Looking for Documentary recommendations

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
SpaceBooger

Re: Looking for Documentary recommendations

Post by SpaceBooger »

The Lost Arcade
I kickstarted this and now it's free with Amazon Prime. I highly enjoyed it
The Lost Arcade is a 2015 American documentary film about the influence of the Chinatown Fair arcade on the fighting game community and New York City as a whole. The film was directed by Kurt Vincent and produced by Irene Chin. The documentary features multiple interviews with professional players, in addition to players connected with Chinatown Fair and the new arcade Next Level.

The Power of Glove
I also kickstarted this and it's on Amazon Prime for free too.
A documentary that chronicles the journey of the world's most notorious video game controller: the Power Glove. For the first time, discover the history and legacy behind the glove that helped inspire a generation.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Ziggy587 wrote:The Men Who Built America was a miniseries that aired on The History Channel. Vaderbilt, Rockefeller, Carnegie, JP Morgan, Edison, Henry Ford. These people all died ~100 years ago, and they are still household names. This documentary explains why. I don't know how historically accurate it is, but it was pretty entertaining.

Select episodes of How It's Made stream on Hulu or NetFlix, and I think you can even catch some of them on YouTube. I've always enjoyed watching this one.

If you like Technology connections, LGR, et cetera (those are all great channels!) then you may also like The Computer Chronicles. This is a TV show that aired from 1983 to 2002, and a lot of the episodes are on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/user/ComputerChroniclesYT/about

I saw The Men who Built America, good show. The problem with How its made is that you have to hunt the episodes around. The Computer Chronicles is great within itself, but its like watching the news from 1994. Its fun if that kind of thing interests you and for nostalgia purposes, but I guess we all know if Microsoft next big OS, Windows 95, is going to change the world and will CDs replace floppy disks in the future :lol:

emwearz wrote:If you are a fan of 80's horror, In Search of Darkness is fantastic.

Seems interesting, but there is a fine line between horror and silly B-Movies. I am afraid it will have spoilers, although I don't have any horror movies from the 80s on my watch list.

SpaceBooger wrote:The Lost Arcade
I kickstarted this and now it's free with Amazon Prime. I highly enjoyed it
The Lost Arcade is a 2015 American documentary film about the influence of the Chinatown Fair arcade on the fighting game community and New York City as a whole. The film was directed by Kurt Vincent and produced by Irene Chin. The documentary features multiple interviews with professional players, in addition to players connected with Chinatown Fair and the new arcade Next Level.

This one seems interesting, I would watch for free.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Ziggy587 wrote:
emwearz wrote:If you are a fan of 80's horror, In Search of Darkness is fantastic.

I'd love to check that one out (as well as the upcoming In Search of Tomorrow) but it seems the only way to get it is a limited release Blu Ray from the official site.

That it did...

*pats his copy*
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I just watched Hitler: A Career on Netflix. This guy is a complete mad man, he launched war on all of Europe alone including Russia, how long did he think he will last? It states that 50 nations joined AGAINST Nazi Germany, must have been seriously powerful at the time. It is scary to think that due to 1 man's greed and vengeance 50 million people died, others injured, and cities totally destroyed and huge sums of money lost.

I can not imagine how the German's felt when they lost the war. Their empire was crushed, their superiority dream evaporated, they lost the war, their towns are destroyed, their people dead and injured, their leading political party dissolved, their enemy is walking down their streets and took over their iconic buildings, their country is split in half by two victors, their ultimate fuhrer committed suicide, they are the symbol of terror, and all their neighbours and the world hate them. Must have been a really sticky situation. The shock is too much to take. I will never know how they got along well again with the rest of Europe.
marurun

Post by marurun »

It wasn't JUST Hitler. Germany's economy was suffering as a result of being on the losing side in World War I, and they were roped into WWI by allies, not by their own intent, so many among the German people saw themselves as put upon by the world, victims of a conflict that wasn't their fault. Hitler's particular brand of crazy (all too familiar to some of us) really played well with some of those folks.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

marurun wrote:It wasn't JUST Hitler. Germany's economy was suffering as a result of being on the losing side in World War I, and they were roped into WWI by allies, not by their own intent, so many among the German people saw themselves as put upon by the world, victims of a conflict that wasn't their fault. Hitler's particular brand of crazy (all too familiar to some of us) really played well with some of those folks.

Yes, but still no sane person will take over Europe alone...there is a reason Britain is nick named "The empire on which the sun never sets", and thats just 1 of your enemies we still have USA, France, Russia, ..the list goes on.
marurun

Post by marurun »

RCBH928 wrote:Yes, but still no sane person will take over Europe alone...there is a reason Britain is nick named "The empire on which the sun never sets", and thats just 1 of your enemies we still have USA, France, Russia, ..the list goes on.

Nothing in my statement that contradicts that Hitler was indeed batshit crazy. But there are underlying conditions that lead to batshit crazy ascending to power. And once you've fallen under the spell of batshit crazy, the crazy things batshit says and does start to seem less crazy.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

marurun wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:Yes, but still no sane person will take over Europe alone...there is a reason Britain is nick named "The empire on which the sun never sets", and thats just 1 of your enemies we still have USA, France, Russia, ..the list goes on.

Nothing in my statement that contradicts that Hitler was indeed batshit crazy. But there are underlying conditions that lead to batshit crazy ascending to power. And once you've fallen under the spell of batshit crazy, the crazy things batshit says and does start to seem less crazy.

I do agree, I am just saying, it was just... TOO crazy, like not even Saddam Hussein, Khomeney, Stalin, Kim Jong-Un, or Idi Amin even remotely tried something similar.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

If the WWs & military history interest you, I recommend this documentary on airships/zeppelins.

Common... we all love a good air ship from Skies of Arcadia to Panzer Dragoon.

They were used heavily in WWI which is kind of lost to time or overshadowed by WWII. Also, Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast did a great job of pointing out how strange WWI was. We had calvary horses & tanks fighting in the same battles, submarines being scouted by hot air balloons. Just a weird mix. This hour long doc on YT highlights how airships fit into the advancing warfare tactics:

https://youtu.be/a6irdBtsaQ4

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Jagosaurus wrote:If the WWs & military history interest you, I recommend this documentary on airships/zeppelins.

Common... we all love a good air ship from Skies of Arcadia to Panzer Dragoon.

They were used heavily in WWI which is kind of lost to time or overshadowed by WWII. Also, Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast did a great job of pointing out how strange WWI was. We had calvary horses & tanks fighting in the same battles, submarines being scouted by hot air balloons. Just a weird mix. This hour long doc on YT highlights how airships fit into the advancing warfare tactics:

https://youtu.be/a6irdBtsaQ4

Thanks for the documentary, will check it out. Calvary horses and tanks in the same war, I never thought of it that way. The last century had some serious jump in human technology.