What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ack

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by Ack »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Kurosawa’s best film is Ran...an adaptation of King Lear.

Truth.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think Ran is a rather... boring film. Good, but boring. Yojimbo may not be his best, but it's my favorite, and I enjoy it the most. I think my candidate for best would be either Rashamon or Seven Samurai.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Ikiru is my favorite. It changed my entire outlook on life. So, so good. For me, it is up there for “best” Akira Kurosawa film,along with Ran, Rashomon, The Seven Samurai, and Throne of Blood. (High and Low is my favorite Akira Kurosawa “hidden gem” movie.)

Question...What is his worst film? I haven’t quite seen all of his films, but I thought The Idiot, The Men Who Tread on Tiger’s Tails, and I Live in Fear we’re all relatively poor.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I wasn't a big fan of Dodes'ka-den. It's his first color film, and it doesn't feel as comfortable. The subject matter focusing on the lives of destitute folks living in a junkyard also felt like a rehash of what he had explored in The Lower Depths, which I loved.

In general, I prefer his black and white work to his work in color, I just really love Ran.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

Ack wrote:Ha, I will have to check Galveston out, even if it is depressing. I love a good cyberpunk movie.

Yeah, maybe not the best explanation. Really and truthfully, "cyberpunk" in feeling in the sense that it comes off grimy and dark for no good reason. Style over substance type of stuff. That was just the most recent one I've seen, it's hard to describe what I'm getting at.

marurun wrote:Well, given that many American westerns owe a dept to Akira Kurosawa, and he in turn to earlier westerns, it would be a shame if westerns didn't continue to benefit from change over time.

Agreed, though the more modern stuff I've seen really isn't what I'm looking for with that. There's a handful of newer westerns coming out of Europe, most of the ones I've seen being from a woman's perspective. A lot also involve Mormons or religious extremism as the antagonists. Good movies, but not good westerns.

Most of the best recent westerns I've seen have been TV shows- Godless and Hell on Wheels being... pretty much the only ones.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I’ve got two for you, forlorn. Have you seen either Dead Man’s Burden (2012) or The Ballad or Lefty Brown (2017)? Both are pretty great westerns, and I think both would be up your alley.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Saw Us. It's great. Go see it. That is all.
Jake Armitage
16-bit

Post by Jake Armitage »

Mrs. Armitage and I watched Apocalypto tonite -we really enjoyed it.

The latter portion was very reminiscent of one of my favorite films - The Naked Prey from 1965.

Both movies are pretty intense - but well worth watching if you enjoy such things.

I stumbled on this trailer today whilst looking for something else:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opSNG3sWdjs

It looks like something I will enjoy - so I think I will order it when I next order stuff from Amazon.
"When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!"
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Ack wrote:Saw Us. It's great. Go see it. That is all.

Ack, how horror-y is it? Hard to gauge tone from the trailer.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Stark wrote:
Ack wrote:Saw Us. It's great. Go see it. That is all.

Ack, how horror-y is it? Hard to gauge tone from the trailer.

really, the trailer looks downright creepy to me lol. i enjoyed his first movie, this one looks just as good.