Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Michi
Next-Gen

Racketboy Month of Horror 11: The Pandemic Edition

by Michi Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:11 pm

Okay, so it's a little early, but it's almost that time of year again!

Welcome to the Racketboy Month of Horror 11: The Pandemic Edition! AKA: 180+ Days Later

As per tradition, this thread will act as a catch-all place for horror movie watching and horror-game playing (as long as it's not directly related to this months Together Retro. Seriously, if it's related to that, go post in that thread instead or else risk facing the wrath of Ack) and anything else horror related that you wish to talk about during the month of October 2020.

Here's a list of past threads for reference:

dsheinem's MONTH OF HORROR! What horror games will you play? (games)
dsheinem's MONTH OF HORROR 2011! What games are you playing? (games)
noiseredux' month of horror (movies) (movies)
The MONTH OF HORROR 3: Season of the Dream Warriors (games)
noiseredux October horror film spooktacular 2012 (movies)
The Month of Horror PART IV: dsheinem vs. noiseredux (combined games and movies)
Month of Horror V: the Seed of dsheinem & noiseredux (combined games and movies)
noiseredux Presents THE MONTH OF HORROR VI (2015) (remake) (movies)
The 2016 October Horror Marathon (movies)
Spooky time games for spooky times (games)
Month of Horror 8: The Hellworld Gospel Resurrection Legacy
Racketyboy Month of Horror 9: The Axis of Sorta Evil Legacy
Racketboy Month of Horror 10: The Rebootening

What are you planning to watch, play, read and listen to?
Michi
Next-Gen

Re: Racketboy Month of Horror 11: The Pandemic Edition

by Michi Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:16 pm

This year prfsnl_gmr and PretentiousHipster have inspired me to go out of my usual horror movie watching comfort zone. So this month my movie watching shall marginally revolve around the theme of "Movies I think prfsnl_gmr would like". Thus, my list will include films from the 60s (well, one film from the 60s) and 70s, and culminate at the end with a viewing of The Love Witch, which I am greatly looking forward to.

I anticipate good times.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:21 pm

AAAAWWWWEEEESSSSOOOOMMMMEEEE!!!!

I’m ready to rock, and I’m really looking forward to your reviews!
PretentiousHipster
64-bit

by PretentiousHipster Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:22 pm

The Love Witch is not 100% horror, but my god it's so entertaining.

For fun witch films I prefer the Russian film Viy. Hope your older horror stuff will include lots of William Castle and Vincent Price.
PretentiousHipster
64-bit

by PretentiousHipster Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:26 pm

My focus will be on horror point and click, but if you want a great light rail shooter I recommend CarnEvil which I should do a video review of next week. I might touch on Nocturne, and if I have the guts, Silent Hill 2. Would Majora's Mask count? I'm still going through all the Zelda games.

Edit: For movies. Not sure, but I might finish this list, although I don't like most of them: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/icm+ ... htysparks/

I only have to see 14 films from this list: The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, Christine, It, Crimson Peak, The Mummy, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The Evil Eye, Greedy Guts, Lake Mungo, The Most Dangerous Game, Fright Night, The Wolf Man, Ravenous, and White Zombie.
Ack

by Ack Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:59 pm

Michi, I love you so much, I could carve your face off and wear it like a mask as I chew on the gory pulp underneath.

Yes, I will post here about movies I watch. I have three point and clicks currently on the docket for TR as well, but I may look into a few others as well. We'll see how I progress through them. I haven't come up with any theme for the films this year (which annoys my wife), but maybe one will emerge.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:55 am

F*ck it. I’m starting early this year. First up is,

1. Slither (2006) - This fun horror-comedy is James Gunn’s first film, and my wife and I both really enjoyed it. In it, space slugs land in a small town right before deer season. They burrow into one person, then another, using them to reproduce and giving them a hive-mind collective conscious. (They people in the town reminded me a bit of the ganados from Resident Evil 4, but funnier.) It is full of gross-out humor, genuinely funny dialogue, and solid performances. The soundtrack also makes great use of Air Supply’s Every Woman in the World. Recommended.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:25 am

Glad to see the tradition lives on :)

@Michi: miss you, bud!

prfsnl_gmr wrote:F*ck it. I’m starting early this year. First up is,

1. Slither (2006) - This fun horror-comedy is James Gunn’s first film, and my wife and I both really enjoyed it. In it, space slugs land in a small town right before deer season. They burrow into one person, then another, using them to reproduce and giving them a hive-mind collective conscious. (They people in the town reminded me a bit of the ganados from Resident Evil 4, but funnier.) It is full of gross-out humor, genuinely funny dialogue, and solid performances. The soundtrack also makes great use of Air Supply’s Every Woman in the World. Recommended.

I kind of forget that it was the first film he directed, since I was a fan of his since Tromeo & Juliet. Crazy that it took him 10 years to get in the director's chair.

I doubt I'll have time to hang around this thread all month this year, but we started our Halloween festivities by re-watching Scream 4 over the weekend. That movie still holds up great, and I contend that it's the 2nd best Scream movie. Weirdly, the DVD we have only has 5.1 audio as an option which meant that in stereo (or whatever a standard soundbar is?) the audio would fluctuate between way too loud and we-can't-hear-the-dialogue. All of this augmented by baby sleeping in the next room. So, I guess that added a little extra horror to the movie, haha.

We also re-watched Split last weekend, if you consider that a horror movie.

We did make a list of some stuff to possibly watch and rewatch this year, but I can't remember everything. Off the top of my head:

WATCH

All The Boys Love Mandy Lane
Wishmaster 2
Carnival Of Souls (remake)
The Stepfather (remake)
The Hitcher (remake)
Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark

REWATCH

Jennifer's Body
Spaced Invaders

Hmm. There was definitely way more, but I'm blanking on much of it. We are planning our annual binge of every Simpsons Treehouse Of Horror as well.

Game-wise, I have Bart's Nightmare and a replay of Night Trap lined up. And I don't know. Probably some House Of The Dead(s) and Resident Evil(s).
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:59 am

I am planning to dig further into both the Universal Monster films and classic Hammer horror this month, as both of those are areas where I still need to see a lot of stuff to feel like I have a good hold on their respective studios' output.

Beyond that, I will likely try to catch up on some bigger horror movies I've missed from the past year or two. noise's post reminded me I still need to watch Scream 4, too...

This thread is probably my favorite annual thing on the site, so I'll be chiming in a good deal!

Does anyone else use a Letterboxd account? Here's mine: https://letterboxd.com/dsheinem/

If you are looking for some horror recommendations, here are some of my picks: https://letterboxd.com/dsheinem/films/g ... by/rating/
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:42 am

Noise! DSH! It’s good to hear from you, and I hope you’re both doing well.

Night before last, my wife and i watched The Mask of Fu Manchu (1932). The DVD collection billed it as a horror movie, likely because it stars Boris Karloff, but it’s really more of an adventure film. It’s a pretty solid one too, involving a mad doctor supervillain and a search for an ancient relic, but it’s handling of race really, really problematic in 2020. In any event, it’s definitely not a horror film; so, I won’t include it on my list this year.

Last night, however, my wife and I watched The Creeping Flesh (1973). It’s a period horror from late in the legendary Peter Cushing/Christopher Lee run of great British period horror. It involves an escaped lunatic, a madwoman, her mad daughter, a scientist (Peter Cushing) looking for a way to cure “evil” via injection, the cruel owner of an asylum (Christopher Lee), and a giant skeleton that comes back to life, for some reason, if you dip it in water. It’s all very silly, and it’s never scary or particularly creepy. It’s really weird, though, and consistently entertaining, Moreover, Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee turn in predictably great performances. Accordingly, and while I can’t recommend it, I don’t hate it either.

prfsnl_gmr’s Halloween Movie List 2020 - Outbreak Edition
Slither (2006) - :)
The Creeping Flesh (1973) - :|
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever