What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Mendoza
128-bit

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by Mendoza »

The Almighty Thor

Wow that was bad but I laughed my ass off.

Everyone seemed like they were drunk or just out of their head while they were doing it. Richard Greico especially. Id say how the mighty have fallen, but..well...yeah.

I missed the first part of it though, didnt get to see who played odin, though i checked and it was suppsoed to be Kevin Nash. Might have to see if its on netflix instant for that.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I thought it was pure action, haha...

I thought the Captain America guy was pretty good. Never saw the movie though, but I heard good things so I might have to go back and watch it. Thor, I personally can't freaking stand this guy. I don't have a good argument about it either. I just, grew up loving Thor and had this general idea about him... this guy isn't that at all. I thought the movie was awful, but his stuff here was better and Loki was alright. After Iron Man though, yeah Hulk was the next best thing to me though, really liked the actor they got too (I hear he's another big improvement over the past movies?).

Hopefully Whedon directs the sequels. I don't know how much I'll care for the upcoming onslaught of sequels (as much as I love Iron Main / Robert, I didn't care for Iron Man 2), but I'm stoked for more Avengers movies. Always been a big fan of the "team" based superhero stuff, so bring it on.
Rocketman
24-bit

Post by Rocketman »

Watched Iron Sky last Saturday. I had high hopes for this movie and I'm happy to say that I wasn't in the least bit disappointed. :)
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
sabrage
Next-Gen

Post by sabrage »

@Xeogred: He's not talking about the Marvel Thor.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

BoringSupreez wrote:They talked up the Hulk because for the first time, he was in a movie and wasn't lame.

Boo. Ang Lee's Hulk is SOOOOoooo much better than the one with Edward Norton in it. I'g give the 2003 version 3.5/5 stars easily. I'd give the recent one 2/5 stars at best.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

I loved Incredible Hulk :(
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

dsheinem wrote:
BoringSupreez wrote:They talked up the Hulk because for the first time, he was in a movie and wasn't lame.

Boo. Ang Lee's Hulk is SOOOOoooo much better than the one with Edward Norton in it. I'g give the 2003 version 3.5/5 stars easily. I'd give the recent one 2/5 stars at best.

Stop making me agree with you.

A NIGHT AT THE OPERA

For me, a perfect night is watching a Night at the Opera; it doesn't get better than that. Zeppo is absent from the film, but I hardly notice. Eveyone should have a favorite Marx brothers film, and this is mine (Harpo's too).

A perfect blend of wit, story, characters, song, and downright entertaining from start to finish, a Night at the Opera delivers on every level. I'm very comfortable using the Hollywood staple review idiom: "It's a Treasure".
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

I kinda feel like the Norton one gets sorta unfairly swept aside because so many people here love the Ang Lee one. Incredible Hulk was basically a super high-budget episode of the Bill Bixby TV show, and delivered on everything I could've hoped for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS4UKk75iK8
This guy has a pretty good analysis on the movie and compares/contrasts it with the Ang Lee one well I think. Worth a watch (or maybe more of a listen, as it's basically him talking with a slideshow of the movie behind it) if you've got around 20 minutes to spare.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

AppleQueso wrote:I loved Incredible Hulk :(

I liked it, but the casting was awful. Mr. Ed was just Mr. Ed from any Norton movie (well, Fight Club aside) and he was difficult to connect with. Betty felt nothing like Betty, Ross's mustache was sub-par, and Roth shouldn't be allowed in movies anymore.

A solo Hulk movie should always be filled with heart wrenching anguish, as long as the story relies on Bruce not being able to control the Hulk. It would be perfectly fine to go the Joe Fixit route or borrow from Peter David's run on the story, but if the Hulk is uncontrollable, Bruce needs to be tormented as he was in Lee's version.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

I certainly disagree on Norton being hard to connect with, and felt that there was plenty of anguish going on, even if it wasn't quite on the level that the Ang Lee one had going. Again, it's got a lot in common with the Bixby TV series in a lot of ways, and that's one of the big reasons why I like it so much.

Luke wrote:It would be perfectly fine to go the Joe Fixit route or borrow from Peter David's run on the story

I could see this being the direction they'd take in a sequel, if they ever get around to giving us one.

As for the Ang Lee one, it's certainly a far more complex and ambitious movie than the newer one. My problem with it is simply that it's kinda a mess, and just not very enjoyable to me. I want to have fun when I watch a superhero film, and the Ang Lee movie isn't very fun.