Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by CRTGAMER Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:17 pm

Back to the 80s - Sloth: "Hey You Guys!"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089218/quotes

Francis Fratelli: "Tell us everything! Everything!"

Chunk: "Everything. OK! I'll talk! In third grade, I cheated on my history exam. In fourth grade, I stole my uncle Max's toupee and I glued it on my face when I was Moses in my Hebrew School play. In fifth grade, I knocked my sister Edie down the stairs and I blamed it on the dog... When my mom sent me to the summer camp for fat kids and then they served lunch I got nuts and I pigged out and they kicked me out... But the worst thing I ever done - I mixed a pot of fake puke at home and then I went to this movie theater, hid the puke in my jacket, climbed up to the balcony and then, t-t-then, I made a noise like this: hua-hua-hua-huaaaaaaa - and then I dumped it over the side, all over the people in the audience. And then, this was horrible, all the people started getting sick and throwing up all over each other. I never felt so bad in my entire life."

Jake Fratelli: "I'm beginning to like this kid, Ma!"

Mama Fratelli: [tired of Chunk's stalling] "Hit puree!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The Goonies
Steven Spielberg brings out the kid in all of us, watching the movies he produces. There are so many memorable funny lines in the Goonies movie, look for the Gremlins movie referenced by the police chief. I have watched Goonies a few times on Laser Disc. Finally after all these years, I got to see the deleted Octopus scene mentioned by one of the kids near the end of the movie. The bonus commentary track has a nice surprise. Instead of the just normal audio commentary, you get to see all the actors now grown up reacting to the movie with comments. A nice effect of the movie cropping in and out of the video commentary. Then there is the nice extended Cyndi Lauper Music Video, I want my MTV! :D

A shame more movies don't include the movie tie in music video, Ghostbusters with Ray Parker and guest actors yelling Ghostbusters at the end comes to mind.

Widescreen Anamorphic DVD
For an older DVD release, a very crisp print. I love this movie, a timeless classic. So many scenes one can relate their childhood or children too. Even Cyndi Lauper's music video with all the wrestlers adds to the back in the 80s fun. Look for Andre the Giant and Rowdy Roddy Piper among others. Would have been fun to see Sloth in the mix of wrestlers. :lol:

Rather then writing a lengthy review, I'll turn that over here, click the link to read the entire review:
DVD Verdict wrote:http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/thegoonies.php

If you haven't seen The Goonies you're probably wondering what all the fuss was about in the theater. I'll tell you what I think it is: nostalgia. There are only a handful of childhood movies that I can vividly recall where and when I saw them. The Goonies is one of those movies. It is rare for a movie to evoke such a flood of memories. The sets, the music, and the performances—they all seem to define a generation. I don't throw around the phrase "lightning in a bottle" lightly, but it really does apply to this movie. The Goonies was, and is, something special.

For my money, The Goonies is as good a buy as you're apt to find in DVD. This is a movie that should bring back happy memories, and who knows…maybe someday you'll be watching it with your own kids! Warner has done a commendable job on this DVD. With a great transfer, a nice Dolby 5.1 remix, and some groovy extra features, The Goonies will make you feel like you've found your own pirates booty!

Doom Bonus DVD
Not the movie, just the exclusive Wallymart bonus disc. This is the way store exclusives should be, in a real disc. Not a DLC that is lost over time. :?

Extra behind the scenes footage, not included in the Doom DVD movie Extended Edition. I was hoping for an expanded FPS scene, alas its not here. I have the widescreen DVD movie and the movie is not that great, but I love the FPS scene. Luckily the widescreen DVD movie is anamorphic. But with the squeeze from a 2.35.1 screen, there are still black bars on a 16:9 or 4:3 HDTV. I am tempted to get the Fullscreen version as well, just to watch the FPS scene cropped to Full Screen with no black bars. There is an interesting documentary in what the FPS director did to overcome a widescreen shoot to capture the claustrophobia of a 4:3 computer game. :mrgreen:

Swap Meet Specials - $2.00 each
I was lucky to get both of these, $2.00 each at the swap meet. The Goonies original snap case release was still in shrink wrap! Tore the cellophane and breathed in air from the 80s. Unlike the standard DVD case, Snap Cases have a cardboard front with extra information on the inside flap such as a Scene Index. Sealed when I bought it used, someone missed watching a great movie. 8)
Attachments
Gonnies and Doom Bonus DVD.jpg
Gonnies and Doom Bonus DVD.jpg (246.54 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

by Rurouni_Fencer Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:00 pm

Bitten with Jason Mewes (Jay of Jay and Silent Bob, for you non-Jerseyians..) on Netflix instant Queue.

In a nutshell, he plays a hopeless romantic (!!) who finds a girl in an alley covered in blood and near death. He takes care of her and falls in love with her, only to find out she's a vampire..

Yeah..

If you don't go in expecting much based off of that synopsis alone, it's not bad at all.. i enjoyed it for what it was, (an excuse to hear Jason Mewes say 'fuck' a lot..) My girlfriend hated it, but then again, she hated Grandma's Boy.. :roll: :lol:
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

by Pulsar_t Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:50 am

CRTGAMER wrote:The Goonies

I watched The Goonies on VHS, DVD and BD. The HD transfer was the last, and by then the film just didn't gel with me as it used to. Still, it's definitely a keeper.

The Osterman Weekend (1983). I loved this one, despite being quite a bit of a jumbled mess. Rutger Hauer was simply awesome in Peckinpah's thriller.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

by D.D.D. Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:24 am

THOR! That was a pretty cool movie, and pretty too.
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
OldSchool_Boy
Next-Gen

by OldSchool_Boy Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:04 pm

X-Men 3

They kind of sucked at telling the story of how Jean became crazy.
final fight cd wrote:moral of story: when in a shady part of town, don't ask random thugs where the sega is at.
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

by D.D.D. Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:05 am

OldSchool_Boy wrote:X-Men 3

They kind of sucked at telling the story of how Jean became crazy.

Yeah I'm with you. I'm not a regular comic reader but even as a movie viewer, it was kinda lame.
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
OldSchool_Boy
Next-Gen

by OldSchool_Boy Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:30 am

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

I really think this film missed what it was trying to go for.
final fight cd wrote:moral of story: when in a shady part of town, don't ask random thugs where the sega is at.
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

by D.D.D. Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:57 am

OldSchool_Boy wrote:X-Men Origins: Wolverine

How so?
OldSchool_Boy
Next-Gen

by OldSchool_Boy Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:29 am

D.D.D. wrote:

How so?

The biggest problem for me was that relationship between Logan and Victor didn't really pan out as strongly as it should of have. They didn't really come off as brothers and the twist of [SPOILERS]his love faking her death for her diamond studded sister was recieved a reaction of R U SERIOUS?[/SPOILERS] It just seemed to me that there was a level that it could of reached if they just spent more time on the story more so than the action sequences.
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

by D.D.D. Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:37 am

OldSchool_Boy wrote:
D.D.D. wrote:

How so?

The biggest problem for me was that relationship between Logan and Victor didn't really pan out as strongly as it should of have. They didn't really come off as brothers and the twist of [SPOILERS]his love faking her death for her diamond studded sister was recieved a reaction of R U SERIOUS?[/SPOILERS] It just seemed to me that there was a level that it could of reached if they just spent more time on the story more so than the action sequences.

Hmm, I watched it a while ago but I don't remember that scene being particularly odd. Maybe I didn't catch what was going on.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever