Coronavirus pandemic - how are you affected?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

Re: Coronavirus pandemic - how are you affected?

Post by marurun »

I saw a bunch of people at the store wearing those cheap masks. Won’t do anything for them, but I guess if it makes them feel better...
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

Well, when I started this thread, I was feeling 100% fine, but I now have a slight cough and checked my temperature to find that I have a 102-degree F fever.
I texted my library director and she's already declared that after tomorrow, the library will be closed until at least the 28th.

So I'll be self-quarantining and planning on staying in my apartment for the next two weeks. Laundry will be a little awkward (I normally go to my parents' house or else the laundromat but I'd rather avoid them both) but I think I own enough underwear to last me... Even though I wasn't buying special provisions, I'll also have enough food and toilet paper.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Well, jeans don't need to be washed according to that Levi's guy, so you're good there too!
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Pretty much all sporting and music events have been cancelled in the UK so no football for me for a few weeks. Some of this week's games had been behind closed doors anyway which is always a weird sight on the TV. Schools not closed as yet but a few teachers friends say it seems likely. Definitely a lot less people on my bus to work, most of whom are pensioners. I'm okay with this. Otherwise pretty normal, just washing my hands as usual and not coughing or sneezing directly into people's faces also as usual. Despite the slow start it seems BoJo has finally decided on a "better safe than sorry" policy rather than his previous stance of "whatevs". I do kind of share Wclem's feelings though that this is being a tad overblown in the media but that's the sorry side effect of the 24 hour news cycle. Hopefully it'll all be over soon.
marurun

Post by marurun »

My workplace has now pivoted to trying to maintain some essential public services but also switch any non-public interaction work to work-from-home.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

My work doesn't tell me shit till the last possible minute.

I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't hear anything for days and then went into work some time next week and the doors were locked with a little sticky note taped on the inside.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

MrPopo wrote:I think people's only response is to assume you do what you do in a hurricane. You know, the thing that literally tears up infrastructure? So they assume that various sundries will suddenly become unavailable. But that's not what's actually going to happen; the trucks can still drive on the roads, after all.

This has been a frustrating experience in New York, too. But it's all so uneven. Chinatown still has tons of food, but everyone's scared to go there. Other grocery stores are completely emptied, including big names like Trader Joe's and Target. It's insane.

And those buying bottled water are the most idiotic of all. I would say something about fools and their money, but it's affecting everyone, and that's when it should be criminal.

Currently I'm enjoying an extended vacation from work, er, I mean, "working from home." Just some light data analysis, so no need to be in the office for it anyway.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I'm working on the largest manpower new construction site in Canada - everyone is housed in a work camp. Today they announced that they will double the amount of cleaning done in public areas and anyone who thinks they might have Covid 19 will be quarantined until test results come back negative twice. Otherwise everything will remain as is. We're still waiting to hear the results of the test on one person who was taken to hospital a couple of days ago for treatment and testing. They have a wing for quarantine.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

So my favorite 2 classes in college were Statistics & Epidemiology... so I've found this stats page pretty interesting. I've been tracking since Sunday, March 1st, and it was 88K cases. Today we're at 149K. Right at a 70% increase in 13 days. It also breaks down by country with 2.3K in US & 200 in Canada.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Note... the death rate is calculated on cases with outcomes, not total cases (active included) so the percent looks higher. Also, I have no affiliation or background with page. They seem to be updating figures faster than big news.

We're making public health changes to slow the spread. That's good, but I'm to the point where I'm more worried about people around me making stupid decisions than the virus. I've seen how crazy people get in hurricane disaster situations. It brings out comrade and the best in many... and the worst in some unfortunately.

I work for a third party IT integration firm... lots of talks around helping clients with remote workers. Spent a lot of time yesterday talking and quoting VPN connectivity, remote collaboration, & Microsoft Remote Desktop Services licenses. Companies trying to ensure they have some type of business continuity in place.

I think we could all use a bit of nerd pop culture humor 8)

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I work for my county's public schools. We just started spring break, thankfully. We don't know if they'll extend it (that's the current hope) because surrounding counties are closed for an extended period.
My wife and I were going to visit family but we cancelled our plans. We'll probably just hang out at home.

I just got back from Wally World. I'm used to waking up at the crack of dawn so I went ahead and got our shopping done early before the crazies rise from their slumber.
Notable things out of stock: baby wipes, bread, frozen pizzas (I guess the ninja turtles got there early), rice, beans... There were three packs of toilet paper left. I saw a couple about to buy some and, after a quick discussion, decided to buy napkins instead(??).

I did buy extra groceries but didn't go overboard. Not due to the virus: I really just hate going to the grocery store. lol.
You can't buy bread but you can still buy flour and yeast; which I did get. I regularly make my own breads/pastas so the panic over pre-packaged grain items doesn't affect me in the slightest.