Looking for Documentary recommendations

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Looking for Documentary recommendations

Post by Jagosaurus »

Yeah, WWI was a really weird one. I like zeppelins and knew they were used in the war, but not the extent that doc explains. Really interesting.

If you're into history, Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is a great podcast. It's extremely well done. Honestly, it's almost too in depth for the casual fan. For example 4 to 6 hours on a single subject. He rotates which series within his releases are free vs premium. He's on all the big podcast delivery methods like Stitcher, etc.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Jagosaurus wrote:They were used heavily in WWI which is kind of lost to time or overshadowed by WWII.

Good point. The Great War is completely overshadowed by WWII. There's tons of documentaries on WWII, but it's hard to find ones on WWI, even ones that just do a blanket overview of the war.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Ziggy587 wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:They were used heavily in WWI which is kind of lost to time or overshadowed by WWII.

Good point. The Great War is completely overshadowed by WWII. There's tons of documentaries on WWII, but it's hard to find ones on WWI, even ones that just do a blanket overview of the war.

100% agree. They'd spend weeks on WWII in school. I took entire college semesters over it. WWI seems to get glossed over with Vietnam & Korea unfortunately. WWII is more theatrical of a story perhaps?

Highly recommend Carlin's Hardcore History podcast on WWI. No joke, gave me vivid dreams about it. That zeppelin doc I linked was really informative. I learned a lot about airships & WWI history.

Ack

Post by Ack »

WWII fits the American Good Guy narrative far better than WWI. It's easier to talk about it.

Now how many of you had classes that really delved into Vietnam?
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Ack wrote:WWII fits the American Good Guy narrative far better than WWI. It's easier to talk about it.

Now how many of you had classes that really delved into Vietnam?

Not a bad point at all on narrative. In the WWI doc I linked, one of the more interesting facts I learned was actually around the Civil War. Both sides used hot air balloons to scout enemy troops.

I took a history course in college (~12 yrs ago) that was probably 1/3 about Vietnam "Conflict." It was the stereotypical college class from a movie. The prof would have prob 10 random pictures per session & just lecture for an hour off the cuff. No powerpoint or provided notes. Just imagery & talking. Really awesome class. For whatever reason, 1 of those Vietnam photos still sticks with me. I can vividly recall the soldier. I'm probably in the minority there regarding much focus on it though. We didn't "win" so slide it under the rug a bit.

RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I am currently watching Vietnam documentary by Ken Burns, I still do not know what happened. Although I am not an American, I wouldn't say America did not "win" in Vietnam. I rather call it "they chose to leave". I have a hard time believing that the country that expelled the British, beat Adolf Hitler, made Japan surrender, and broke down the USSR can't take on Vietnamese guerrilla groups.
marurun

Post by marurun »

RCBH928 wrote:I have a hard time believing that the country that expelled the British, beat Adolf Hitler, made Japan surrender, and broke down the USSR can't take on Vietnamese guerrilla groups.

Russia's participation was essential in beating Adolf Hitler (arguably more than the US) and in making Japan surrender. Nobody could have really "won" Vietnam. It wasn't that kind of conflict. There were only losers, no winners.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Technically Ho Chi Minh did win, even if he died before he could see the result. Ultimately North and South Vietnam were reunified into a single nation able to set its own destiny...to an extent. It is hard to set your own destiny with China on your doorstep. But Ho's biggest goal was to end colonial rule, and in that the NVA was successful.

And then they turned around and invaded Cambodia. Go figure.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

I can't stand Ken Burns tbh. It's like watching a dry university lecture. His jazz documentary had so many omissions too.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I thought Ken Burns was like the Spielberg of documentaries, a lot of people seem to enjoy his documentaries. I have only started seeing this one about Vietnam but so far its informative and well done, better than those silly ones that try to make a trivial issue to sound like a big deal.

marurun wrote:Russia's participation was essential in beating Adolf Hitler (arguably more than the US) and in making Japan surrender. Nobody could have really "won" Vietnam. It wasn't that kind of conflict. There were only losers, no winners.

Something tells me another 2 atomic bombs, one on Berlin and another on Munich will make Adolft Hitler come out of his HQ in underwear and holding a white flag on a stick, without Russian intervention.

Is Vietnam even communist today? If not, this a win for the USA as far as I am concerned. USA won anyway, the USSR broke down and no one really today follows the "communist" mindset even Russia and China are doing business and open to investment meanwhile capitalism is flourishing. Only 2 true communist state remains, North Korea and Cuba.