What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

Okay, here's one for ya: Between the two, which neo-western do you prefer- Hell or High Water vs No Country for Old Men?

Saw this question somewhere else. Discussion was heated as heck. Personally, I feel (though it's been a while since I've seen them both) that No Country is the better movie from a film criticism standpoint, but I connect with Hell or High Water more.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Ack

Post by Ack »

I... completely agree with you. Something about Hell or High Water has a gut appeal. It feels more like a Western to me, I suppose. That may be an odd thing to say, but No Country is a meld of Western and mob movie. The villain works in an urban setting, and even though the good guy is an antihero, there is a definite villain. Hell or High Water doesn't feel as clear cut, and I like that the characters aren't necessarily bright but aren't all blatantly bad.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

Yep, that whole guy feeling thing. The main character also reminds me of my dad, which probably makes it click more for me.

No Country feeling less "western" is an interesting bit. Because a lot of things I get suggested under the "neo-western" label has that feeling of mob/organized crime mixed in there. I guess it just depends on how wide of a net you use. Galveston (depressing movie, I don't suggest) is sometimes considered a neo-western, but it felt more like a cyberpunk style story shoved into a modern day Texas setting, if that makes sense.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Ack

Post by Ack »

Ha, I will have to check Galveston out, even if it is depressing. I love a good cyberpunk movie.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Well, given that many American westerns owe a dept to Akira Kurosawa, and he in turn to earlier westerns, it would be a shame if westerns didn't continue to benefit from change over time.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Oh, they have. When was the last big Western, set during the "Old West", that wasn't directed by either Tarantino or the Coen brothers? The neo-Western is what we make now, with only the occasional throwback from an established director.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

The remake of Magnificent Seven wasn't directed by either. Now be nice and don't point out it's a remake of a reimagining of a Kurosawa film.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
marurun

Post by marurun »

OK, I won't. Yojimbo was a more entertaining watch, anyway, as was Fistful of Dollars, the western remake of it.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Besides, everybody knows the best remake of a Kurosawa movie was the remake of Hidden Fortress called...oh what was it...oh yeah, Star Wars.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

...And everyone knows that Kurosawa’s best film, Yojimbo, is an adaptation of a Dashiell Hammett novel, Red Harvest.

Also, The Hidden Fortress is really that much like Star Wars. There are some thematic similarities, but otherwise, Star Wars is kind of its own thing.

Also...I’m just kidding about Yojimbo. Kurosawa’s best film is Ran...an adaptation of King Lear.