What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by noiseredux »

yeah. I thought it was good for what it was, though. I liked it.
marurun

Post by marurun »

It depends on the studio. In the early to mid 90s, anime was still in the process of blowing up, so the studios were still smaller and working with smaller talent pools. Most of the Manga Entertainment dubs used a particular pool of voice talents. Same for Steamline/Orion (though they mixed it up a bit more than some of the others). CPM (Central Park Media) and all it's various labels tended to pull from the same pool, too. Likewise for Animeigo. Pioneer, Viz, and AD Vision probably had the largest actor pools and therefore the least duplication.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Recently rewatched one of my favorite horror films from the 90s.

Tales From the Hood.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

REPO Man wrote:Recently rewatched one of my favorite horror films from the 90s.

Tales From the Hood.

Great flick! Shameless cheese with a dash of tabasco sauce!

In preparation for the upcoming Terminator Dark Fate, I'm catching up on the franchise. I kinda clocked out after Terminator 3 Rise of the Machines. Now I've got some catching up to do. I will post my thoughts in this thread as I catch up on this odd, inconsistent franchise.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Just watched Joker. About halfway through the movie I was thinking "man, I hope parents aren't bringing their kids to see this." It wasn't until after the movie I just so happened to see that it was rated "R". That explained a lot lol.

An excellent film. Watching Joker's descent into madness was disturbing yet entertaining!
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I watched The Dead Don't Die.
The Dead Don't Die has all the star power a movie needs. Bill Murray and Adam Driver are the leads, and there's an ensemble cast of recognizable stars playing bit parts. Director Jim Jarmusch (who previously directed Bill Murray in Broken Flowers) sets up multiple sub-plots only for them to go nowhere. I get the impression that he shoe-horned in a bunch of scenes just to justify these big actors. Steve Buscemi plays an obnoxious farmer. Iggy Pop is a zombie. Selena Gomez is a random girl who comes into town on a road trip and gets killed soon enough to have no relevance to the plot. Rosie Perez plays a cleaning lady named... get this... Poise Juarez. Tilda Swinton plays... Zelda Winston... who is strange. The audience knows she's strange because Posie Juarez has a whole monologue about how strange she is right before Zelda Winston's first scene. Much screen time is allotted to Tilda Swinton acting strange... only for her to likewise have no major relevance to the plot.

The whole movie is self-aware. The main characters can break the third wall, but it doesn’t come across as funny like in Deadpool. For instance, Adam Driver carries a Star Wars keychain. It’s not a straight up parody of Zombie movies like Shaun of the Dead. It’s just weird.

Weird is the only word I have for This movie. The credits are rolling, and I can’t even say if I liked it or not. It’s smart, but it’s also flipping stupid. It’s kind of a comedy, but it doesn’t tell any jokes, and it doesn’t make me laugh. It’s meta-contextual, but it doesn’t really say anything. It’s like a smart person who uses big words to let you know that he’s smart, but he doesn’t communicate anything to you. What did I just watch?
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

The Amazing Spiderman movies are better "Spiderman" movies than "Homecoming"
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Post by samsonlonghair »

RCBH928 wrote:The Amazing Spiderman movies are better "Spiderman" movies than "Homecoming"
Amazing Spider-Man scripts were definitely more true to the source material, but Tom Holland is a better Peter Parker than Andrew Garfield ever was.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

samsonlonghair wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:The Amazing Spiderman movies are better "Spiderman" movies than "Homecoming"
Amazing Spider-Man scripts were definitely more true to the source material, but Tom Holland is a better Peter Parker than Andrew Garfield ever was.

maybe, I never read the comics, I just watch the movies. Holland might be a better Spiderman, but that does not mean Andrew was a bad one. Cinema is filled with wrong actors to represent fictional characters. I don't feel Andrew was one of those.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Recently rewatched a few faves. The Monster Squad and Night of the Creeps.

Also saw Paperhouse and loved it.

Also finally saw Event Horizon, which felt a bit like a mix of Hellraiser and Lovecraft set in space. Enjoyed it.