Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by Jrecee Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:35 pm

Maybe Badass will be better than Machete? I was let down by that one.

Can't wait for The Raid, but I'm sure it will never show up in theaters around here. I still can't find Attack The Block in any stores!!
OldSchool_Boy
Next-Gen

by OldSchool_Boy Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:57 pm

Mrs.Doubtfire

Robin Williams being himself for 2 hours. Enjoyed every second.
final fight cd wrote:moral of story: when in a shady part of town, don't ask random thugs where the sega is at.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:41 pm

X-Men First Class (2011) – I had very low expectations coming into this one, and was pleasantly surprised to find a film that I enjoyed more than the previous X-men movie (X-Men 3). The lead up advertising campaign to the film made me think that it would essentially be “X-Men as teen heartthrobs in love/hey let’s find some new shiny actors for the kiddos to eat up,” but what I found was a much better movie than was hinted at by the casting/advertising. The story was well told and paced, was interesting to someone like myself who only knew very few parts of it, and was surprisingly well cast. The normal marks of most of the best Marvel films – strong effects work, witty and sparing humor, global set pieces, etc. – they were all well represented here as well. A fun action film that fans of the genre or fans of comics shouldn’t pass up, despite how silly the film looks in advertising.
Grade: 3.5/5

Suspicion (1941) – I have seen the vast majority of Hitchcock’s most “important” films and own about a dozen of them, but recently picked up another 8 or 10 that I have been wanting to add to my collection for years (the fact that this is not even half of his oeuvre is extremely daunting!). Suspicion is one I was eager to add – I had seen it many years ago and quite enjoyed itit is a great first pairing of Alfred Hitchcock and Cary Grant, a duo that would go on to make four films altogether. Something about Suspicion really works – there’s a perfection of a lot of the “small scale” suspense that is found in quick glances and moments of dark brooding (the kind of things that would mark later films like Rear Window), some excellent lighting techniques to set the appropriate mood, and a lot of early hints of what would make Hitch one of the all time greatest.
Grade: 4/5

I Confess (1953) – This was a Hitchcock film that was new to me, and I really enjoyed it. It’s a very noir-esque film win which a priest knows who the killer is yet must remain silent while he himself is being accused. The almost always excellent Montgomery Clift nails the lead role through a piece of method acting that approaches Brando-esque proportions, and Hitch sets the whole thing against a beautifully photographed Montreal. Karl Malden and Anne Baxter also put in strong performances, but an uncharacteristically sanguine and prolonged flashback sequence really puts an unnecessary pause in a film that is otherwise darker and more introspective.

Notorious (1946) – Given the participants and the renown, I was really looking forward to finally seeing this one, but must say that the film largely let me down. There’s nothing especially wrong with the acting, direction, or really the premise of the plot – but as a spy movie it just seems quite droll. The last few minutes contain some trademark Hitchcock suspense, and Bergman looks great throughout, but I had trouble wanting to persevere through to the end. Certainly the weakest of the Hitchcock/Grant pairings.
Grade: 2/5
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

by BurningDoom Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:59 pm

dsheinem wrote:X-Men First Class (2011) – I had very low expectations coming into this one, and was pleasantly surprised to find a film that I enjoyed more than the previous X-men movie (X-Men 3). The lead up advertising campaign to the film made me think that it would essentially be “X-Men as teen heartthrobs in love/hey let’s find some new shiny actors for the kiddos to eat up,” but what I found was a much better movie than was hinted at by the casting/advertising. The story was well told and paced, was interesting to someone like myself who only knew very few parts of it, and was surprisingly well cast. The normal marks of most of the best Marvel films – strong effects work, witty and sparing humor, global set pieces, etc. – they were all well represented here as well. A fun action film that fans of the genre or fans of comics shouldn’t pass up, despite how silly the film looks in advertising.

Don't forget to mention how bad-ass Magneto was in that movie.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:44 am

Wife dragged me to Hunger Games today. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:46 am

Jrecee wrote:I still can't find Attack The Block in any stores!!

Agh! That's awful.

Marvel spoilers

I hope that's Thanos.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

by Cronozilla Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:05 am

BurningDoom wrote:Don't forget to mention how bad-ass Magneto was in that movie.

I think Kevin Bacon stole that entire movie.
sabrage
Next-Gen

by sabrage Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:32 am

Man, I missed old Cronenburg.

Here's hoping for another Videodrome or Naked Lunch.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:39 am

I've got Attack the Block on my DVR, need to sit down and watch that one.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:18 am

Gamerforlife wrote:I've got Attack the Block on my DVR, need to sit down and watch that one.

After watching Attack, you'll probably ask yourself "why didn't I watch this earlier, and why wasn't there more talk about this?"

The thought came to mind to write a 4 star review of European Gigolo as an April Fool's day joke...Too obvious, and rest assured I'll see many failed attempts of humor on this board anyway today. I politely boo April Fool's Day, as truly the fools come out. Moving on.

La Guerre Est Finie

Contrary to what some of you may think, I love movies. I also hate plenty of them for being a waste of my time, and my time is worth more than anything to me (call me conceited, but the only thing a man truly owns is his brief stint on this blue marble). That's why I'm passionate about the craft. All art has its place, and I can appreciate all genres from mindless action to films that make you question if God exists, what your purpose in life is, and if you even have a purpose in life.

It's not a necessity for a movie to "make me think" to have me to like it. But challenging me to think (retrospectively or not), or connecting with either the writer's or director's vision, or bringing out an emotion is critical to me when judging a movie. Now, who am I to judge movies? Why are you asking questions I just planted in your head? I already stated I have a high opinion of myself and that my time is money. That said I'd spend a lot of my money, and thus (yup. I typed "thus") time, on La Guerre Est Finie.

Fair Warning: La Guerre is not a movie for the fidgety. In no way do I mean the movie slugs along, but it's quite the anti-Bay Transformers.

The film's title translates to "The War is Over", referring to the Spanish Civil War. Clever title, as the entire movie contradicts itself, it's characters, and since this my first viewing, perhaps the ending. Everything, as it was in real life, is flipped up turned upside down (smell you later). The Commie leaders are actually elected, fairly at that, and the rebels are fascists that seem to want to destroy democracy. This is a movie that will send you to the recently defunct encyclopedia britannica (well, you'll probably get your 411 from wikipedia) to see what you didn't learn in school about the Spanish civil war. It's also the only movie that made me excited about learning actual history.

History aside, La Guerre Est Finie makes you care about the characters, almost to the point where you feel everything the lead feels. Fear, paranoia, hate, lust, betrayal. The movie has that magic where you forget it's a movie, and that's the sign of a great movie. This is a "What do you really believe, in your heart?" movie done to a T. After the credits roll, you'll ask yourself the same question, without any propaganda being shoved down your throat.

It's not a life changing movie, but it succeeds at everything the director intended and makes you question your own beliefs, but not with a "holier than thou" approach. Rather, in short (I actually love the ending) the movie thrusts you into a situation anyone can relate to (it doesn't have to be about war, the emotions work on hundreds of levels) and will leave you, as it intended, to THINK.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever