What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Luke
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by Luke »

AppleQueso wrote: Again, it's got a lot in common with the Bixby TV series in a lot of ways, and that's one of the big reasons why I like it so much.

Do tell.

Other than the beginning and super zoom in on the green eye, I don't see it.

And if I hadn't have watched so many Norton films, I would probably agree with you but in my eyes he was very "Keeping The Faith" Norton. The inflections in his voice and his acting style (don't get me wrong, he's an incredible actor) were almost identical to his other movies and it felt more like "Ed Norton" than "Bruce Banner". Not that it ruined the movie, I believe they could have used a better casting agent.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Luke wrote:
AppleQueso wrote: Again, it's got a lot in common with the Bixby TV series in a lot of ways, and that's one of the big reasons why I like it so much.

Do tell.

Other than the beginning and super zoom in on the green eye, I don't see it.

Really? I'm not particularly good at describing this sorta thing, but it 'felt' like the TV series to me. Like, thematically and tonally and whatnot, not necessarily that it borrowed a lot of things from it.

And if I hadn't have watched so many Norton films, I would probably agree with you but in my eyes he was very "Keeping The Faith" Norton. The inflections in his voice and his acting style (don't get me wrong, he's an incredible actor) were almost identical to his other movies and it felt more like "Ed Norton" than "Bruce Banner". Not that it ruined the movie, I believe they could have used a better casting agent.

I'll admit, I liked Mark Ruffalo a lot better in the role when I saw Avengers. Wish he would've been Bruce from the beginning.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

AppleQueso wrote:Really? I'm not particularly good at describing this sorta thing, but it 'felt' like the TV series to me. Like, thematically and tonally and whatnot, not necessarily that it borrowed a lot of things from it.

I'll admit, I liked Mark Ruffalo a lot better in the role when I saw Avengers. Wish he would've been Bruce from the beginning.

I grew up with the Hulk series on TV, but it's been a while since I've watched it so I could have selective memory. I remember it being very campy (the green paint would get all over whatever the hulk touched) and when there wasn't any action it was very "Highway To Heaven"-ish.

Not saying you couldn't be right, not saying that I could be completely wrong either; just saying I haven't seen the show in a while but I didn't get the same "vibe".

And yeah, I was really worried about Ruffalo, but jumping Jesus* on the moon he was good.

*Why are there so many jumping Jesus references on this board when there is no documentation of Jesus jumping?
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I agree with Luke on Norton. He is very much going through the motions in The Incredible Hulk, and he's a much better actor than that. I'd add him to the list of excellent actors that have been wasted in comic book films.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

dsheinem wrote: I'd add him to the list of excellent actors that have been wasted in comic book films.

Oh Christ, not another list thread. -wink wink-
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

Hulk movie facts

Jennifer Connelly was a great Betty
Liv Tyler was a terrible Betty

Hulk movie actors from best to worse
1. Mark Ruffalo
2. Eric Bana
3. Ed Norton

Hulk(2003) was overlong, and had a lame conclusion. The potential for improvement was there fore a sequel, but we'll never know.

Incredible Hulk (2008) was fairly generic. The first half with Bruce on the run was exciting and fresh. Once they end up in (cliche alert) new york, it falls apart. Mr. Blue was annoying and cartoonish. The final battle was forced.

Avengers. Hulk was fun to watch, but his struggle to control it seems mostly solved, limiting one of the most interesting elements of the character. I'm sure if they did another Hulk movie following this they'd find some way to have him lose control again.

Overall, they haven't nailed it. If they could take the best parts of all of those films, they'd have something worthwhile. As it stands, I think we'll only be seeing Bruce in future avengers films and maybe a cameo or two in some of the other characters' movies.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Jrecee wrote:Hulk movie facts

Jennifer Connelly was a great Betty
Liv Tyler was a terrible Betty

Hulk movie actors from best to worse
1. Mark Ruffalo
2. Eric Bana
3. Ed Norton

Hulk(2003) was overlong, and had a lame conclusion. The potential for improvement was there fore a sequel, but we'll never know.

Incredible Hulk (2008) was fairly generic. The first half with Bruce on the run was exciting and fresh. Once they end up in (cliche alert) new york, it falls apart. Mr. Blue was annoying and cartoonish. The final battle was forced.

Avengers. Hulk was fun to watch, but his struggle to control it seems mostly solved, limiting one of the most interesting elements of the character. I'm sure if they did another Hulk movie following this they'd find some way to have him lose control again.

Overall, they haven't nailed it. If they could take the best parts of all of those films, they'd have something worthwhile. As it stands, I think we'll only be seeing Bruce in future avengers films and maybe a cameo or two in some of the other characters' movies.

Having just returned from seeing The Avengers finally, I completely agree with your entire post.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

New trailer for Skyfall, mmm:
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

Real Steel

Typical Hollywood underdog fluff that the masses consume like locust. But it's still a watchable typical Hollywood fluff. :lol: Annoying kid protagonist as usual, but at least not as much as most of his compatriots in other movies.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Pulsar_t wrote:Image
Real Steel

Typical Hollywood underdog fluff that the masses consume like locust. But it's still a watchable typical Hollywood fluff. :lol: Annoying kid protagonist as usual, but at least not as much as most of his compatriots in other movies.

I'm with you. REAL STEEL is like OVER THE TOP set in the late 90's (although it is set in the future). It's fun.