What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I don’t actually like her music, and I think her collaborations with Eminem are awful. Similarly, I don’t like the works of Monet, Klimt, and Chopin either. Liking someone’s art and respecting someone’s achievements are two different things, however.
marurun

Post by marurun »

You know, I'm not a big fan of modern pop, either. It is indeed very manufactured, simplified, and engineered to appeal, but a lot of that comes from the producers, sound engineers, and songwriters (when not the artist themselves). We shouldn't let THOSE complaints, however, be used against the artist in question. It's not like any old shmoe could sing and perform these songs with no issues whatsoever. Pop stars do have to have a specific set of skills, and even if you don't like their songs or the production methods used to generate them (and other top 40 fare), it's not good form to shit on the artists themselves unless they are personally responsible for something problematic, like Justin Timberlake's issues with cultural appropriation, or being Nickelback or Creed (bitd). Rihanna has genuine talent, regardless of the issues that plague top 40 pop music and your (and my) distaste for the music itself. So yes, I agree that modern pop largely sucks and has deep-rooted issues. I do not agree that that makes every modern pop artist a hack. That is an unfounded conclusion to draw and makes you sound like a jerk.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Rewatched the first three Friday the 13th films and The Devil's Carnival.

Also saw, and loved, the live-action Full Metal Alchemist film on Netflix.
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

Man I really opened a whole can of worms here by bringing up Rihanna.

I was just saying her presence in the movie pulled me out of it. Now my Y chromosome really enjoyed her dance number in it, but my brain didn’t think it belonged. And her lines and acting were both awful.

I actually enjoy a couple of her songs though. I don’t really listen to much modern pop, and they are auto tuned and almost certainly written mostly by someone else (i think I read it’s basically one guy who writes almost all the pop music out there), but I still can’t help liking Umbrella and Disturbia.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

ESauced wrote:Man I really opened a whole can of worms here by bringing up Rihanna.

I was just saying her presence in the movie pulled me out of it. Now my Y chromosome really enjoyed her dance number in it, but my brain didn’t think it belonged. And her lines and acting were both awful.

I actually enjoy a couple of her songs though. I don’t really listen to much modern pop, and they are auto tuned and almost certainly written mostly by someone else (i think I read it’s basically one guy who writes almost all the pop music out there), but I still can’t help liking Umbrella and Disturbia.

See... this here is a reasonable comment! Kudos to you for being a rational human being on the subject.. And don't worry, you didn't open a can of worms in the least!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
AznKhmerBoi
Next-Gen

Post by AznKhmerBoi »

Event Horizon - 9\10
cant believe I held off watching this for so long. Have the DVD in my collection and just kept passing on it whenever I am in a movie mood.
PSN- jacktsang05
WiiU- jacktsang05

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

oh, I forgot to mention that I watched Thor: Ragnarok I think? It was pretty damn great.

EDIT: This is also pretty interesting,

Star Wars: The Last Jedi [...] arrives in two weeks on Blu-ray. Today, director Rian Johnson revealed that one of the special features included in the release is a music-only version of the film. “This is the full movie, but with no dialogue, fx or backgrounds... just John [Williams’] score,” he wrote. “I really wanted to put this out, it’s really something to see John’s music play with the movie, like a silent film.”
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Rewatched Alleluia: The Devil's Carnival two nights ago. Still amazing and still waiting for news of TDC3.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

noiseredux wrote:oh, I forgot to mention that I watched Thor: Ragnarok I think? It was pretty damn great.

EDIT: This is also pretty interesting,

Star Wars: The Last Jedi [...] arrives in two weeks on Blu-ray. Today, director Rian Johnson revealed that one of the special features included in the release is a music-only version of the film. “This is the full movie, but with no dialogue, fx or backgrounds... just John [Williams’] score,” he wrote. “I really wanted to put this out, it’s really something to see John’s music play with the movie, like a silent film.”

I love the score only cuts of movies. They did that for the matrix movies as well with composer commentary optional. Loved it!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I had no idea there was a score only version of The Matrix. I'd watch that for sure.