What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ack

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by Ack »

Also, I just watched this bad boy:

Deadbeat at Dawn

This nasty little film involves a lot of violence, a lot of drug use, a lot of swearing, and gives us all the finger. And you know what? I freaking loved it. When I think of the power of amateurish trash cinema, Deadbeat at Dawn is what I'm thinking of: crazy, frantic, over the top, balls to the wall. I'd hold it up with other scum classics like Street Trash, and you know I love me some Street Trash.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Yea this film was gritty in the best way possible.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Four days later, and I'm still in awe. Deadbeat is staying with me for a long time.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

I thoroughly enjoyed this silent classic, a comedy about an everyman college freshman's attempt to be the big man on campus.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

I watched Shot Caller last night, was an interesting movie. Wasn't blown away by it, but I definitely love me some crime dramas.

I've also come to terms with the fact that I absolutely love schlockey action movies- Just picked up The Transporter 1-3 on Blu ray and rewatched the first one, and enjoyed myself. Watched King Kong vs Godzilla as well, and I loved turning my brain off and watching giant monsters blow shit up. Noticed that newer Hitman movie is on Hulu; I think Ill watch that next.
The less plot an action movie has, the better- I just want to watch dudes get punched in the face.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

SamuraiMegas wrote:The less plot an action movie has, the better- I just want to watch dudes get punched in the face.

This. 95% of the time action films fail at utilizing drama in an effective way, and it comes across as filler. It's one reason why I love Resident Evil: Retribution. Maybe 2 scenes dedicated to plot? And they are like 3 minutes each.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

PretentiousHipster wrote:
SamuraiMegas wrote:The less plot an action movie has, the better- I just want to watch dudes get punched in the face.

This. 95% of the time action films fail at utilizing drama in an effective way, and it comes across as filler. It's one reason why I love Resident Evil: Retribution. Maybe 2 scenes dedicated to plot? And they are like 3 minutes each.

I've realized it's part of the reason I love old kung fu flicks so much- the plot that is there is absolutely terrible in a hilarious way that makes the entire package better- I get to laugh at the terrible plot AND watch dudes get sliced by a sword and get covered in ketchup blood.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
marurun

Post by marurun »

I actually agree with this about action flicks. If you can't make the plot good and make sense in the context of the action, don't even try. Make the plot as minimal as possible if you aren't going to make it good.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

marurun wrote:I actually agree with this about action flicks. If you can't make the plot good and make sense in the context of the action, don't even try. Make the plot as minimal as possible if you aren't going to make it good.

Agree. Have any of you seen Dredd or The Raid? The plot is, basically, we have to go into a building full of criminals and get someone. That’s all you need!
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Agree. Have any of you seen Dredd or The Raid? The plot is, basically, we have to go into a building full of criminals and get someone. That’s all you need!

The Raid and The Raid 2 are awesome! Had the chance to see both in the theater when originally released.