What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
NotLuke
24-bit

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by NotLuke »

MrPopo wrote:HOLY SHIT!

They referenced MvC2. I was blown away.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

NotLuke wrote:

They referenced MvC2. I was blown away.

.... and now "Gonna take you for a ride..." character select song is in my head :lol:

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

MrPopo wrote:
REPO Man wrote:

What?

When the time comes you'll know.

Oh my. :shock:
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Avengers Infinity War talk
I picked up my fiance from work the other day. On the way back to the car, we pass a few mounds of mulch the landscaping crew had piled up.

Her: I hate these piles of mulch.
Me: Hey, don't disrespect. That pile of mulch over there used to be Spider-Man.
Her: Shut up, Sam. :x
Me: I don't want to die, Mr. Stark. :wink:
Her: Shut THE FUCK up, Sam! :evil:

She glared at me the whole ride home. Gave me them ol' dagger eyes. I probably deserved it though. :lol:
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I can't even.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Saw it today. So it's the Empire Strikes Back of the Avengers universe.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

It's amazing is what it is.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I will give Infinity War credit for being absolutely chock full of action sequences. I know the phrase, "non-stop action" is cliche, but this time it's true. I don't believe I have seen so much action on screen in a single movie before. Even Return of the King didn't have this much action. If the ending wasn't so darn depressing, this would be among my favorite Marvel movies.
NotLuke
24-bit

Post by NotLuke »

IT (2017)

Looking for reasons people liked this movie. Jimmy Fallon? Clowns? I can only assume people who liked this are easily scared by clowns. I'm not. However, my stomach turns at the sight of a fairly realistic bone break, so the movie did get that reaction out of me. Other than that...not much of nothing. The kids weren't interesting, and neither were their problems. Every "terror" in this movie can be solved by talking to one reasonable adult. But there are no reasonable adults in Derry because the story assumes you aren't smart enough to ask where all the reasonable adults are. Or maybe I'm making the assumption the screenwriters made that assumption. Either way one scary German guy would have solved every one of Derry's problem over a slice of chocolate cake.

I'm not really sure how to make the character Pennywise or the other hallucinations as scary on screen as they are on paper. My main gripe with the movie is that it isn't a lick scary and has such great scary stuff to draw from. The kids' fear is his salt to the flesh- that's brilliantly terrorizing but I didn't see that terror anywhere in the movie.

CHAIN REACTION

Watching it, sort of, as I type. I've never even heard of it before today.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

NotLuke wrote:IT (2017)
But there are no reasonable adults in Derry because the story assumes you aren't smart enough to ask where all the reasonable adults are.

I think part (a lot?) of the horror in IT, comes from the notion that the adults are fully aware and perhaps even complicit in regards to Pennywise. The lady at the beginning looks out the Window, sees a huge pool of blood around the storm drain and just calmly closes her curtains. Certainly not the behavior of a reasonable adult, but likewise not the behavior of someone who's unaware of what's actually going down out there. That said, I'd probably give a slight nod to the original mini-series adaptation of IT. Skarsgård does quite well as Pennywise, but it's pretty tough to compete with Tim Curry. I'm still looking forward to the sequel though.