What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by fuctfuct »

I watched The Thing 2011 tonight. Not a remake.. a prequel. Meh. Gave it a 6 on IMDB. A little less boring. Much better acting. CGI wasn't great, but at least I didn't burst out laughing watching this. Like I did multiple times watching 1982's The Thing last night. :D
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

fuctfuct wrote:I didn't burst out laughing watching this. Like I did multiple times watching 1982's The Thing last night.

You say that like it's a bad thing (no pun intended). I burst out laughing watching 1982's The Thing as well, but because of how awesome it is. What exactly makes you laugh about it?
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Post by fuctfuct »

It was just so goofy and silly looking. And not in that cool 80s effect vibe. I duno, like I said, If I watched it in the 80s I may have loved it. I like a lot of dumb movies, lol. I was prob taking it too seriously. I tend to do that with movies now that i'm in my 40s *shrug* :)
marurun

Post by marurun »

fuctfuct wrote:It was just so goofy and silly looking. And not in that cool 80s effect vibe. I duno, like I said, If I watched it in the 80s I may have loved it. I like a lot of dumb movies, lol. I was prob taking it too seriously. I tend to do that with movies now that i'm in my 40s *shrug* :)

At the time it was criticized for being too dark and grotesque, and for the paranoid tone. Oh my how times change.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

fuctfuct wrote:It was just so goofy and silly looking. And not in that cool 80s effect vibe. I duno, like I said, If I watched it in the 80s I may have loved it. I like a lot of dumb movies, lol. I was prob taking it too seriously. I tend to do that with movies now that i'm in my 40s *shrug* :)

If I were to make a list of awesome 80's movies, The Thing would surely be in it. I think you were taking it too seriously. Personally, I love practical effects in movies, of which The Thing has some of the best of.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

This last "Remake" write-up for the month was a surprise for me (mostly because I didn't realize until now that it existed):

Sorority Row (2009)

Some sorority sisters play a mean-ass prank and someone accidentally ends up getting killed. They try to cover it up, but someone knows of their evil ways and sets out to kill everyone involved on the eve of the girls graduation party.

This is essentially the same plot to the original film, House on Sorority Row, but with a little bit of I Know What You Did Last Summer added, a little more self awareness, and a lot more assholery going on. Seriously, it's like they took every bad stereotype of Greek life and cranked that shit up to 11. There is narry a redeemable soul to be found, which makes their deaths all the more satisfying. But it's also slightly distracting, because every other scene you'll be looking at the screen thinking "damn, what an asshole." Does it end up being pretty cliche as far as slashers go? Yeah. But on the plus side, it's fun, it sounds nice, looks stylish, has a decent sense of humor and has Carrie Fisher shooting up a kitchen with a shotgun. What's not to like?
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Post by fuctfuct »

Ziggy587 wrote:If I were to make a list of awesome 80's movies, The Thing would surely be in it. I think you were taking it too seriously. Personally, I love practical effects in movies, of which The Thing has some of the best of.

I usually like them too. *shrug*

I just watched Brothers by Blood. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8368294/ Seems like the kids over there on IMDB hated it. I thought it was great. :)
TheSSNintendo
128-bit

Post by TheSSNintendo »

Ready Player One.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

It's February, the shortest month of the year! And in honor of that shortness, all this month will be dedicated to short film. First up:

Rake

A traumatized young woman recounts the events of the night that caused her to fall into a near catatonic state.

I think 15 minutes is about the perfect amount of time to dedicate to a film that focuses on a creature that was conceived through Creepypasta. The first half feels unnecessary drawn out, but the rest of it moves at a reasonable clip, and the creature looks pretty good for the brief amount of time it’s on screen. Overall, it's a nice little short.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

My feeling towards the Lupin franchise has always been "it's pretty OK." I've seen some of the more popular movies and enjoy them but never felt the need to explore its depths.

This movie is exactly what you'd expect, a fun and exciting adventure that leads to wacky situations full of likeable, emotive characters. Only this time it's in computer animated glory. The quality of the animation in the trailer is what really drew me in so I gave it a shot. It's really great seeing more studios, especially an anime one, really nail 3D computer animation like this. I know some purists might balk that it isn't traditional but it is the future of the medium, especially in the realm of motion pictures. If they can keep to the quality of this film then that future is a bright one.

The plot isn't going knock anyone's socks off but it is a cozy good time with at least a few surprises that caught me off guard. Definitely worth taking a look whether you're a fan of the character or not as Lupin films are always solid standalone experiences.