Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Apple has finally done it

by RCBH928 Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:41 pm

racketboy wrote:
Just for upgrading or replacing a defective. Say, for my iMac, I've upgraded the drive. Didn't want to have to have an external hooked up to my iMac all the time.

I don't care about upgrading since 512GB is plenty and reasonably priced and you can always expand via external storage. My main worry was that if the storage dies thats it. System is dead. but then I thought we have a good decade of smartphones/tablets that use SSDs and I have yet to hear of someone who had his device with a failed SSD. I am not sure if it works different on PCs.

NOTE: Woah! I just checked Amazon and 1TB SSDs are sub-$100. This is HDD prices here. Am I missing something?

benderx wrote:The only thing different now its harder to upgrade component parts. I Also Wish the graphics card would push it higher than be behind.

TBF things on Windows machines seem to be going this way too unless you build your own tower or something. Given how Apple invested heavily in CPU performance, I am only guessing a huge advancement to GPUs is coming.

I don't understand Apple, for years they neglected the Mac and concentrated on their gold laying duck the iPhone+iOS. Now suddenly out of the blue "ta-daa!" our first desktop-grade CPU, the most advanced jump in the last decade or 2 custom made specifically for our Mac lineup out performs "Insert CPU manufacturer name here" and on RISC architecture. *All software works and compatible.
marurun

by marurun Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:47 pm

Apple is very good at playing the long game and telling their shareholders to sit on their hands.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:48 am

I was seeing videos on how fast M1 apple computers can render video without the fans even turning on and this got me thinking, does this benefit emulation in any way?
Or does it not matter?
marurun

by marurun Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:53 am

RCBH928 wrote:I was seeing videos on how fast M1 apple computers can render video without the fans even turning on and this got me thinking, does this benefit emulation in any way?
Or does it not matter?

It benefits emulation on Macs. That's about it.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:47 am

There are news that other companies are showing interest in ARM after Apple's successful implementation, meaning we expect the benefit to jump over to the Windows/Linux world not to mention Android and iOS that work on ARM based architectures already. There is also the future consoles, but I think this generation is x86 but Nintendo is closer to jump on it.
marurun

by marurun Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:42 am

The problem is that you need companies with ARM licenses and dedicated chip hardware dev teams. I'm not sure there's anyone else out there who can do what Apple did with ARM right now. Otherwise, why didn't they already do it? Samsung, Qualcomm, and Nvidia have thus far failed to produce anything even remotely like this.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:30 pm

marurun wrote:The problem is that you need companies with ARM licenses and dedicated chip hardware dev teams. I'm not sure there's anyone else out there who can do what Apple did with ARM right now. Otherwise, why didn't they already do it? Samsung, Qualcomm, and Nvidia have thus far failed to produce anything even remotely like this.

I think the long and short is that Apple has both an established customer base, and a product they control entirely. ARM use has been on the rise in more specialty applications (Amazon for instance), and that's starting to show up elsewhere.

Otherwise, you've had folks making Android devices, or lower-end options, like the ARM based Surfaces, and their implementations were tuned towards that.
marurun

by marurun Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:59 pm

isiolia wrote:
marurun wrote:The problem is that you need companies with ARM licenses and dedicated chip hardware dev teams. I'm not sure there's anyone else out there who can do what Apple did with ARM right now. Otherwise, why didn't they already do it? Samsung, Qualcomm, and Nvidia have thus far failed to produce anything even remotely like this.

I think the long and short is that Apple has both an established customer base, and a product they control entirely. ARM use has been on the rise in more specialty applications (Amazon for instance), and that's starting to show up elsewhere.

Otherwise, you've had folks making Android devices, or lower-end options, like the ARM based Surfaces, and their implementations were tuned towards that.

You could argue that Samsung and Qualcomm both have incentive to try to compete with Apple's mobile processors (on which their desktop processor work is based), but they have been either unwilling or unable to, despite having a larger market for those parts. Apple would not have made it to the M1 without the A series, but Qualcomm and Samsung have nothing that can truly compete with the A series chips. Nvidia tried to do what Apple is doing with the Shield and Tegra line. If they'd kept that up they might have arrived where Apple is by now, but interest in the Tegra was lukewarm until the Switch, and Tegra fails to compete on the power conservation level, and Nvidia hasn't really demonstrated that same interest, despite how it would benefit the Switch. Their Mariko revision of the Tegra is arguably a reluctant step in that power-saving direction now that they have Nintendo asking for more.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:56 pm

marurun wrote:Nvidia tried to do what Apple is doing with the Shield and Tegra line. If they'd kept that up they might have arrived where Apple is by now, but interest in the Tegra was lukewarm until the Switch, and Tegra fails to compete on the power conservation level, and Nvidia hasn't really demonstrated that same interest, despite how it would benefit the Switch. Their Mariko revision of the Tegra is arguably a reluctant step in that power-saving direction now that they have Nintendo asking for more.

They probably just designed around the intended use/price point. Same as how, good as the A series/etc GPU is for the segment, it doesn't come remotely close to what nVidia has on offer. Though, hey, maybe Apple has that in the works for the higher tiers :lol:
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:57 am

marurun wrote: I'm not sure there's anyone else out there who can do what Apple did with ARM right now. Otherwise, why didn't they already do it? Samsung, Qualcomm, and Nvidia have thus far failed to produce anything even remotely like this.

Because companies are cowards and rather play it safe and continue to milk their current cows than create something new. Couple examples:-

The iPhone design is nothing genius , just all touch screen, but everyone was doing the small screen with keypads until the iphone. Now everyone uses all screen design

Netflix was a dvd rental company, they decided to sell subscription for streaming. Now everyone jumping on the bandwagon. Its not like Disney or HBO didn't have the money

Apple jumped here on the ARM first, maybe the others will jump too. So far the advantages look too good to stick with x86 for the future. As for emulation, I wonder if it can do better number crunching to emulate more difficult systems (if it works that way).
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever