What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by Jagosaurus »

Epic

Released 2013
IMDB: 6.7/10
Rotten Tomatoes: 65% critics, 65% audience

This film was surprisingly well done. As we recently covered, as a parent you get roped into watching a lot of sub-par kid’s movies and shows. It is nice to enjoy a children’s movie versus just the time with kiddos. I thought this story was fairly original. Turns out it is loosely based on William Joyce's children's book The Leaf Men and the Brave Good Bugs. This was made by Blue Sky which is the Fox owned studio that also made the Ice Age and Rio movies. There are some big name actors voicing here that do a solid job, including; Amanda Seyfried, Colin Farrell, Josh Hutcherson, Aziz Ansari, and Steven Tyler.

As a high-level plot summary: The main character moves in with her dad. He is a scientist who is obsessed with a theory that there is a race of tiny, advanced people living in the forest. He has lost his career and family over this conspiracy theory. Well, turns out he is right! His daughter, MK, gets sucked into this miniature forest world and the fun begins, complete with air battles on the back of humming birds, crows, and bats. The visuals in this one are beautiful.

A look at the Leaf Men Soldiers.

Here is a visual of the Boggans, which are the baddies.

Outside of the Pixar movies, I believe this was my favorite recent CGI movie. Knowing it was based on a novel makes sense with the originality. I can recommend this to anyone with kiddos. My soon to be 3 year old was very into it. It was airing on FX where I recorded it. Do an upcoming search and DVR it!

2018 Movies Watched
Count: 14
- January -
1. Hitman: Agent 47
2. Riddick *
3. Real Steel
4. Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol
5. The Place Beyond the Pines
6. Spectral

- February -
7. Bright
8. 47 Meters Down
9. The Book of Eli
10. Project Almanac
11. Chicken Run
12. Emoji Movie

- March -
13. Zombeavers
14. Epic

* Indicates a re-watch
Red Indicates a kiddo movie watched with family & reviewed as a parent.
Last edited by Jagosaurus on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
NotLuke
24-bit

Post by NotLuke »

Here's a group of movies if'n you'd like to rank 'em.

The Avengers
Captain America: Civil War
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Iron Man
Thor: Ragnarok
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Iron Man 3
Black Panther
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Guardians of the Galaxy
Thor
Doctor Strange
Ant-Man
Iron Man 2
Captain America: The First Avenger
The Incredible Hulk
Thor: The Dark World
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

NotLuke wrote:Here's a group of movies if'n you'd like to rank 'em.

The Avengers
Iron Man
Iron Man 3
Black Panther
Guardians of the Galaxy
Thor
Doctor Strange
Ant-Man
Iron Man 2
The Incredible Hulk

Oh, good one!
This is totally subjective, but what the hell, I will give it a shot.

Guardians of the Galaxy - Perfect amount of fun and humor. Every beat is timed perfectly. Great cast. Fan-freaking-tastic script. Oh, and lest I forget, the best soundtrack of any Movie on this list. Every character is perfectly flawed.

Spider-Man: Homecoming - Sony / Marvel finally gets Spidey right. Peter Parker is played to a T. The scriptwriters were unafraid to veer from the source material, but they kept the heart. You can tell the writers really “get” Spider-man as a character. Plus Micheal Keaton plays the best villain in any Marvel movie. They actually made the Vulture a great villain; who would’ve thunk it?

The Avengers - For better or worse, this is the movie that set the mold. This is the point from which all successive superhero movies are judged. This is the big Superhero team up flick that Kevin Feige had been masterminding for years. The audience already saw each character’s secret origin. Without being bogged down by cumbersome origin stories, the script is paced perfectly. The dialogue is delightfully Whedonesque. “Until such a time as the world ends, we will act as though it intends to spin on” and “There’s only one god ma’am... and I’m pretty sure he doesn’t dress like that” remain some of the best lines in any superhero film.

Black Panther - given that this one is so recent in my mind, it’s hard to objectively compare against the other Marvel flicks. Black Panther exhibits perhaps the best visuals of any Marvel film. The fight scenes are fantastically choreographed. The color palette is so much more vivid than most superhero movies. The story really resonates with the crowd. I went on opening night, and I can say that the black community really loves this one, and I say more power to ‘em. This is one cool movie!

Thor Ragnorok - A buddy flick with superheroes! The very notion of Hulk and Thor in a buddy movie in space is so far-fetched that I still have a hard time believing that it works so well. I like that every single character in this movie is simultaneously a loveable friend and also a total flipping jerk! The humor gets a little blue sometimes, but mostly it’s just unexpected. Thor Ragnorok is one of those movies that’s kinda stupid, yet somehow really clever. The best thing I can say is that this movie makes me smile from beginning to end.

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume Two - This film gives a redemption arc to two of the villains from the first movie. Volume Two sacrifices a bit of humor in order to touch on themes of abusive family and forgiveness. Volume Two also has a rocking soundtrack - almost as good as the first.

Captain America the First Avenger - This is the perfectly executed story of Steve Rogers’ secret origin. It’s a great period piece. There are a couple places in the script where the writers chose a “feel good” version of history rather than anything close to real WWII battle stories, but I’m not really complaining; that was the right decision to make for this script. Hugo Weaving is the understated overacter, but Tommy Lee Jones is the one who steals the screen every time he’s on screen.

Ant-Man - Paul Rudd plays a loveable loser to a T, but Micheal Douglas steals the screen as Hank Pym. The cast of this movie displays better acting chops than most movies on this list. It’s a fun popcorn flick, but perhaps not Marvel’s greatest masterpiece.

Thor - Despite the title, this movie is actually the story of Jesus. The long-haired son of god comes down to earth in human form. He ticks off the local authorities. He sacrifices himself to save the world, then comes back from the dead to overcome evil. Then he returns to the heavens after giving vague nonspecific promises of when he might return. Thor is a pretty decent movie overall. I’d still call it a grade A movie, but it’s not as good as some of the Marvel movies which followed.

Incredible Hulk - The movie that’s kinda sorta mostly in the MCU. Ed Norton plays Bruce Banner perfectly. William Hurt looks like he was born just to play Thunderbolt Ross. Liv Tyler looks absolutely flawless as Betty Ross.

Captain America Civil War - A few memorable scenes punctuate an otherwise uneventful movie. When CA Civil War is good, it’s REALLY good. The rest of the time it’s a melancholy reflection on the failure of heroes. Nothing is resolved at the end of this movie. Still worth seeing for the airport fight scene.

Dr. Strange - This movie is an absolute flipping acid trip on screen. I can’t help but wonder if the whole thing is a pretense just to appeal to people who like to do recreational drugs. Either way, Benedict Cumbebatch is perfectly cast as Dr. Strange.

Captain America Winter Soldier - This film leans toward traditional spy thriller action flick in the vein of James Bond. Scarlet Johannson gets ample screen time in this one. Good action scenes that feel a little closer to life than most Superhero flicks on this list. Winter Soldier is the movie that stays a little more grounded. No Aliens, Gods, or Giants in Winter Soldier, but there’s plenty of espionage action.

Iron Man - This movie does a good job updating Tony Stark’s origin story to a modern post-September-11th world. Robert Downy Junior acts like... well, he acts like Robert Downy Junior. I give it credit for starting the franchise, but it isn’t the best Marvel has to offer.

Avengers Age of Ultron - Too many characters each of whom receive not enough screen time. This is what Superhero film ennui feels like. James Spader as Ultron is the saving grace here.

Iron Man 3 - I’m givin this one credit for displaying a realistic portrayal of post-traumatic stress disorder and axiety disorder. Aside from that it’s a pretty stupid movie. The big climax is watching thirty different Iron Man suits Kamikaze themselves right into fire monster people. Yes, really.

Iron Man 2 - This movie gave us Scarlet Johannson as the Black Widow. Robert Downy Junior drinks alcohol and blows up bad guys. Not much else important happens here. Kinda forgettable.

Thor the Dark World - I have watched this movie three times, and I still can’t tell you what happened. Every scene is utterly forgettable. Anthony Hopkins looks bored, like he’s wondering why he’s bothered to show up on set today. Even Natalie Potman and Kat Dennings combined cannot save this movie.
marurun

Post by marurun »

NotLuke wrote:Here's a group of movies if'n you'd like to rank 'em.

