What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Michi
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by Michi »

noiseredux wrote:
Michi wrote:They did show up earlier than that,

oh, did they? I'm pretty sure I had done as you suggested and gotten pretty drunk by then!

:lol:

Yeah, they were the ones that scurried Walken off during the second abduction and he shot at one the thought (?) was in the cabin. They may have shown up in the first abduction too, but that scene was so trippy and strobe-lighty that I don't remember :lol:
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Are you guys trying to claim that a dancing Walken is bad?
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

MrPopo wrote:Are you guys trying to claim that a dancing Walken is bad?

no, the dancing Ewok things are bad. Fatboy Slim proved that a dancing Walken is great YEARS ago.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Well my "movie" watching has slowed this week because we've been addicted to Stranger Things. Wow. Should finish up season 2 tomorrow. With all the supernatural, horror, and 80s fans on this thread... highly recommend. Will take my thoughts to the "what are you watching" thread after.

Speaking of, I tried to catch The Island this week but it's not streaming anywhere and I hate spending $4 on a movie when I'm already paying a monthly fee for Netflix, Hulu, and our Amazon Prime subscription. So again, I'll check the library for The Island this week.

@Noise, when I worked at the library in undergrad, you could fill out a form for them to purchase books, current periodicals, & movies. You were then the first person to get the item. I basically used it as a movie pre-order system :lol:. My Blockbuster usage really went down (aging myself there). So even if the library doesn't have a movie, you may be able to request it for purchase.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Oddly enough they have it but it was checked out today. I reserved it when it gets back.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

noiseredux wrote:Oddly enough they have it but it was checked out today. I reserved it when it gets back.

Talking about The Island still, correct?

While we're discussing sci fi "to watch" list... I haven't seen the new Planet of the Apes trilogy. Legit as it looks?

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I just took my children to A Wrinkle in Time. It was not very good, and I will appreciate some of the things it did with the story and characters, I do not recommend it.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Jagosaurus wrote:
noiseredux wrote:Oddly enough they have it but it was checked out today. I reserved it when it gets back.

Talking about The Island still, correct?

While we're discussing sci fi "to watch" list... I haven't seen the new Planet of the Apes trilogy. Legit as it looks?

I’m a big fan of the Apes Franchise. The new Planet of the Apes Trilogy is most certainly legit. Great stories, great acting, great motion capture, great sound design and great set design abound in all three movies. Plus the series is littered with references to the original 1960s / 1970s Apes movies.

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I just took my children to A Wrinkle in Time. It was not very good, and I will appreciate some of the things it did with the story and characters, I do not recommend it.

Darn. I really loved that book when I was a kid. Too bad. Something in my gut was telling me that this was going to fail, but I was hoping my gut was wrong.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

As a counterpoint, I read a review by John Scalzi who loved every minute of it (with the original novel being much beloved by him).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

MrPopo wrote:As a counterpoint, I read a review by John Scalzi who loved every minute of it (with the original novel being much beloved by him).

It really needs another hour to develop the characters sufficiently. (The emotional stakes at the film’s climax lack heft.) Then, however, it would be way too long for a children’s movie, and it is definitely a children’s movie. (It reminded me of Labyrinth, but with fewer muppets and a less compelling villain.)

Also, the movie should have adhered a little more closely to the book’s depiction of Camazotz and The It. (That sequence starts out pretty great, but it end up fizzling.)

My children aren’t exactly the harshest critics - and my daughter, like me, loves the book - and even they were underwhelmed. I really wanted to like it, and I think it took some good liberties with the source material. Ultimately, however, it just end up being a middling adaptation. (That said, it is frequently a visually stunning film, and I am certain many of its images will stick with me.)