Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 10306
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Daft Punk is splitsville

by marurun Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:13 pm

Welp, after 28 years Daft Punk is done. They've hung up their helmets.

https://pitchfork.com/news/daft-punk-call-it-quits/

I wonder if Thomas Bangalter's tinnitus returned in force.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
User avatar
Anapan
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3257
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:15 am
Location: BC, Canada

Re: Daft Punk is splitsville

by Anapan Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:34 pm

That's too bad. They're one of my favorite bands.
Here's a remade version of Technologic I found the other day made from footage from one of their art installations in Paris in 2019.
https://youtu.be/iqmTWg0z9v0
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
stickem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1903
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:57 pm
Location: nashville,tn.

Re: Daft Punk is splitsville

by stickem Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:48 pm

Dam I would have never guessed 28 years but the older I get, I'm getting more clueless on pop culture lol.
User avatar
fastbilly1
Site Admin
 
Posts: 13746
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:08 pm

Re: Daft Punk is splitsville

by fastbilly1 Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:56 pm

While it is horrible news, it was expected after Bangalter kept having hearing issues. Luckily we just got a downfeed of their 07 concert in Chicago.
User avatar
racketboy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9494
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:28 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Daft Punk is splitsville

by racketboy Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:08 pm

I can understand, but disappointing.
I was hoping they would be involved in the TRON 3 soundtrack -- maybe they have some work into already?
User avatar
bmoc
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1539
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Daft Punk is splitsville

by bmoc Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:11 pm

racketboy wrote:I can understand, but disappointing.
I was hoping they would be involved in the TRON 3 soundtrack -- maybe they have some work into already?

That was the first thing I thought about too. If they can't do it, my vote is going to Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. Their HBO Watchmen soundtrack was great.
User avatar
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3081
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:42 pm
Location: ಠ‿ಠ

Re: Daft Punk is splitsville

by SamuraiMegas Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:28 pm

I think there is still a chance of one more album- coming very soon, if at all. Something about the farewell video feels off for Daft Punk.

That being said, completely devastated by the news- I've been a huge fan since I was in like 3rd grade. I remember excitedly sneaking a headphone in my ear in 8th grade science class to listen to the RAM early on itunes. I've never been so excited for an album since then, and I doubt I will be again, unless they reunite.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 10306
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Daft Punk is splitsville

by marurun Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:37 pm

SamuraiMegas wrote:I think there is still a chance of one more album- coming very soon, if at all. Something about the farewell video feels off for Daft Punk.


Now that I know Bangalter has wrestled with severe tinnitus and hearing problems, it makes a great deal of sense for them to split. It's not that they don't get along, it's that one of them simply cannot do this any longer. I suspect Homem-Christo will continue making music, and I wouldn't rule out Bangalter periodically making more music as well, but with them not being equally able to participate ending Daft Punk is probably appropriate. The video actually seems to represent that situation pretty well.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
User avatar
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3081
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:42 pm
Location: ಠ‿ಠ

Re: Daft Punk is splitsville

by SamuraiMegas Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:55 pm

marurun wrote:
SamuraiMegas wrote:I think there is still a chance of one more album- coming very soon, if at all. Something about the farewell video feels off for Daft Punk.


Now that I know Bangalter has wrestled with severe tinnitus and hearing problems, it makes a great deal of sense for them to split. It's not that they don't get along, it's that one of them simply cannot do this any longer. I suspect Homem-Christo will continue making music, and I wouldn't rule out Bangalter periodically making more music as well, but with them not being equally able to participate ending Daft Punk is probably appropriate. The video actually seems to represent that situation pretty well.

Yeah, the video was cut from their film Electroma- it actually ends with both of the robots killing themselves, not just Thomas exploding. Guy-Man sets himself on fire after Thomas explodes- so I think the way they cut the movie lends credence to the fact that Thomas is done, but Guy is not.

I actually think if they release a new album it would be something closer to Musique Vol 1- but with old, unreleased tracks or alternate versions or something. If I remember correctly, there was supposed to be a RAM remix album and that never happened. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a ton of RAM stuff they are still sitting on- they gave Kanye the drums for Black Skinhead, which came from RAM sessions, for example. There's some other stuff like that Jay Z track, or Aerodynamic Beats that never actually released, and it would be amazing to get a compilation of stuff that never got put onto an album but still sounded good.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
User avatar
racketboy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9494
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:28 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Daft Punk is splitsville

by racketboy Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:27 pm

bmoc wrote:
racketboy wrote:I can understand, but disappointing.
I was hoping they would be involved in the TRON 3 soundtrack -- maybe they have some work into already?

That was the first thing I thought about too. If they can't do it, my vote is going to Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. Their HBO Watchmen soundtrack was great.


Excellent option -- it would be interesting to see if they could match the TRON vibe. I was also impressed with their work on Soul. Nice to see some extra diversity from them.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests