What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
MrPopo

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by MrPopo »

He had similar criticisms, but it sounds like they bothered you more than they bothered him. I'm guessing that'll be the case for a lot of people; every movie adaptation comes down to how much the pragmatic changes matter to a given person.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

I tried watching Valarian. Have you ever hated the main character within the first 30 seconds of a movie? Well, this movie did. Then there was this whole weird sequence with them in the Futurama internet shopping center complete with blue outline glow. The acting was pretty terrible. The CGI is terrible. The costumes were terrible. The two main MC's have no chemistry and sound bored reading their lines. After an hour I quit watching. Everything was so rushed and made little sense. From the plot to the world building and it opens with NOT Avatar blue skinny aliens. What the fuck is this movie? Well whatever it is, I quit watching.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Oddly, I also watched Valerian tonight (presumably for the same reason of "it became available on Amazon Prime"), and while I did watch all the way through, it was...not good. To me, the bigger missteps seemed to be a cobbled together first half without good narrative structure, and electing to hang the whole thing on leads that don't fit, can't act, and have no chemistry. Better actors could have at least made it a fun movie, even if it wouldn't quite be the Fifth Element spiritual sequel I hoped for. Instead, we get material suitable for a 3DO game based on Jupiter Ascending.

It'd probably make great fodder for Rifftrax though.
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

Really funny, I just cams on to post about Valerian too. Unsurprisingly I also thought it was bad. Visually it had some really cool moments but the dialog was so poorly written. Despite the flaws I actually was still enjoying well enough it due to the visuals, right up into the moment where Rihanna appeared. Her god awful cameo (suddenly it was a Rihanna music video?) pulled me right out of the movie. Her acting was just atrocious and it almost seemed like they let her own dialog it was so self-serving. If not for her the movie might have been a C but after she entered the screen the movie was ruined for me.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Maybe it’s just my Y chromosome talking, but I don’t see how Rihanna’s appearance in anything could make it worse...
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

I had to google who that is. Meh, another hack popstar..meh....
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Segata wrote:I had to google who that is. Meh, another hack popstar..meh....

I mean...she only has the third most chart topping singles of any musician ever...just ahead of Michael Jackson, Madonna, and The Supremes; and just behind Mariah Carey and The Beatles...but, sure, whatever...a hack.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I somehow completely missed Valarian coming out. The trailer doesn't even look remotely familiar to me. Too bad from what I'm seeing from you guys, looked like it had potential.

@ Samson, thanks for the input on new Planet of the Apes.

Well, I had the chance to watch another family movie this weekend with my son. I decided in my "movies watched" tab below to make all the kid/family oriented movies red. If you search the thread for the respective title, you can see my thoughts on it. Hopefully this will help some parents out on this thread when looking for family night movies (what to avoid, etc). Many of ours are off Netflix as well.

Home

Released 2015
IMDB: 6.7/10
Rotten Tomatoes: 48% critics, 64% audience
Available on streaming Netflix

This write up will be short. I did not care for this one. Our last family movie was Epic... literally the movie Epic. It has a great story (based on a book) and is full of fun, well written humor. That is not the case with Home. Most of the laughing moments are essentially fart humor. I will admit I laughed a few times, but it gets old by the end. Another issue I have is the trailer... I'd say the movie's funniest moments were all in the trailer.

My son did enjoy it though. Home was surprisingly popular with kids and apparently this warranted a 40 episode animated (not Dreamworks "CGI") Netflix series as well. Feel free to turn this one on for your kid's while as a parent you're doing other things, but I don't recommend it for a family movie night. You'll just be wishing you were watching a Pixar film.

2018 Watched
Count: 15 Movies
- January -
1. Hitman: Agent 47
2. Riddick *
3. Real Steel
4. Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol
5. The Place Beyond the Pines
6. Spectral

- February -
7. Bright
8. 47 Meters Down
9. The Book of Eli
10. Project Almanac
11. Chicken Run
12. Emoji Movie

- March -
13. Zombeavers
14. Epic
15. Home

TV Series also Watched
S1 - The Oath
S1 - Stranger Things
S2 - Stranger Things
S4 - iZombie (in process)

We typically discuss TV shows here.

* Indicates a re-watch
Red Indicates a kiddo movie watched with family & reviewed as a parent.
Last edited by Jagosaurus on Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Segata wrote:I had to google who that is. Meh, another hack popstar..meh....

I mean...she only has the third most chart topping singles of any musician ever...just ahead of Michael Jackson, Madonna, and The Supremes; and just behind Mariah Carey and The Beatles...but, sure, whatever...a hack.

So? Everyone else you listed actually made good music..well except MC in the past 20 years. Modern pop music is the most manufactured shit there is and has been since it created Spears. Pop is to music what reality shows are to TV. Transformers movies make a shit ton of money. Doesn't make them good. Just proves people have shit taste.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

taste is subjective. i usually have no interest in 75% of the things people watch, play or listen to on the board. i wouldn't call their taste shit though. how has someone not heard of Rihanna? like her or not, you must live in a cave because she's everywhere.