Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

Re: Apple has finally done it

by marurun Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:52 pm

How does the Touch Bar make it worse? I mean, at worst wouldn’t you just ignore it?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Golgo 14
128-bit

by Golgo 14 Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:59 am

marurun wrote:How does the Touch Bar make it worse? I mean, at worst wouldn’t you just ignore it?

The Touch Bar takes the place of several very useful physical keys, especially imo buttons for changing speaker volume and screen brightness. I've customized my Touch Bar to virtually replicate those keys, but I don't like it nearly as much as the dedicated physical keys. It's a small annoyance, but one I run into every day.
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:02 am

Golgo 14 wrote:
marurun wrote:How does the Touch Bar make it worse? I mean, at worst wouldn’t you just ignore it?

The Touch Bar takes the place of several very useful physical keys, especially imo buttons for changing speaker volume and screen brightness. I've customized my Touch Bar to virtually replicate those keys, but I don't like it nearly as much as the dedicated physical keys. It's a small annoyance, but one I run into every day.

At least it's a lighter machine. (bright side?)
The new ones do look nice if you want a power machine.
My laptop isn't my primary workhorse, so the Air has been great for me. It would be nice to still have Magsafe as an option, but oh well.

On a different note, exciting to see these new chips announced. I'm still holding out for a larger iMac or a higher-level Mac Mini teamed with a possible Apple-branded stand-alone display that isn't a super high-end/ultra-expensive one. I don't mind a little expensive like the old Studio Displays range, but the XDR is obviously out of my league.
marurun

by marurun Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:48 am

The way Apple is experimenting with core counts is definitely interesting. Very Ryzen-esque, but with big honkin ARM cores instead of x86/x64 cores. I do wish Apple had better SMP, however. More cores are best when they can talk well to each other.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever