What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by Jagosaurus »

Well, adding 10 Cloverfield Lane to my queue. I really enjoyed the original.

Yesterday I watched:

47 Meters Down

No spoilers. Available on Netflix.

When I originally saw this trailer, I thought it could have major potential if done correctly. For example, much of the terror in The Descent was the bleak situation and claustrophobic environment. The monsters were secondary. I was hoping this movie could capture this same feeling in the viewer.

We know the divers get trapped roughly 140 feet underwater. They have limited air and must ascend slowly to avoid the bends (aka decompression sickness). Not a huge issue normally but they're in great white shark infested waters. This is actually a fairly unique idea that could have worked.

First, the good. The sharks look descent. They seemed to use a mix of actual sharks, animatronics, & CGI. Nothing looked extremely B movie there.

Unfortunately, this movie falls short. There are moments of suspense but it's just a tease of what could have been.

This ultimately reminds me of one those movies your entire junior high would have talked about. Your buddy's mom would've taken a Suburban full of 12 year old boys to see it. You meet your girlfriends who act scared throughout. Then you look back years later and realize... ehhh it wasn't very good :lol:. Perhaps that was their target audience? Maybe if you have a kiddo in the 12-14 years old range who is looking for a sleep over scary movie, let them give it a go on Netflix. Otherwise, steer clear & keep hoping for a good shark movie.

2018 Movies Watched
Count: 8
- January -
1. Hitman: Agent 47
2. Riddick (2013)*
3. Real Steel
4. Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol
5. The Place Beyond the Pines
6. Spectral

- February -
7. Bright
8. 47 Meters Down

* Indicates a re-watch

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

^ was also known as "in the deep" . I started watching a little of this but got interupted and haven't gotten back to it. Is it basically "open water" in a cage? Been meaning to watch "the shallows" also.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I remember thinking The Shallows looked okay. Any good?

I didn't see Open Water either.

47 Meters would be okay if you were multi-tasking on a treadmill, folding clothes, etc.

stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

I have the shallows, but have yet to watch it. I kinda like shark movies though, so I'll watch most movies in this genre.

Open Water is pretty good, for what it is. Based loosely on a true story of 2 scuba divers left behind from their charter group. It's a 90 minute movie of just 2 people in the ocean surviving and wtf is below us lol. I enjoyed it. I have a fear of being out deep in the ocean so I was into it.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Jagosaurus wrote:Bright
Any one else check this out yet?

I saw Bright, also. The comparison to Alien Nation is inevitable. They are each buddy cop / police procedural dramas; they are each set in Los Angeles; most importantly, they each use an analogy to re-frame the discussion of racial inequality and integration. Could we see a similar franchise built? There seems to be potential here.

To be honest, Bright feels more like a feature-length pilot than a standalone movie. The writers invested a lot of world building into this film. I got the impression that the producers are hoping to build a franchise around Bright. They have all the elements needed for a TV show. Even the Special effects seem more aligned with a TV budget than a movie budget. If the producers nixed the expensive car-destruction scenes and cast a lead cheaper than Will Smith, this could all work as a TV show. I would be surprised if that wasn't the plan all along.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I actually told Mrs. Jago it would make a good TV show. They could flesh out the universe better. Will Smith likely wouldn't have been a part of it though.

marurun

Post by marurun »

They are already making a sequel. I imagine at one point it would be an easy transition into shorter episodes with more of them.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

True, but would Will Smith take time away from Blockbusters to film TV?

According to my reliable source of Entourage :lol: TV acting is much more of a daily grind.

NotLuke
24-bit

Post by NotLuke »

samsonlonghair wrote:Any one else check this out yet?

I saw Bright, also. The comparison to Alien Nation is inevitable. [/quote]

Best comparison I've heard is the strangely accurate Zootopia
If you are going to miss a Will Smith movie, miss this one. And others, but there's not much Will Smithyness in this. At all. Is any character likeable in this? Am I projecting too much Max Landis ugh on this? Trailers are out for the sequel, which I doubt I'll catch.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I need to look up Alien Nation. I've seen Zootopia. That's reaching quite a bit other than a bunny being the first rabbit cop in it.

I can think of 3 very Will Smith moments off the top of my head so I'm sure there were 5+. 2 of those I was laughing out loud. While it wasn't full of them like MIB or ID4, and maybe they aren't as "Fresh Prince," they're there.

I like the 2 hour TV pilot (as a HBO type show) comparison. There was also way too much back story and universe lore left unexplained. This info gets dove into more in a TV series... or 9 hours worth of Peter Jackson Hobbit movies :lol: