Racketboy Month of Horror 13

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Michi
Next-Gen

Racketboy Month of Horror 13

Post by Michi »

Yes, yes... it's early again this year. But today is the first day of Fall and I know people are already preparing what to watch. So, without further ado, it's once again almost that time of year again!

Welcome to the Racketboy Month of Horror 13: Maybe Next Year Will Be More DOPE

As per tradition, this thread will act as a catch-all place for horror movie watching and horror-game playing (as long as it's not directly related to anything that might be linked to something like Together Retro) and anything else horror related that you wish to talk about during the month of October 2022. Books! Music! Costumes! Decorations! Come, share your bountiful horror goodness with us!

Here's a list of past threads for reference:

dsheinem's MONTH OF HORROR! What horror games will you play? (games)
dsheinem's MONTH OF HORROR 2011! What games are you playing? (games)
noiseredux' month of horror (movies) (movies)
The MONTH OF HORROR 3: Season of the Dream Warriors (games)
noiseredux October horror film spooktacular 2012 (movies)
The Month of Horror PART IV: dsheinem vs. noiseredux (combined games and movies)
Month of Horror V: the Seed of dsheinem & noiseredux (combined games and movies)
noiseredux Presents THE MONTH OF HORROR VI (2015) (remake) (movies)
The 2016 October Horror Marathon (movies)
Spooky time games for spooky times (games)
Month of Horror 8: The Hellworld Gospel Resurrection Legacy
Racketyboy Month of Horror 9: The Axis of Sorta Evil Legacy
Racketboy Month of Horror 10: The Rebootening
Racketboy Month of Horror 11: The Pandemic Edition
Racketboy Month of Horror 12: 80 Weeks Later

What are you planning for this year?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Racketboy Month of Horror 13

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

YYYYEEEESSSS!

I’m back in! I’ve got a lot queued up for the very best holiday, and I’m looking forward to the discussion.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

I'll definitely take part. I love how you edited all the avatars on your banner... but mine needed no alterations :lol:
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

It’s almost here!

I’ve been warming up with a few movies:

Bloody Pit of Horror (1965) - This is a hilariously awful Italian gothic horror film. In it, a muscle-bound man dons a red mask and tight red pants before torturing people in the silliest, most flamboyant way possible. It is so, so bad, but never boring, making it perfect MST3K fodder. While never the subject of a MST3K episode, there is a Rifftrax version available on Prime Video. Very funny and highly recommended if you need a good laugh.

It Comes at Night (2017) - This is basically a zombie movie without the zombies. An incredibly virulent plague has wiped out most of humanity, and a family is struggling to survive in a remote cabin. An intruder disrupts their status quo, and things generally go off the rails from there. It’s a very solid film, and it’s particularly interesting to see a pre-pandemic view of a global pandemic. Streaming on Kanopy.

The Haunted Palace (1963) - This would be my favorite Roger Corman/ Vincent Price Edgar Allen Poe adaptation…if it were actually based on the work of Edgar Allen Poe. Rather, it is named after an Edgar Allen Poe poem, but based on “The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward” by H.P. Lovecraft. As a result, it’s a very early attempt to put a work of cosmic horror to film. It doesn’t work quite as well as something like, Quartermass & The Pit, and it still relies heavily on mid-1960s Poe adaptation tropes (i.e., fog, period costumes, torture chambers, etc.). Still, the story is more interesting than most Poe stories, and it has some really eerie moments. (Also, Debra Paget still looks amazing in her final film role.) Streaming on Prime Video.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Every year I watch the silent films Nosferatu and Phantom of the Opera. Gonna add Begotten to my list this year. Any other silent films I should check out?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

opa wrote:Every year I watch the silent films Nosferatu and Phantom of the Opera. Gonna add Begotten to my list this year. Any other silent films I should check out?

Those are the two best silent horror films IMO. This year, though, I’m going to add Haxan:

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/202 ... century-on
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Looks really neat. Thanks for the recommendation!
Ack

Post by Ack »

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and The Phantom Carriage are two to consider. Also, if you want a very different take on werewolves, I recommend Wolf's Blood.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I'm not big on silent films, but there's one that I've always thought had really creepy visuals. I haven't watched it, but I've seen various clips on YouTube. Hexen. It's silent with title cards in it's original form. When it was brought to the USA, a voice over was added and it was renamed to Witchcraft through the Ages.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Ziggy587 wrote:I'm not big on silent films, but there's one that I've always thought had really creepy visuals. I haven't watched it, but I've seen various clips on YouTube. Hexen. It's silent with title cards in it's original form. When it was brought to the USA, a voice over was added and it was renamed to Witchcraft through the Ages.

That's the one prfsnl mentioned as Haxan.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.