google Play's streaming service for $4 in HD.

Sidebar on Google Play:
This is how I watch most of my movies these days. Once you pull the trigger, you have 30 days to watch it. Once you begin it, you have 48 hours to wrap up. You can watch it multiple times or broken up into parts. I now even add movies currently in theaters to my watch list queue, and Google will send me a notification when they're available for rent. It's linked to my paypal for easy payments. I use the app on my Roku 4K Ultra although I'm renting in 1080p (some movies are available in 4K). Overall, I'm a big fan of their setup, ecosystem, and ease of use. The stream is rock solid, and it looks like great. I remember a few years back I could always tell the bit rate was lower when streaming, but not now. It works well for me with 2 little ones and not much free time (also hiring a baby sitter for theater trips adds up quick!). I also am trying to steer clear of physical DVD/BD copy clutter moving forward.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
marurun

Post by marurun »

Jagosaurus wrote:This weekend I also watched Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol

This is the first MI film I think I enjoyed since the first one. Definitely well-directed, and it integrated levity better into the script.

Jagosaurus wrote:This is a popcorn action flick. It kept me entertained and has MI5 Rouge Nation now on my "to watch" list.

Is the Rouge nation the one where everyone has to wear a thick layer of makeup?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

dsheinem wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:based on its reviews, my wife is the only person in the world who really, really liked Only God Forgives. :lol:

I just watched this finally (been on the "to do" list ever since I watched Drive some years ago)...and I am now another person who really, really likes the movie. Hoping to watch The Neon Demon in the next day or two!

Nice. Only God Forgives is an interesting film, to say the least. I view it as a akin to a Jackie Chan “super-cop” movie told from the villain’s perspective (which, in turn, makes it into almost a horror film).

The Neon Demon is rad. Like 100% awesome. My wife wasn’t as big on it, but I thought it was a pretty great horror film. I hope you “enjoy” it (especially the absolutely bonkers ending!).
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

I started Only God Forgives, but gave up on it a little ways in, hard to articulate what I didn't like about it. I was watching it alone and just kinda wanted to just do something else instead ...

I've had my eye on Neon Demon looks great.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Stark wrote:I started Only God Forgives, but gave up on it a little ways in, hard to articulate what I didn't like about it. I was watching it alone and just kinda wanted to just do something else instead ...

I've had my eye on Neon Demon looks great.

I've been super-impressed by every Refn film I've seen. Bronson is an absolute masterpiece - perhaps his best...but Drive and Only God Forgives are both excellent films that bring together intensity with surrealist/existentialism/avant-garde tendencies (it isn't surprising that he dedicated both to Alejandro Jodorowsky). If you haven't checked out his documentary on Jodorowsky's Dune, that is a very different but no less excellent film project.

Has anyone seen The Pusher trilogy, or Fear X, or Valhalla Rising? I am interested in checking these out sometime soon too. The latter one on that list has at least a title that is inspired by some of Kenneth Anger's films, which especially piques my curiosity.