What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Michi
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by Michi »

New write-up time: Family Reunion (1989)

RCBH928 wrote:Any one watched the 50s version of House of Wax and House on Haunted Hill?
Wondering if they are worth the watch since I will be watching the more modern versions of them.

Both of the originals have Vincent Price in them, so I love them for that alone. They're a little campy in parts, but I think they hold up pretty well.

Honestly, they're so different from the originals that I think they're worth it. House of Wax, in particular, is just radically different. The original is more of a subtle monster movie/thriller, while the remake was reworked into more of a slasher. The only real thing linking them together is that they both have a wax artist.
Last edited by Michi on Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Ziggy587 wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:Any one watched the 50s version of House of Wax and House on Haunted Hill?
Wondering if they are worth the watch since I will be watching the more modern versions of them.

I like House on Haunted Hill. I remember seeing the remake when it was released and not really being impressed. The original I rewatched fairly recently and I still liked it.

Cinemassacre has a good review of it that's worth watching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpBnj-l3xTs

There's a colorized version available if need be (some people can't watch B&W movies).

I love House on Haunted Hill. Vincent Price made it look so fun to act so creepy. :mrgreen:

The 1999 remake is actually a decent horror movie; it just has nothing to do with House on Haunted Hill. I would like that movie a little bit more if it was titled anything else.
jp1
Next-Gen

Post by jp1 »

samsonlonghair wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:

I like House on Haunted Hill. I remember seeing the remake when it was released and not really being impressed. The original I rewatched fairly recently and I still liked it.

Cinemassacre has a good review of it that's worth watching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpBnj-l3xTs

There's a colorized version available if need be (some people can't watch B&W movies).

I love House on Haunted Hill. Vincent Price made it look so fun to act so creepy. :mrgreen:

The 1999 remake is actually a decent horror movie; it just has nothing to do with House on Haunted Hill. I would like that movie a little bit more if it was titled anything else.

I love both. I think the remake hasn't aged well since the creepy ghost movement has been ripped off a million times. When it came out I remember thinking it was pretty effective, now it's more nostalgia popcorn.

The beginning of the original is really great. I don't really dig the colorized version, it takes me out of the movie a bit.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

In short, RCBH928, yes they're both still worth a watch.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Thanks everyone, I guess I will watch both.

Ziggy587 wrote:Cinemassacre has a good review of it that's worth watching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpBnj-l3xTs

honest question, are colorized B&W movies reflect the real colors or is it based on the imagination of the artist colorizing the B&W footage?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

jp1 wrote:The beginning of the original is really great. I don't really dig the colorized version, it takes me out of the movie a bit.

My DVD has only the B&W version. When I saw the colorized version was on Prime Video, I decided to watch it. I've only ever seen the B&W version, but I didn't mind the colorized version at all. It was kind of neat.

RCBH928 wrote:honest question, are colorized B&W movies reflect the real colors or is it based on the imagination of the artist colorizing the B&W footage?

There was actually a good video on YouTube where someone took an already color movie and made it black and white then colorized it so he could compare the colors to the real thing, but I can't find that video now.

But to answer your question, yes and no. There were many different techniques used to colorize B&W over the years. Earlier methods were more about interpretation or "imagination" as you put it. More modern methods have computers do it, where the computers choose a color based on grey data. Like, this shade of grey is this color and this shade is this color.

There's lots of great videos of the history and modern process on YouTube, if you're interested.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling, a revival/sequel to the classic '90s cartoon about a wallaby dealing with modern life in America.

All the twisted humor returns as, following the show's end, Rocko and his friends Heffer and Filburt return to Earth after being trapped in space for 20 years, only to find that the world has changed greatly since the '90s. While Heffer and Filburt take to this age of smartphones, social media, food trends and mutating energy drinks, Rocko longs for a return to what he remembers. Meanwhile, Rocko's cantankerous neighbor Ed Bighead accidentally bankrupts Conglom-O and in turn the town. But when Rocko proposes a solution to both their problems, a revival of his favorite show created by the Bigheads' son Ralph, he and Heffer and Filburt set off to find the animator, but soon find that a changing world doesn't have to be a bad thing. And find that the world isn't the only one that's changed.

While only a paltry 45 minutes, I strongly recommend this to all my fellow '90s kids.

And bravo for the inclusion of an LGBTQ+ character, in the form of...

Rachel Bighead, formerly Ralph Bighead, who came out as transgender.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

What is it released on?

I actually just got the Rocko's Modern Life series box set. Maybe I'll check out the revival (or whatever they're calling it).
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Ziggy587 wrote:What is it released on?

I actually just got the Rocko's Modern Life series box set. Maybe I'll check out the revival (or whatever they're calling it).

Netflix.

Also, despite all this Augustness I watched Santa Claus: The Movie. Cute.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Godspell. I enjoyed it.