Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Apple has finally done it

by RCBH928 Fri May 07, 2021 1:10 am

MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri May 07, 2021 10:27 am

You're supposed to include the Xzibit picture with text like that.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
benderx
Next-Gen

by benderx Sun May 09, 2021 11:19 pm

I would buy one of the colored imac/mini mac, but M2 chip instead.
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Mon May 10, 2021 5:37 pm

benderx wrote:I would buy one of the colored imac/mini mac, but M2 chip instead.

I'm holdling out for a large iMac (hopefully in Space Grey) or something that is like a new Cinema Display (teamed with a M2 Mac Mini) -- that is like the Pro Display but a bit more mainstream. I love the design of my current iMac, just wish the bevels were a bit smaller/screen a bit larger and had Apple Silicon guts. These new iMac design so far don't feel right to me -- it may be just the missing Apple logo from the chin....

I have had my new M1 MacBook Air for a few months now and it's hard to find any complaints about it other than it makes me noticed more processing hesitations on my iMac (my main daytime work machine)
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Tue May 11, 2021 2:00 am

If you mean by M2 the higher tiered M chips those are probably going to be reserved for the higher end iMacs and MacBook Pros and would be at least couple of years until they get implemented in the entry level iMacs and Macbook Air.

@RacketBoy

You can always add a an Apple logo sticker if you wish. One thing I learned from life is that you won't get things exactly to your liking you will have to compromise, with that said there were products that I felt near perfect and didn't wish for anything more.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Tue May 11, 2021 3:51 pm

RCBH928 wrote:If you mean by M2 the higher tiered M chips those are probably going to be reserved for the higher end iMacs and MacBook Pros and would be at least couple of years until they get implemented in the entry level iMacs and Macbook Air.

@RacketBoy

You can always add a an Apple logo sticker if you wish. One thing I learned from life is that you won't get things exactly to your liking you will have to compromise, with that said there were products that I felt near perfect and didn't wish for anything more.

It's very possible that the larger iMacs will still have an M1, but I'd guess there's a 65% chance it's a second-generation chip in those this fall. The iMacs we just saw announced are the entry level. Typically the larger iMacs are also more powerful. [Not that is matters too much to me as I already am content with the M1 Air, but there's strong rumors that M2 MacBook Airs will even launch by year end.]

No thanks to the sticker :lol: It's not the same
And yeah that's why I'm giving it time to digest and see if maybe I just wanna do a Mini plus monitor for my desktop. I just really have gotten used to the iMac form factor (not that I hate the new design -- I just would tweak it, if it were me).
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Tue May 11, 2021 7:06 pm

hmmm...even if there was an M2 by year end I doubt it will be significantly faster than current M1, I mean how much improvement can you do in one year? Plus if M1 and M2 are going to be in the Air then what kind of chip is going to be in the Mac Pro?

The M1 chip is powerful enough to last a couple of years at least in the MBA, everyone is impressed by it.
marurun

by marurun Tue May 11, 2021 7:30 pm

There are some who think M2 is not going to be about massive internal changes so much as more cores with higher clock rates and more interfaces for PCIE expansion.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Tue May 11, 2021 10:02 pm

marurun wrote:There are some who think M2 is not going to be about massive internal changes so much as more cores with higher clock rates and more interfaces for PCIE expansion.

That’s my prediction as well.
Golgo 14
128-bit

by Golgo 14 Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:08 pm

I got a M1 Macbook Pro in January of this year because I was leaving my job and they always had a 25% discount on Apple stuff. I figured by buying a nice new laptop I wouldn't have to worry about replacing it for another five years or so.

I kind of wish I hadn't done that now. My old laptop was four years old at the time, but it worked fine other than a blown speaker (which did annoy me). My new laptop works basically the same for the kind of things I do, *but* it's worse because it has that stupid Touch Bar and fewer ports. The construction is also a lot shoddier, likely due to the thinness obsession. It just feels cheap without actually being cheap.

It sounds like most or all of things have been addressed with the new Macbook Pros, so I looked into trading in my current laptop. That's what I did with my old four-year-old laptop and they gave me $540 in credit iirc, which seemed decent. Unfortunately, they're only offering $740 for my M1, so it doesn't look like I'll be doing that. I can't justify paying an additional $1500 for minor cosmetic changes. Looks like I'm rocking this one until 2026!
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever