Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by dsheinem Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:06 pm

Luke wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Your first problem is paying attention to critics' views when assessing horror films. If there's one genre that is consistently and repeatedly slogged by critics, it is horror.

I, as everyone, have my share of problems, but forming my own opinion isn't one of them. Especially when it comes to movies.

When criticizing a movie I always ask myself "Why would anyone want to watch this?". Robert's Halloween left me without an answer. Plenty of set up with no pay off.

I think one's appreciation of Rob Zombie films is directly proportional to their appreciation and recognition of his influences and homages. There's a lot of interesting playfulness with horror convention in most Zombie films, something that someone who isn't a big fan of the genre would most likely miss while watching something like his Halloween. I think it is one of the all time best horror remakes - and that's saying something in a genre saturated with them.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:08 pm

^ugh, yeah deleted stuff I was gonna say cuz Dave sort of beat me to it...

Luke wrote:...coming from someone who thinks suckerpunch is a good movie. Very well then.

actually I think it's a ridiculous movie that I find fun. I don't think it's a "good" movie. I think a lot of terrible movies are enjoyable to me. I fully admit that I like trash films because they're trash (recently DOA and House of the Dead for instance).

But RZ's Halloween isn't one of those.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:16 pm

Forlorn Drifter wrote:I watched the movie again. That one scene Luke described literally destroyed my view of the movie. It was great otherwise.

I understand the sexual connections with these phsychopaths, but do we really need it shown?

You said a mouthful. Hitchcock said "I like to play the audience like a piano". Thompson and Webb perfected this in the "rape scene" in CAPE FEAR. It doesn't need to be shown, and violent acts are more likely to cripple the soul when we know as little as possible. All Bobby did was show gruesome murders with no character development, prose, or care for any victim.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:24 pm

dsheinem wrote:....genre saturated with them.

So everyone agrees that Carpenter's HALLOWEEN is not a slasher, yet an iconic thriller, and that the two films aren't in the same league yes?

That is more than excellent in my book. If Bobby Zombie renamed the film, I might not give it so much guff, but it's not the same movie, and doesn't evoke the same feelings that Carpenter's HALLOWEEN did.

And as Noise already knows, I dig shitty stuff too.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:28 pm

Luke wrote:
dsheinem wrote:....genre saturated with them.

So everyone agrees that Carpenter's HALLOWEEN is not a slasher, yet an iconic thriller, and that the two films aren't in the same league yes?

That is more than excellent in my book. If Bobby Zombie renamed the film, I might not give it so much guff, but it's not the same movie, and doesn't evoke the same feelings that Carpenter's HALLOWEEN did.

And as Noise already knows, I dig shitty stuff too.

I do consider the original Halloween and Zombie's Halloween to both be slashers, albiet they represent the sub-genre at very different and distinct points in time. Carpenter's movie is better - one of the all time greats - but Zombie's Halloween is also quite good, especially for a horror film remake (which are almost always shit).
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:44 pm

Luke wrote:
Forlorn Drifter wrote:I watched the movie again. That one scene Luke described literally destroyed my view of the movie. It was great otherwise.

I understand the sexual connections with these phsychopaths, but do we really need it shown?

You said a mouthful. Hitchcock said "I like to play the audience like a piano". Thompson and Webb perfected this in the "rape scene" in CAPE FEAR. It doesn't need to be shown, and violent acts are more likely to cripple the soul when we know as little as possible. All Bobby did was show gruesome murders with no character development, prose, or care for any victim.

I have a certain afinity for random gore, so I was fine with that. I hadn't seen or had forgotton that scene, and for some reason it really ruined it for me.

The last movie I remember seeing that legitimately came close to scaring me was a rape revenge styled movie a local college kid did for class. The whole thing was taken on cell phone then roughly upgraded with his computer. The rape scene was not shown, and this guy managed to make amazing use of the flying or splattering blood and shadows without actually showing what was happening. Something about seeing the girls heaving chest in the shadows of a blood covered wall as she lowers an axe, on gritty, rough film, makes it feel so much deeper and horrible. In one case they showed a body in a mock up news report of the body afterword, and it was so horribly disfigured you could only wonder at some of the things she must have done.

I really wish I could have kept it, but part of the class was destroying what was supposedly great work. After the films were put on, the films were burned Inglorious Bastards style while we stood around and talked.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
OldSchool_Boy
Next-Gen

by OldSchool_Boy Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:52 pm

Rango

Great
final fight cd wrote:moral of story: when in a shady part of town, don't ask random thugs where the sega is at.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

by BoringSupreez Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:05 pm

OldSchool_Boy wrote:Rango

Great

Yes
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

by BurningDoom Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:37 pm

Luke wrote:
noiseredux wrote:
Rob's Halloween was garbage.

false.

80% of critics agree with me. Not by a small margin mind you, 80%.

As always, like whatever you like, and I like some garbage too but I will admit when garbage is garbage.

"zombie's" Halloween is garbage.
TRUE!

We can agree on movies! Rob Zombie's Halloween was complete crap. John Carpenter's Halloween is the only Halloween. Yet at the same time, I loved Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:44 pm

BurningDoom wrote:We can agree on movies! Rob Zombie's Halloween was complete crap. John Carpenter's Halloween is the only Halloween. Yet at the same time, I loved Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects.

House of 1000 Corpses>>>>Halloween>>Devil's Rejects>>>>>>>>>>>Halloween II>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>El Superbeasto
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever