What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by noiseredux »

You guys are lucky.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

noiseredux wrote:You guys are lucky.

This is the price you pay for supporting the Pats.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

The local historic (opened in 1930)/art house type theater near me is currently playing the Shape of Water, so maybe I should try to go see it there.
They won't be showing I, Tonya until later in February.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

isiolia wrote:The local historic (opened in 1930)/art house type theater near me is currently playing the Shape of Water, so maybe I should try to go see it there.
They won't be showing I, Tonya until later in February.

Shape of Water is one Absolutely flipping beautiful movie! The best new film I've seen in a long time. I went back again to see it twice.

Ack wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:
noiseredux wrote:I'm very interested in I, Tonya. How did you watch it? Where is it available, or is it still in theaters?

I, Tonya is currently playing in theatres. I'm lucky to have artsy-fartsy theatres here in Richmond where I can watch stuff like I, Tonya or Shape of Water on the big screen.

Yeah, there is an art house theater near me called the Tara that is currently playing it, Lady Bird, and Three Billboards. It's one of several theaters like that in Atlanta, though it tends to show more "artistic" works. You gotta hit up some of the others for Yakuza films and the like.

I saw Ladybird a few weeks ago. It's a coming-of-age story that indulges in a lot of familiar tropes. The main character falls in love with a gay boy, gets her heart broke, falls in love with a rebellious boy, loses ses her virginity, betrays her best friend so she can make friends with the popular girl, et cetera... Aside from the aforementioned tropes, the script feels believable. The viewer gets a genuine feeling of teenage angst and confusion. The overbearing mom is played true to life rather than over the top for chuckles. The frustrated father is played with a realistic portrayal of depression as a mental illness. Good acting all around, but poor production values belay a low budget and an unimaginative cinematographer.

Edit: remember to stick around after the credits to see Robert Downy Jr. invite the overbearing mom to join the avengers. :wink:
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

The Place Beyond the Pines

We seem to be on a Ryan Gosling and film festival type film kick so I thought I'd join :lol:. This one stars Ryan Gosling, Bradley Cooper, & Eva Mendes. It has a nice supporting cast including Ray Liotta. It was written and directed by Cianfrance of Blue Valentine fame.

Ryan Gosling plays a high flying, motorcycle riding bank robber and Bradley Cooper portrays an All American police officer. This film is hard to discuss much more without spoilers. I recommend watching the trailer to get a general idea. Realize that while you're in for several adrenaline filled moments, the plot is more of a calculated, character building slow burn. I thoroughly enjoyed it and can recommend it for fans of Drive or similar movies. It is streaming on Netflix.

Happy to have some spoiler talk within spoiler tabs if any one else has watched this one.

2018 Movies Watched
Count: 5
1. Hitman: Agent 47
2. Riddick (2013)*
3. Real Steel
4. Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol
5. The Place Beyond the Pines

* Indicates a re-watch

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I'm really bad about actually posting here when I watch movies - and I average like two a week. But um, this past week I watched Her, and then Sunshine Cleaning, and also that ho-hum Total Recall "remake."
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

The original Total Recall is such a classic sci fi movie. To me, the heavy use of practical effects versus early, poorly aged CGI makes it stand the test of time. I also have some heavy nostalgia glasses for this one as my Dad and I watched it regularly. The open, interpret your own ending BLEW MY MIND!

I also love the now dated "future" they are portraying. Having the recessed CRT and projection TVs within the walls to give the appearance of flat screens was a nice touch.

The remake wasn't bad as a popcorn action flick, but it just didn't have the Total Recall charm or originally.

Looking back, my dad let me watch rated R movies often :lol:. Total Recall & Predator were normal viewing for 10 year me.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Kuruwin
64-bit

Post by Kuruwin »

noiseredux wrote:I'm really bad about actually posting here when I watch movies - and I average like two a week. But um, this past week I watched Her, and then Sunshine Cleaning, and also that ho-hum Total Recall "remake."

I have the same problem. Sometimes it's out of laziness, sometimes it's because i feel like i can't do a movie justice or i feel like i would write something too generic. I'm going to same as Jago and list everything i have seen this year.

2018 Movies Watched

Count: 22
1 .The Last Witch Hunter
2. High Plains Drifter
3. The People Under the Stairs
4. Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
5. Jigoku/Hell (1960)
6. The Warriors
7. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
8. Fallen Angels
9. Dark Water
10. Mean Streets
11. Age of Uprising: The Legend of Michael Kohlhaas
12. Stuart Little
13. The Men Who Stare at Goats
14. Easy Rider
15. Once Upon a Time in the West
16. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
17. Don Quixote (2000 TV Movie)
18. Shin Godzilla
19. Conspiracy (2001 TV Movie)
20. Hangmen Also Die!
21. The Guyver
22. Enter the Fat Dragon
NotLuke
24-bit

Post by NotLuke »

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

What could possibly go wrong? :wink: