Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
User avatar
RCBH928
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4980
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 am

Does the medium affect your experience?

by RCBH928 Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:28 am

Do you think watching, listening, or playing multimedia on older or different mediums adds or differentiate the experience? I mean, does it add to the experience to listen to a song from the 50s on vinyl? Or watching Nightmare on Elm Street on VHS? Or playing Genesis on a CRT?
User avatar
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10702
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:26 pm
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:33 am

RCBH928 wrote:Do you think watching, listening, or playing multimedia on older or different mediums adds or differentiate the experience? I mean, does it add to the experience to listen to a song from the 50s on vinyl? Or watching Nightmare on Elm Street on VHS? Or playing Genesis on a CRT?


The answers to your questions are: sometimes, yes, no, yes.
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12547
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Does the medium affect your experience?

by Ziggy587 Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:48 pm

I think the short answer, or a general answer, is yes. The medium does affect your experience. It might vary by person or specific example though. And I think it depends on if you were original experiencing it on an older medium, then you might be nostalgic to experience it that way. Versus someone who has never experienced it before, the medium with the least amount of limitations would probably be the better choice.

Me, personally, I'm a hardware guy. I get enjoyment out of just handling the hardware, which is another point entirely.

As an example, I own Another World on GoG and have enjoyed playing it that way on my modern PC. But I also own a floppy disk version and very much enjoy handling it and listening to that clunky disk drive. But I can enjoy the game just the same in digital format.

I can enjoy cassette tapes, but this is probably mostly for nostalgic reasons for me. I have a mix tape that I made in recent years of 90's alternative rock. I applied no Dolby noise reduction when recording the tape, and the boombox that I play it on is not up to audiophile standards but the WOW and flutter add to that experience. A youngster might hear it and be disgusted, but that warble sounds about right given that it's a mix of songs from the 90's.

Nightmare on Elm Street on VHS? Hmm, I do like VHS, but I would prefer to watch it in HD. A more modern movie like this is shot with a wide aspect ration, and I've grown tired of pan and scan. I think I would get a kick out of watching this movie on VHS on a CRT, but I think I would enjoy it much more on DVD or HD.

Here's a good example though, Star Trek (the original series). My first viewing of this series was either from VHS rented from the local library or broadcasted on analog TV. I eventually got the series on DVD, and enjoyed watching it that way. Then I got the series on BD, and it was completely restored for this release, and I find the improved quality to actually have a negative impact on the experience. One this that's really distracting is that you can ALWAYS pick out Shatner's stunt double. On VHS, and even the DVD release, it wasn't always noticeable. There's also something about the improved quality that I think negatively impacts the experience, but I'm not quite sure what it is. Maybe I'm just nostalgic for the way I original experienced the show, but I feel like the lesser quality adds to the experience. One of the things that originally pulled me into the original series was how, by today's standards, it was low quality effects. The lower quality video quality adds to this in some way.
Image
User avatar
Nemoide
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2040
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:37 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: Does the medium affect your experience?

by Nemoide Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:49 pm

I feel like it absolutely affects the experience.
I love CDs and think digital music is great, but playing a really good old song on vinyl makes it something special; I especially like collecting 45rpm 7" records. And I got a CRT TV last year and now it's STRONGLY my preferred way to play retro games.

VHS is something I have nostalgia for, but isn't really a good format. I still have a VHS collection of obscure things I can't easily get on newer formats, instead my preferred "retro-home video" format is laserdisc: the act of just putting one of those giant awkward discs into the player is magical in a way. But if I'm being completely honest, even though those old formats are fun, I'd rather just watch something on blu-ray because I like the improved image quality.
But old movies were typically shot on 35mm film and if I ever get the chance to see them projected on that format (typically at specialty theaters like Alamo Drafthouse), THAT'S my favorite way. Film is extremely high quality, but even as the image degrades, it's in a way that I find sort of charming.
Image
User avatar
SuperDerpBro
128-bit
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:03 pm
Location: Victoria B.C. Canada

Re: Does the medium affect your experience?

by SuperDerpBro Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:19 pm

Kinda. Maybe Sorta.

If an album was made before CDs i try to listen to in on vinyl. However, i do that by downloading a Pbthal vinyl FLAC rip of it. His rips are simply amazing. If an album was made after CDs, i listen to the normal FLAC rip.

Movies i always watch as high a quality encode of it that i can. These days it's usually a 50 to 100GB UHD Bluray Remux MKV. If i cannot wait for that (web streams come out first) i will try to watch a 2160p HDR WEB-DL. If not available, and i really cannot wait, i pleb it with a 1080p WEB-DL, heh.

Games that were made to be played on CRTs get played VIA RetroArch and its amazing CRT filters these days. With the exception of Gamecube, PS2, and wii.. I upscale those to 4k. Everything higher than that i play on OG console.
Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 9864
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Does the medium affect your experience?

by marurun Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:22 pm

I would argue vinyl is a pretty poor format, too, objectively. It is delicate, can be finicky, is eroded by use, and both the media and equipment required to play it are large and arguably unwieldy. I understand that there is in some a love of the medium, but that love is borne of embracing the limitations, as the medium has few, if any, advantages.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
User avatar
PretentiousHipster
32-bit
 
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:10 am
Location: Canada

Re: Does the medium affect your experience?

by PretentiousHipster Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:27 pm

marurun wrote:I would argue vinyl is a pretty poor format, too, objectively. It is delicate, can be finicky, is eroded by use, and both the media and equipment required to play it are large and arguably unwieldy. I understand that there is in some a love of the medium, but that love is borne of embracing the limitations, as the medium has few, if any, advantages.


Agreed tbh, but they look awesome in terms of collecting.
Image
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 9864
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Does the medium affect your experience?

by marurun Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:08 pm

PretentiousHipster wrote:Agreed tbh, but they look awesome in terms of collecting.


That they do, assuming you’ve got the wall space to spare.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12547
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Does the medium affect your experience?

by Ziggy587 Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:20 pm

You get a much different experience with vinyl though versus any other music medium. The original question was, "Do you think watching, listening, or playing multimedia on older or different mediums adds or differentiate the experience?"

If the base line for listening to music is some digital form, then I would say yes, vinyl ADDS to the experience. Whether you think what it's adding is good or bad is a different topic (assuming the original question meant adding in a good way). I would argue what vinyl adds is mostly good. Yes, a worn out and beat up record on a low end turntable with a worn belt is going to sound bad. But that's not typical. Let's say the digital music equivalent to that is a bad data or WiFi connection that keeps dropping out. So it lowers the bitrate and you keep getting frequent pauses.

The fact is, even my most worn out vinyls aren't unbearable to listen to. I'd rather listed to a scratchy record with some pops and clicks than a low bitrate stream with frequent pauses.

But that's not in the spirit of what I think RCBH928 meant by this. Let's assume the best quality digital music, and the best quality vinyl (a brand new record on a high end HiFi setup). Does vinyl add to the experience to make listening to the music better? I think yes, it does. With this instant gratification generation, digital might be a lot more convenient and the ease of use compared to vinyl is inarguable. But where is the fun in that? A few mouse clicks or swipes on your phone and you have a million songs at your finger tips. That kind of overload makes you appreciate everything less. And often times, when music is played this way, it isn't REALLY listened to. To take the time to get a record off the shelf, get it out of the sleeve and put it on the patter, cue the stylus and spin up the platter... There's something just so satisfying about that. Watching the stylus follow the lead in groove with anticipation of the music about to start. Then sit back and relax, and stare at the album cover as you play through side A. Whoops, side A just ended. Gotta go over to the turntable and flip it to side B. Then read the lyrics or liner notes while you listen to the second half of the record. All the while letting the music really sink in. THAT is a much more enjoyable experience than digital.
Image
User avatar
RCBH928
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4980
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 am

Re: Does the medium affect your experience?

by RCBH928 Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:10 am

SuperDerpBro wrote:Movies i always watch as high a quality encode of it that i can. These days it's usually a 50 to 100GB UHD Bluray Remux MKV. If i cannot wait for that (web streams come out first) i will try to watch a 2160p HDR WEB-DL. If not available, and i really cannot wait, i pleb it with a 1080p WEB-DL, heh.


I find it both funny and sad that your last resort is "low-quality" 1080p. I remember when 1080p was cutting edge luxury. Apple still provide media in SD on iTunes.

Ziggy587 wrote:Me, personally, I'm a hardware guy. I get enjoyment out of just handling the hardware, which is another point entirely.

As an example, I own Another World on GoG and have enjoyed playing it that way on my modern PC. But I also own a floppy disk version and very much enjoy handling it and listening to that clunky disk drive. But I can enjoy the game just the same in digital format.


Hardware is part of the experience. Don't you think playing Neo-Geo games using a PS4 controller doesn't feel the same while playing them using the original arcade sticks?

Ziggy587 wrote:With this instant gratification generation, digital might be a lot more convenient and the ease of use compared to vinyl is inarguable. But where is the fun in that? A few mouse clicks or swipes on your phone and you have a million songs at your finger tips. That kind of overload makes you appreciate everything less. And often times, when music is played this way, it isn't REALLY listened to. To take the time to get a record off the shelf, get it out of the sleeve and put it on the patter, cue the stylus and spin up the platter... There's something just so satisfying about that. Watching the stylus follow the lead in groove with anticipation of the music about to start. Then sit back and relax, and stare at the album cover as you play through side A. Whoops, side A just ended. Gotta go over to the turntable and flip it to side B. Then read the lyrics or liner notes while you listen to the second half of the record. All the while letting the music really sink in. THAT is a much more enjoyable experience than digital.


I agree to this. The instant gratification and instant access to all human media creation does make you appreciate the media less. Back when you had to go to the video store and spend time picking 1 movie and driving back home, physically putting the VHS tape in and rewinding on your "1 TV at home" setup made you appreciate it much more than opening Netflix app on your smartphone and click play.

tbf though, back then media creators put a lot more effort in their work art wise. Today its made to make maximum sales, back then they felt more like they were built inclined towards the artistic reasons. You can feel the care and love put in the work. Those still exists, but generally media is built and financed by multi-billion corporations who care first for max. revenue and increase of their stock price.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests