What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by REPO Man »

Hair. It was pretty good.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

West Side Story was on Netflix last I knew, if you're on a musical kick.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Last Night I watched The Scythian.

The Scythian (a.k.a. The Last Warrior) is a foreign high fantasy film that takes a lot of cues from Last of the Mohicans and Conan the Barbarian. The Scythian tells the story of the end of one nation of people in the Eurasian Steppe and the beginning of another.

The film blends real archeological fact with a big dose of fantasy. Russian Director Rustam Mosafir filmed The Scythian on location in Crimea to show the real Eurasian wilderness. The elaborate costume design stands out. Detailed costumes are used to differentiate tribes of people from ancient Eurasia. Early in the film we see Other nomadic tribes that the Scythians really interacted with such as Slavs and Mongols. As the film progresses we see more fantastic people like the blind temple guardian who can speak to the old gods and the tribe of cannibals ruled by a dwarf.

The script makes heavy use of character archetypes. The audience meets a wise old king, a newborn child, and a damsel in distress in the first act. The titular Scythian is a wild killer who is compared to a wolf numerous times. He is the figurative "Wolf of the Steppe" mentioned by Germanic tribes. He is also the foil to our protagonist, Lutobor. Unlike the wild Scythian, Lutobor is a principled warrior who believes in this newfangled religion called Christianity. Just in case the audience can't figure out what nation Lutobor represents, Lutobor's spirit transforms into a giant red bear in the third act. Very subtle. :wink:

The Scythian is one of the most violent films I have seen in a long time. I would compare the violence to Conan the Barbarian or maybe Pathfinder. I lost track of the body count before the second act began. The blood and bone on display in this film fully embraces over-the-top, borderline-impossible violence. Think of Spartacus Blood & Sand. The Scythian is more violent than most Quentin Tarantino flicks.

My Verdict: Overall, I recommend The Scythian... after the kids go to sleep. 8)
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

Where did you watch that, Samson?

Because you compared it to Conan, so I'm in 100%. Any fantasy that doesn't come from the Tolkien bloodline is up my alley.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Ack

Post by Ack »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:Where did you watch that, Samson?

Because you compared it to Conan, so I'm in 100%. Any fantasy that doesn't come from the Tolkien bloodline is up my alley.

It appears to be streaming on Amazon for free if you have Prime.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Ack wrote:
Forlorn Drifter wrote:Where did you watch that, Samson?

It appears to be streaming on Amazon for free if you have Prime.

Ack beat me to it. You should both check it out. Good flick.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Oh yeah, got added to my watchlist as soon as I read your thoughts.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

On the subject of movies, have any of you read Akira Kurosawa's "Something Like An Autobiography"? A coworker lent it to me and I just finished it. It ends with his work on Rashamon, and it's a really interesting look into what shaped the man (as well as some interesting insights into someone who lived in Japan during the war).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Guys, guys, guys, guys, guys.

Deleted footage of the SMB Movie has been found. And a fan group is restoring it for a Blu Ray release.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

MrPopo wrote:Guys, guys, guys, guys, guys.

Deleted footage of the SMB Movie has been found. And a fan group is restoring it for a Blu Ray release.

!