What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Funny timing, I'm trying to get a game to work called A Fork in the Tale. A game starring... Rob Schneider.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Recently watched Ginger Snaps for the first time in ages. It's a werewolf film about a pair of teenage girls in small-town Canada, the oldest of which hits puberty just before being attacked by a giant animal. Turns out she's turning into a werewolf and her sister must try to cure her before it's too late.

FYI, the titular Ginger is played by Katharine Isabelle, whose credits include Freddy vs Jason and American Mary, while Ginger's sister Brigitte is played by Emily Perkins, who played the younger Beverley Marsh in the miniseries adaptation of Stephen King's IT and was also in Juno and Insomnia. And their mom was played by Mimi Rogers.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

New write-up of the week before I shift over to the Horror thread:

A Haunting at the Hoyt Library

Yes, I watched another one. And yes, it actually showed some progress and was better than the last one. In this one you can actually see most of what's going on, and someone must have taken all those bombastic sound clips away from Prozak, because blissfully the movie is no longer going "Dom-DOM" every ten seconds. But while my ears are grateful, that still doesn't mean I enjoy watching films like this, and no, it's not just because I'm bitter that there aren't any neat haunted buildings anywhere near me. These types of things just don't do anything for me.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

o.pwuaioc wrote:Finally got around to watching Fantastic Planet (1973). Great film. I would say this is due for a remake since the animation is quite outdated and low budget, but I fear that current trends would butcher it instead of improving it. Worth a watch if you know French or can find a version with subtitles, like this one. I would love some recommendations of similar films, animated or otherwise.

Appreciate the link to the version with English subtitles, o.pwuaioc. I saw the movie years ago at a friend's place and have wanted to rewatch it for a while.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Rewatched Hellraiser recently. Still an excellent film, and definitely represented a tonal shift from the suburban horror of the 80s to the more urbane horror that punctuated the early 90s. Basically being more upper class than the middle class horrors that the likes of Nightmare on Elm Street and Halloween embodied. Instead Hellraiser focused more upon mature themes of sex and fates beyond simply dying.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Free Guy

I actually didn't finish watching this as I just found it kind of boring

I guess movies like this are supposed to appeal to gamers, but it's like they always have this very stereotypical view of games and gamers that they portray. Free Guy only really represents a specific type of gamer...and not the rest of us. The movie even features some "youtube influencers" Twitch personalities, and one esports guy (Ninja) I guess as a way to pander to gamers. Again, as a gamer myself, I barely know or care about any of these people. I actually PLAY games, so I have little time for watching these other people play games

Beyond that, it's got nothing that I really want from a movie. The comedy is not that great, the action is rather meh for a movie based on video games, the characters didn't really resonate with me, there are no emotionally poignant moments, and the plot just lost my interest.

I think I'm also over Ryan Reynolds, he's like, the same guy in all of his movies and I think Deadpool was probably the high point of his career

Why do gaming movies always suck?
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Nobody

I don't know that I've ever seen a movie advertise itself more honestly. See this:

Now see this:

So yeah, if you like John Wick and you like Bob Odenkirk, then you'll likely enjoy this movie as much as I did. Highly recommended.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Watched Hellbound: Hellraiser II, which continues the hellish yet opulent story of Kirsty Cotton, now institutionalized following shortly after the events of the first film, whose mythology is expanded upon in this lurid entry.

Too bad that for this franchise, there's nowhere to go but down from here, steadily at first and then plunging hard and fast.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Wow, almost two weeks and no one's seen anything in that time?

I watched the new Halloween movie last night. On Peacock. Definitely way more intense than the previous one.

Fun fact, my oldest niece saw this in theaters back on Sunday. It was the first horror film she's ever seen, which means she didn't see the '78 Halloween or the 2018 Halloween.. You can tell I didn't take her because I would have started with something more accessible. But it was her mom's brother, one if them I can't remember which one. I think the older of the two.

Also, the twins, who are six, are apparently going to a Slipknot concert.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

We have been watching stuff, it's just in the "Racketboy Month of Horror 12: 80 Weeks Later" thread