What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by RCBH928 »

The World's End

Silly movie at face value but carries a deeper and philosophical meaning. Definitely not your average Hollywood formula. I don't think I have seen a movie do this before, maybe Pulp Fiction.

I can't help but notice a strong connection between it and Shaun of the Dead.

EDIT: Ok I won't delete the previous comment but I did notice Nick Frost, but I didn't realize its the same actor from Shaun of the Dead (Pegg). I am really bad with faces.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Worlds End, Shaun of the Dead, and Hot Fuzz are a stylistic trilogy of movies with the same core people working on them that are plays on standard genre movies. If you haven't seen it you should add Hot Fuzz to your movie queue.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Ack wrote:Hey guys, if you're on Twitter and need something to do this weekend, I've got something for you. I'm taking over the TCM Underground Twitter handle and will be live tweeting during the TCM Underground showing of David Cronenberg's Rabid, at 3:45 am on July 6. That's Friday night/Saturday morning.

You guys should join me. Especially you, Michi. You know you want to watch Rabid with me.

I do want to watch Rabid with you. But I'm out of town this weekend and I don't think I can function on so little sleep Saturday morning :lol: I'll have to dvr it so I can watch it later, as I have not yet seen Rabid.

Is it just me, or is TCM pushing the Underground movies back later and later? I swear they used to start at damn near a 2am on the dot, but they seem to be getting pushed back lately :?
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

MrPopo wrote:Worlds End, Shaun of the Dead, and Hot Fuzz are a stylistic trilogy of movies with the same core people working on them that are plays on standard genre movies. If you haven't seen it you should add Hot Fuzz to your movie queue.

I think I saw Hot Fuzz I just can't remember it, there are just too many of these movies of people running around a town and shooting enemies/zombies I get mixed up.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Michi wrote:
Ack wrote:Hey guys, if you're on Twitter and need something to do this weekend, I've got something for you. I'm taking over the TCM Underground Twitter handle and will be live tweeting during the TCM Underground showing of David Cronenberg's Rabid, at 3:45 am on July 6. That's Friday night/Saturday morning.

You guys should join me. Especially you, Michi. You know you want to watch Rabid with me.

I do want to watch Rabid with you. But I'm out of town this weekend and I don't think I can function on so little sleep Saturday morning :lol: I'll have to dvr it so I can watch it later, as I have not yet seen Rabid.

Is it just me, or is TCM pushing the Underground movies back later and later? I swear they used to start at damn near a 2am on the dot, but they seem to be getting pushed back lately :?

They usually do, it was just a scheduling issue this time. Stunts for the holiday moved things about. They also often run two movies when they get started on time, but this week is the exception.

And it's a shame, but enjoy your vacation!
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

New movie write-up time: Parents
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Drecky yet delish D-List '90s horror affair. It tries but tires quickly.

Definite needs a remake and fast. While the practical effects are decent, the CGI effects have aged horribly, probably looking more aged that CGI effects from a decade prior to this film's release.

Though Andrew Divoff's portrayal of the Djinn, both in his original form and his human form, does give off some world-class Freddy meets Pinhead realness that will NOT disappoint.

Is it weird I can see Anthony Rapp as the Djinn in a remake?
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I saw Spider-man Far from Home over the weekend. Cool flick. Plotwise, they borrowed a lot of story beats from James Bond flicks and from class trip / european vacation style movies. It's cute, and light hearted. This movie feels like a break from the heavy-handed serious tone of Infinity War and Endgame.

They really nailed the physics of Spider-man swinging from a web. The way Spider-man has to improvise in the middle of a fight looks exactly right. Having seen every Spider-man movie and cartoon of the last thirty years, I can honestly say that I've never seen a Spider-man action sequence look any better than this.

Jake Gyllenhaal really knocks it out of the park as Mysterio. The costume designers need to win an academy award for somehow making Mysterio look cool, heroic, and even threatening.

Spider-man Far from Home is a solid superhero flick. I recommend it. 8)
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

samsonlonghair wrote:I saw Spider-man Far from Home over the weekend. Cool flick. Plotwise, they borrowed a lot of story beats from James Bond flicks and from class trip / european vacation style movies. It's cute, and light hearted. This movie feels like a break from the heavy-handed serious tone of Infinity War and Endgame.

They really nailed the physics of Spider-man swinging from a web. The way Spider-man has to improvise in the middle of a fight looks exactly right. Having seen every Spider-man movie and cartoon of the last thirty years, I can honestly say that I've never seen a Spider-man action sequence look any better than this.

Jake Gyllenhaal really knocks it out of the park as Mysterio. The costume designers need to win an academy award for somehow making Mysterio look cool, heroic, and even threatening.

Spider-man Far from Home is a solid superhero flick. I recommend it. 8)

I think the last Spiderman movie I saw was the one with Jamie Foxx. Which of the newer ones are good? I generally like superhero movies but not when they are dumbed down like the "Michael Bay" movies. Why did they replace Garfield, not much of money drawer?
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

RCBH928 wrote:I think the last Spiderman movie I saw was the one with Jamie Foxx. Which of the newer ones are good? I generally like superhero movies but not when they are dumbed down like the "Michael Bay" movies. Why did they replace Garfield, not much of money drawer?

The two newer live action ones (Homecoming and now Far from Home) are effectively MCU films (Sony still has rights to the IP, but now it's cooperative). Likely they changed things up to gel with the version of Spider-Man they wanted to have in the Avengers films. If you like the MCU stuff in general, then you should like those.

Into the Spider-verse was also good, and focuses more on alternate universe Spider folk (Miles Morales particularly).