Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Opinions on South Park

by RCBH928 Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:19 pm

I just saw the one about China recently, and they had so many Disney characters in this show that I just don't know how they are not getting sued. There was a guy on YT that had his video pulled because he created a satire of Bugs Bunny meanwhile these are airing on cable.

PresidentLeever wrote:I'd disagree about "the same thing" comment, it definitely evolved and got more refined over the years. I'd also disagree about the internet killing any taboos, if anything there are more of them now than in the 90s and they are enforced by international companies who don't care about your opinion.

But if you don't care for it, what else is as good or better for comedy cartoons?

While I still find it funny, it seems its basically the same old formula
Yea I guess there is a lot of political correctness now, but back then you wouldn't see a cartoon about a kid kicking his toddler brother around.

There isn't much cartoons now days, let alone adult oriented comedy ones. I guess the demand is just isn't there.

Markies wrote:In the crazy world, I kind of felt like they were able to cut through so much B.S. and give an honest take on what was happening.

Yes I like that part about them, no one seems above criticism to them. I find them a lot of time as if they are saying "yes, we did go there".

isiolia wrote:fewer episodes than Family Guy, much less The Simpsons. :lol:

I get the comedy about Family Guy bit it really wears off easily for me, the show structure of stopping to remembering things and imagining things give me a headache. Somehow I see this show as a South Park copy cat. As for The Simpsons, I just don't understand that show 600+ episodes over 30 years. Who is addressed by this show? I haven't seen much Simpsons but my understanding it was more kids oriented but the audience seems to be the adults. Wasn't it all about Bart back when it started?
Last edited by RCBH928 on Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:22 pm

Nemoide wrote:I remember when South Park came out and was THE HOTNESS. I didn't have cable so I couldn't see it right away. I wanted my mom to buy me a T-shirt of it anyway because the cool kids had them (she didn't like it so I never got one). I eventually watched some of it when VHS tapes started getting released. I thought it was great, the edgy gross humor really appealed to me as a 12 year old. I rented the movie when that came out on VHS and liked it too. Eventually my family got cable and I was able to watch it, I liked it but didn't love it. Over the years I'd see an episode here and there, some where funny, others less so.
Eventually the show started bothering me because it got very focused on being extremely topical and always had the political stance of "actually BOTH sides are dumb" which itself feels like a lazy cop-out so they don't need to actually stand for anything. Instead, the show usually thinks that anyone who take political stands are BAD, which is a message I don't especially care for. IDK, I feel like the show (and Trey Parker & Matt Stone's work in general) is really emblematic of a kind of Gen X slacker libertarianism that doesn't sit quite right with me. I don't think I want to say the series is super-bad or anything, but I've drifted away and rarely look back. It's been at least 5 years since I've seen an episode.

There's a part of me that would like to revisit some of the early stuff at some point and see what I think. As far as Parker & Stone's other works, I remember really liking Cannibal: the Musical and Orgazmo but haven't seen them in many years. I always had mixed feelings on Team America. Even without going back and rewatching it, I'm certain that That's My Bush has aged poorly.

Usually people would judge the show by "Face value" and its comedy effect, but this is a very nice philosophical analyzation of the show and its creators ideology.
Ack

by Ack Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:11 am

RCBH928 wrote:I just saw the one about China recently, and they had so many Disney characters in this show that I just don't know how they are not getting sued. There was a guy on YT that had his video pulled because he created a satire of Bugs Bunny meanwhile these are airing on cable.

To address this for a moment, that's because both of these situations are protected by Fair Use, which allows for satire and parody of copyrighted material. The difference here is that YouTube offers next to no protection for creators and will generally pull anything if asked regardless of legal justification. I've even seen copyright claims on music in Star Wars video games.

But to go after South Park would mean going after Comedy Central, which means going after Viacom. Viacom has the money and lawyers to take a copyright case to court and drag it out for the long haul. It's not worth trying to sue South Park as a result, even for major media companies like Disney, because odds are you just end up with a situation where everybody loses over a long period of time.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:43 pm

Hmmm...sounds a bit dystopian where only the one with money can get his legal rights, and the poor man gets stepped over but this is not a topic for this discussion. I am usually ok with parodies but if I was Disney I would be upset to see Mickey Mouse portrayed as smoking weed on tv...
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

by PresidentLeever Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:10 pm

For some reason I can't watch these online, and that makes me sad.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
Golgo 14
64-bit

by Golgo 14 Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:37 pm

You think you're gonna age like Tom Cruise? glwts
Inazuma wrote:Nah, I never found any good velcro shoes.
NotLuke
16-bit

by NotLuke Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:29 am

Tom Cruise wears Tom Cruise brand magical de-aging varnish, so he doesn't count. Matt and Trey have aged just fine.

The history of South Park is amazing, the show can be spectacular, and holy crap does it make me feel old.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever