What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by noiseredux »

man, the New Mutants trailer is looking awesome.

https://youtu.be/bu9e410C__I

With how much I loved Deadpool and Logan, and how good this is looking, I think I'd be happy if Fox just chilled out on the proper X-Men movies and stuck to doing all these spin-offs instead.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

noiseredux wrote:man, the New Mutants trailer is looking awesome.

With how much I loved Deadpool and Logan, and how good this is looking, I think I'd be happy if Fox just chilled out on the proper X-Men movies and stuck to doing all these spin-offs instead.

Rad. I love that they are going with a horror angle. It has such potential.

This is a must-see for me. The New Mutants was the first comics series I really loved, and I have all but four issues of the original 100 issue run. (I am missing the expensive ones, sadly.) As a fan of the series, I am really excited for this.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

noiseredux wrote:man, the New Mutants trailer is looking awesome.

Wow. They're setting it up like a horror movie? I'm not sure what to make of that. :?

At least they're experimenting with taking superhero flicks in a new direction. I can see why you're making the comparison to Deadpool and Logan, but this trailer doesn't really remind me of either of those movies. The scenes with faces in the wall kind of reminds me of The Frighteners with Michael J. Fox.
What was that line about a haunted house? I've read a lot of X-Men comics, but I don't remember anything about a haunted house. Honestly, if I wasn't a big Marvel comics nerd, I wouldn't even realize that this was related to the X-Men at all. Was that the point? Doesn't FOX want to bank on the built-in fanbase that a franchise like this brings to the table? :?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

samsonlonghair wrote: I can see why you're making the comparison to Deadpool and Logan, but this trailer doesn't really remind me of either of those movies.

I'm just talking about how those are both movies in the X-Men (movie) universe, that aren't about the core X-Men team. I'm more excited about Deadpool 2 and X-Force and this New Mutants movie than I would be about another X-Men sequel.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

noiseredux wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote: I can see why you're making the comparison to Deadpool and Logan, but this trailer doesn't really remind me of either of those movies.

I'm just talking about how those are both movies in the X-Men (movie) universe, that aren't about the core X-Men team. I'm more excited about Deadpool 2 and X-Force and this New Mutants movie than I would be about another X-Men sequel.

Yeah, Like I said, I can see why you're making the comparison.

I just don't get it from a marketing perspective. Horror movies definitely have an audience, albeit not so large an audience as superhero flicks have enjoyed the last fifteen years. Who is the target market for this film? Is FOX hoping to wrangle both horror fans and Superhero fans? Because the trailer makes practically no mention of superheroes. Does FOX just assume that they don't need to market their product to superhero fans because superhero fans already know who the new mutants are?

Producers expect a sizeable return on investment for a franchise film, but horror films usually make a good r.o.i. when they keep their budgets small. Superhero films work the opposite way. They need a big budget to make bank, and they rely on the built-in fanbase to account for healthy ticket sales at the box office.

So what's the business plan here? I'd be interested to know the budget for The New Mutants.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

samsonlonghair wrote:Who is the target market for this film?

me and prfsnl I guess, haha.

And my wife who loves horror movies and just likes superhero movies.

I don't know man, I really think it's a cool idea. It really makes me think about comic books as a medium. Like, you can take one comic book universe and totally have a series that's dark and creepy and another that's fun and light hearted and so. I mean, it's not really super different from how the MCU has a movie that's basically a space opera (Guardians) and another that's basically a comedy (Ant-Man) and so on. Really, this X-Men series is being kind of forward-thinking by attempting a horror movie entry. Unless you count Man-Thing or Blade, it really hasn't been done.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Actually it makes perfect sense to me. There's a line in the trailer about baby rattle snakes not yet understanding how to control their venom. In effect, these are mutants who don't yet fully understand how to control their powers, and some of the mutants being included do have powers which could cause some interesting or terrifying effects. The "team" is made up of Magik, Wolfsbane, Cannonball, Sunspot, and Mirage...so you have one character who is pretty much a werewolf, one who can project illusions based on fears and desires, one who manipulates and stores solar power in his body, one who can launch himself into the air, and one who can use magic and teleportation.

Now imagine that you had one of these powers and weren't yet able to control it, particularly an ability like projecting illusions based on other people's worst fears. That's a terrifying prospect, and perfect material for horror fodder. I think it's a brilliant idea to go in this direction. Horror films tend to do well at the box office, and yes, the superhero crowd will likely turn out for their favorite mutants too, so we've got two potential markets here converging. It's almost guaranteed to print money.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

good call, Ack.

I'm also thrilled to get Magik in a film. She's such a great character and was really important to recent X-Men runes like Extraordinary X-Men and Inhumans Vs. X-Men. She's just super interesting.

Anyway, I was a fun of the original X-Men movies back when they were coming out. But I must say that I far far far prefer the First Class and later films as well as these spin-offs.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

What a MAJOR step back.

The should have just skipped Parts 2 and 3 and gone straight to this one.

Not a very GOOD "new beginning". Better than 2 and 3 combined, but not as good as Part 4.

Currently watching:

A little over 30 minutes in and I can honestly say they should have skipped Part 5 and gone straight to Part 6.

So basically:

Watch Part 1.
Skip 2-3.
Part 4's got flashbacks to 1-3 so with some editing (read: adding necessary 2-3 footage into part 4) this could be a better sequel to Part 1.
Skip 5.
Watch Part 6, taking the BS science behind...
Jason getting resurrected by a fucking lightning bolt striking a "spear" that's really just part of a metal fence and TOTALLY ignoring the much taller things the lighting bolt could have struck

...with a grain of salt.

Still gotta watch Parts 7 and 8. Gonna watch Jason Goes to Hell as well. IDK if I'm gonna watch Jason X, Freddy vs Jason or the reboot.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

11/10 for Blade Runner 2049.