What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Golgo 14
128-bit

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by Golgo 14 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Interestingly, The Hitch Hiker is considered the first film noir directed by a woman (Ida Lupino); so, if, like me, you’re interested in exploring more films created by women, thus is a great choice. (The Bigamist, considered Ida Lupino’s best film, is also available on Prime Video, and I’m planning on watching that soon.)

Ida Lupino is the answer to the trivia question, who is the only person to both star in and direct an episode of The Twilight Zone. She starred in the Sunset Blvd. inspired "The Sixteen-Millimeter Shrine", and directed the all-timer "The Masks."
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Golgo 14 wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:Interestingly, The Hitch Hiker is considered the first film noir directed by a woman (Ida Lupino); so, if, like me, you’re interested in exploring more films created by women, thus is a great choice. (The Bigamist, considered Ida Lupino’s best film, is also available on Prime Video, and I’m planning on watching that soon.)

Ida Lupino is the answer to the trivia question, who is the only person to both star in and direct an episode of The Twilight Zone. She starred in the Sunset Blvd. inspired "The Sixteen-Millimeter Shrine", and directed the all-timer "The Masks."

Very cool! That’s a great episode.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Ack wrote:Yeah, if you want feature length, there's a Swedish horror film from 2018 called Draug that might also appeal.

Sweet. I'll add it to my Watchlist.

Thanks, Ack!
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

We're getting towards the end of Shorts Month:

Harbinger

A man suffering from strange dreams, follows the clues seen in said dreams to a remote cottage in the middle of the woods. There he finds the answer to his questions, but now that he has the answer, he undoubtedly wishes he had stayed home.

This is probably the most non-gaming, gaming related thing I've seen. I kid thee not, seeing it feels like you're watching a trailer or a demo to a first person survival horror game. The colors, the lighting, even the sound effects, all of them were so similar to those types of horror games that for a little while I thought I might actually be watching a very impressively rendered CGI short. But it's not. It actors on actual sets, with only a little bit of CGI at the end. It's pretty cool and very well done, and if you like those kinds of games I suggest you give it a watch. It's only 8 minutes and free on Youtube, and I don't think you'll be disappointed.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Finally saw "Frozen". I definitely enjoyed it.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Rewatched Kinky Boots: The Musical today. Like the film it's based on, this musical tells the story of a man named Charlie Price (played in this production by Killian Donnelly) who meets a drag queen named Lola (played here by Matt Henry) and is inspired to save his family's shoe factory by manufacturing high-heel boots designed for drag queens. Written by Harvey Fierstein, directed by Jerry Mitchell and with music by Cyndi Lauper, Kinky Boots is easily a great musical. It's on the streaming service BroadwayHD, itself also available as a Prime Video Channel, and is available for rent and purchase digitally on select platforms. I bought it from Prime Video.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Last write-up of Shorts Month:

The Tent

Heather decides to go for a nice, scenic jog. But little does she know that she is being pursued by...The Tent.

A little throwback short with lots of nods to 80s horror films, most notably Creepshow and Halloween. It's got a really dumb premise, but it's quick and it's fun and it looks and sounds great. If you like 80s horror, it's not a bad way to spend 15-minutes.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

First Wives Club

Those 80s&90s comedies really had a good vibe to them. The modern ones are too commercial and trying to appeal hard for the current popular social and political views.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

But aren't these 80s and 90s comedies just as commercial, and are appealing to trends at that time? Just that everyone forgot about them since they weren't all that memorable.
pilgrimteeth
8-bit

Post by pilgrimteeth »

My Wife and I watched The Science of Sleep, one of my favorite movies. I hadn't seen it in years and it was interesting how the few years changed my perspective on the actions of the main character.