The Avengers
Iron Man
Iron Man 3
Black Panther
Guardians of the Galaxy
Thor
Doctor Strange
Ant-Man
Iron Man 2
The Incredible Hulk

Let's see how Samson's takes line up with mine. I haven't seen Ragnarok, Black Panther, Spider-Man, or Hulk, so we'll leave those off for now. I'll cover them in the order I enjoyed them.

Guardians of the Galaxy - OK, so Ronan the Accuser kind of sucks as a villain, but everything else in this movie rocks. The characters are all interesting, the soundtrack is great, and the pacing of scenes and character moments is fantastic. This is what happens when you stop trying to make superheroes serious and start trying to make them fun again. Oddly enough, this is some of the most interesting space opera since Star Wars.

Captain America: Civil War - I loved how slick this film was. The chase scene early in the film was gorgeous and fantastic. Yeah, the villain is kind of a putz and the plot doesn't actually make the greatest sense, but the character moments and action scenes were the real scene-stealers, here. I also rather like the down note with the characters not really seeing resolution. They were all emotionally manipulated and they know it, and they almost destroyed each other over it. And they have to find a way to come to terms with it. Very important film for what it does for the franchise.

Captain America: Winter Soldier - I'm not sure how much I buy Bucky as a brainwashed supervillain, but the movie still moves at a decent clip. It really did feel like Marvel's James Bond, only with more protagonists. Typical good character dialogue. I won't remember a lot of the details super well, but I do remember that I thought pretty highly of the film.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - I enjoyed this film a lot. It was a fun ride with a great soundtrack and the same sense of style as the first, but I had a lot more complaints about it that I did the first film. On the one hand, I love the Sovereigns. On the other hand, and I can't believe I'm saying this, I thought Kurt Russell's acting was kinda off-kilter and a bit meh. In fact, the whole setup with Ego was weird. And Karen Gillan's Andromeda also feels a little too shrill this time around. The emotional moments aren't as satisfying this trip and they feel more swingy and less well telegraphed. Except for Drax and Mantis. Love those two. So despite the fact that the villain should be much better and gets much more screen time, the end result is that I didn't feel like the resolution of the central plot was at all as satisfying as the first film. I know that's a lot of complaining, but I did still love the film. But it did feel a little long in the theater and there were too many moments that pulled me out of my suspension of disbelief. I think it was trying too hard to do too many things. And yet, it's still 4th on my list, so there is that. Also...
Starlord is half Celestial, and despite that doesn't really seem to get anything from it. And WHY ON EARTH is Ego's core a giant glowing brain? WTF? Just... too dumb.

Avengers - So, let me lead by saying there's a lot about this movie I don't like. Loki is used poorly in many ways, the "death" of a "major" character felt clichéd, and some of the filming was just dumb. Really? Head on view of characters on floating scooter platforms, looking over their shoulders at a green screen backdrop? *facepalm* And yet, the flow of the movie is good, there are some good character moments, and the dialogue is just so snappy. It's hard not to like the film despite the many and varied flaws. Turns out Avengers is a VERY gestalt film.

Iron Man 2 - A lot of folks don't think very highly of this film, but I think it's an important hallmark in the MCU. For one, it really ups the ante on dialogue. The first Iron Man had good dialogue, but this film is so much snappier in that regard. I understand Whedon touched up the screenplay a little, which would explain a lot of that. Whedon's actually not that great with plotting but character dialogue is something he excels at. I love the actor playing Justin Hammer, there are some really cool special effects, and Robert Downey Jr. really seems to truly come into the character in this film, so even if the general plot is a dud, the film remains something of an important milestone to the MCU.

Ant-Man - I enjoyed the film, but it's hard to evaluate and rank. In a lot of ways it feels like a retread of Iron Man, but Paul Rudd's Scott Lang is such a different character that in some ways it does feel quite fresh. Some of the CG is a bit weak in places, which is too bad, and the villain is just another corporate baddie, just like Obadiah Stain in Iron Man. Ho hum. But Rudd and Douglas do well together on-screen and that really makes the film worthwhile.

