What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by isiolia »

samsonlonghair wrote:On a personal note, I feel lucky to live in a place where I can see classic anime films in the theater on a weekday. :D

I think this is something afforded to a lot of folks this summer (well, year) if they have a theater showing Fathom Events stuff (Regal does in my town) https://www.fathomevents.com/series/studio-ghibli-fest
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

isiolia wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:On a personal note, I feel lucky to live in a place where I can see classic anime films in the theater on a weekday. :D

I think this is something afforded to a lot of folks this summer (well, year) if they have a theater showing Fathom Events stuff (Regal does in my town) https://www.fathomevents.com/series/studio-ghibli-fest

Yeah, fathom events are nice. That's how I get to see this kind of stuff.

Back when I lived in West-by-god-Virginia I never got the opportunity to see anything special in movie theaters. The ONE local theater only showed wide-release movies. The movie theater was stationed behind a decrepit mall. The seats were half broken, fixed with duct tape and WD-40. The speakers hadn't been upgraded since the 1990s. The mall groundskeepers used to pile up mulch or rock salt in the parking lot of that movie theater because it never filled up. Grass grew through the cracks in the asphalt. I had to drive forty-five minutes just to go a movie theater in another city if I wanted to sit in a nice theater. It was rough.

Now that I'm out of there, I appreciate getting these kind of opportunities. I'm resisting the urge to fly off on a tangent about how different things are. Since we are in the movie thread, I'm just talking about movies.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

That's relatively similar to how things were around here when I was in school. Maybe not quite that bad, but same end result - not uncommon for folks to drive to Roanoke to see bigger releases, if they had the time. Now, however, that old theater in the mall is community college lecture space, and we've got modern theaters to choose from. All reserved seating, with those massive power recliners in all of 'em, etc (does make 'em pricey). Though, we do have the historic single screen downtown theater that has done limited release stuff since ever too, and it's pretty cheap.

At the time, I found just having a multiplex nice. I'd only moved back to the US about a year prior, and on Yokota we had an aged single screen theater that was usually only running on the weekend. Prints would usually circulate to other bases, so you'd often only have something show a few times before moving on, and if it was popular...you were gonna get there pretty early to stand in line before the ticket window opened. So, it's always relative. :lol:
Ack

Post by Ack »

Ok, I should actually link more of my reviews.

What have I been watching lately? Well, here's a quick list:

Grotesque (1988)
Bone Tomahawk (2015)
Nightstick (1987)
Born American (1986)
Trench 11 (2017)
Saturn 3 (1980)
Messiah of Evil (1973)
Curse of the Faceless Man (1958)
Gunan, King of the Barbarians (1982)
The Last Horror Film (1982)

That's right, a mixed bag collection of science fiction, horror, sword and sorcery, action, war, western, and prison films, sometimes with more than one of these descriptors attached.

I tell you guys, watching and writing about movies on a daily basis really makes you look at them...and then realize that you have terrible freaking taste.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

It’s about time you watched Messiah of Evil! I told you about it more than two years ago!

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=50720&p=1065814&hilit

Glad to see I was right. :lol:
Ack

Post by Ack »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:It’s about time you watched Messiah of Evil! I told you about it more than two years ago!

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=50720&p=1065814&hilit=“Messiah+of+evil”#p1065814

Glad to see I was right. :lol:

Ha! It only took me...two and a half years! But yeah, I freaking loved it. Now I want to spread it to more folks, like a disease.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Ack wrote:Ha, I should post mine yet. I really need to stop forgetting. That said, you're killing it, Michi. Nice work, as always.

Aw, thanks :oops:

I really need to go through and read more of yours. You just post them faster than I do :lol:
Ack

Post by Ack »

Hell, I gotta figure out an indexing system. I posted twice a day for three months and then once a day since then, so the amount of content I have is larger than I was expecting. I'm at 280+ reviews, with another week and a half's worth scheduled at any given time.

Don't do what I do, Michi. Save yourself
Ack

Post by Ack »

Speaking of which...

Seven Deaths in the Cat's Eye (1973)

Yeah, I watched and reviewed a giallo with an animal title. At least that animal is actually in this movie.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I love a good trainwreck. So of course I watched this movie:

The Snowman (2017)

If you like crap, it's gonna be right up your alley.