Doctor Strange - A perfectly competent film with some interesting side characters. Beneficent Cucumberbottoms is a great Stephen Strange, but the villains are, again, a recurring weakness of the MCU. A little too much Inception in the special effects. FX would have been pretty original if they weren't so much a knock off of something so recent. Not a particularly gestalt film. It very much the sum of its parts, which ultimately isn't a bad thing, really.

Iron Man - I think this was a solid film that did a good job introducing Tony Stark and the modern MCU. Pretty good CG for the time. Not as overused as in more recent MCU titles. Weak villain played by an actor gnawing on the scenery with overwrought gusto set the standard (sadly) for future villains.

Avengers: Age of Ultron - Less than the sum of the parts. Too many characters with not enough screen time to really focus on them all. Ultron should have been a fantastic villain, but instead was simply present. At least he wasn't a mess like so many of the other MCU villains. Action sequences did not feel particularly strong. CG was over-used. Too many new characters introduced. Coming after the original Avengers and the strong wave of character films in between, this movie was just weak-sauce.

Thor: The Dark World - An action movie that didn't suck. Meh. At least Loki was super-interesting in it. The villain was not. Most of the action wasn't either, though they did slip some humorous bits into the action, thankfully. Otherwise the film would have been a bit of a drag.

Captain America: The First Avenger - There are some good moments in this film, but I just didn't find it compelling at all. The weird placement of Chris Evans's head on a scrawny body was uncanny valley creepy, half the actors felt like the were acting in a different movie, Cap was personality-free, the villain... do I need to address the villain? I'm a broken record at this point. It's weird, because I love the Peggy Carter character, and her TV stuff later was fun and interesting, but this movie totally fell flat for me. I just didn't get into it at all.

Thor - Ugh. This movie pisses me off. Branagh is a good director (normally)! Loki is a great villain with loads of personality! So why does this movie feel like a waste of time (except for the scene where Thor gets run over... again)? Helmsworth has no personality as Thor in this film. In fact, none of the characters except Loki have any personality in this film. The plot is pointless, character development happens at the whim of the screenwriter and doesn't feel natural at all, dialogue is weak, special effects are weak...

Iron Man 3 - This film has some really good dialogue. In some scenes. It's not consistent, really. That's pretty much the only good thing I have to say about Iron Man 3.

For me there's this invisible line between Iron Man and Age of Ultron where MCU films transition in quality from being enjoyable and worth seeing to being a chore and not worth the time spent with your butt in a seat. Fortunately, despite the recurring and constant issues producing villains worth their weight in peanuts, the MCU has generally improved over time, with films like Dr. Strange and Ant-man at least being entertaining filler to hold the gaps until the next massive hit swings through. Here's hoping that pace continues, though in truth, I would like to see them back off on the CG a little. Getting a little tired of these rubbery superhero models bouncing around with a drunk camera flying all over the place.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I need to rewatch the first Captain America. I did not like it at all on my first and only viewing. I see it fairly often listed as a favorite. It was extremely hokey to me. Reminded me of an early 2000s movie. Maybe that was the tone they were going for? On the otherhand, I really enjoyed Winter Soldier. Might be my favorite in the Marvel Universe.

I'm 8 super hero movies behind now! I had that list down to 3 not too long ago!

To watch:
Amazing Spiderman
Amazing Spiderman 2
X Men Apocalypse
Logan
Thor Ragnarok
Wonder Woman
Justice Leaugue
Black Panther

Upcoming in 2018:
Ant Man 2
Deadpool 2
Avengers Infinity War
Aquaman
X Men Dark Phoenix

Did I miss any 2018 upcoming? Well... besides The Incredibles 2!

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

isn't the New Mutants movie coming out this year, too?
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

marurun wrote:Let's see how Samson's takes line up with mine. I haven't seen Ragnarok, Black Panther, Spider-Man, or Hulk, so we'll leave those off for now. I'll cover them in the order I enjoyed them.

Good Read, Maru. Looks like we rank the MCU films similarly.

marurun wrote:Turns out Avengers is a VERY gestalt film.

Your criticism of Avengers is all valid. I can't refute any of those points; it's just such a strong film that it overcomes all its weaknesses. Also, you made me look up the word "Gestalt". Thanks for teaching me a new word!

marurun wrote:Guardians of the Galaxy 2 -
Starlord is half Celestial, and despite that doesn't really seem to get anything from it. And WHY ON EARTH is Ego's core a giant glowing brain? WTF? Just... too dumb.

Good questions! I've thought about that for a while. Here's what I came up with:
The enemy in this film is "ego" both literally and metaphorically. That's why his core is a brain. The enemy is in your brain, you dig?

wiki wrote:Ego may refer to several related concepts:
-Ego (Freudian), one of the three constructs in Sigmund Freud's structural model of the psyche
-Self-concept, a collection of beliefs about oneself that embodies the answer to "Who am I?"
-Egoism, an ethical theory that treats self-interest as the foundation of morality
-Egotism, the drive to maintain and enhance favorable views of oneself

Remember the first act. Ayesha and The Sovereign are egotistical and easily offended. The Sovereign inadvertently offend Rocket's ego, so he offends them back.

During the chase scene, Rocket and Quill get into an egotistical pissing contest over who should pilot the ship. Their ego lands everyone in danger.

Why does Yondu demand an audience with Sylvester Stallone? In attempt to enhance a favorable view of himself = egotism

What's Kurt Russel's motivation? To propagate HIMSELF = egoism

Why can't Quill hook up with Gamora? Because his ego gets in the way (among other reasons).

Why does Yondu lose control of his crew? Because he cannot reconcile his actions with his view of himself = ego

These are only a few examples that I have noticed. There are probably more that I overlooked. Next time you watch Gardians of the Galaxy Volume Two, keep an eye open for all the times these characters are defeated by their own ego.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I'm avoiding the above MCU talk by the way because there's some talk of Ragnarok and Black Panther, which I haven't seen yet. I'm hoping to see Ragnarok this weekend - fingers crossed my library gets it in this week.

Speaking of, I tried to catch The Island this week but it's not streaming anywhere and I hate spending $4 on a movie when I'm already paying a monthly fee for Netflix, Hulu, and our Amazon Prime subscription. So again, I'll check the library for The Island this week.

Anyway, I've been suffering through a terrible cold which means I've watched more movies than usual lately.

Adaptation was my wife's choice, and we've seen it numerous times but it'd been a few years. Still brilliant. Easily the best movie about trying to write a movie about a book with your made up brother that eventually turns into the movie that we're watching. Wait. Yeah.

Ex Machina was quite good. I mean it was kind of what I expected it to be. But also had good twists that I didn't see coming. Poe Dameron was pretty excellent in this, and actually pretty creepy. Alicia Vikander was also great. Actually, I mean this was a movie that had like three speaking roles in the whole thing - which is impressive. I liked it a lot.

Leap Year I watched... because well, I've been sick and just needed something mindless to watch and possibly fall asleep to. So I just asked Alexa to play something that had Amy Adams in it that I hadn't seen yet. This is a very by-the-books cliche romcom in the mold of like Romancing The Stone or something like that. Rich girl in superficial relationship travels from big city Boston to small village Ireland to get engaged to her rich superficial boyfriend; along the way meets poor badass with heart of gold. They travel across Ireland together trying to get from point A to point B. Mishaps occur. She falls in some mud. They fall in love. You see it all coming. But totally mindless, no biggie if I doze off, and Amy Adams is always adorbs.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

My wife was just telling me we needed to watch Ex Machina. I hadn't even heard of it! Looks like something up my alley though, so I'll have to check it out.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

dunpeal2064 wrote:My wife was just telling me we needed to watch Ex Machina. I hadn't even heard of it! Looks like something up my alley though, so I'll have to check it out.

First movie directed by Alex Garland, writer of Sunshine and 28 Days Later. He really nails this unsettling vibe that permeates the entire movie, it's really well done. He has another movie out right now in theaters called Annihilation, which I watched last week and it is excellent and also has that same unsettling vibe throughout. If you like thought-provoking sci-fi, check it out!
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.