Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Re: Coronavirus pandemic - how are you affected?

by o.pwuaioc Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:13 am

Ziggy587 wrote:Masks in public have been required here since April. New York opened businesses back up in phases, the fourth and final phase happened a week or two ago. But even still, not all businesses are returning to normal. For example, in door dining is now allowed again but with certain rules. Even then, McDonald's for example decided not to open up there tables for indoor dining. They remain strictly takeout. Schools aren't back to normal, either. I'm not sure what public schools are doing but I know that colleges and universities around here are still going to be mostly online courses.

In NYC indoor dining still isn't allowed. Most people I see outside are wearing masks. Some of the joggers aren't, but I assume they're trying to keep their distance (but c'mon, it's New York!). I'm far more worried about the people who are wearing them incorrectly. I'd say half are wearing them incorrectly, including under their nose or frequently below their chin to do activities like talk (on the phone, to their friend). And more and more people are gathering in larger groups I've noticed.

Numbers here are down, but I doubt it'll be totally eliminated until a campaign on wearing masks correctly takes place.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:43 am

I returned to work after several months. Things were the same, for the most part, but as cases rose in the province, as I took my turn-around(holidays) they've restricted distance while working with a mask rule. This will reduce visibility and cause injuries - sweat and heavy breathing while wearing safety glasses causes fogging. I'm okay with p100 respirators because those focus your breath down, so I'll see how this goes...
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:56 pm

What do you do when you're Ben Heck and masks are required in public? Why, you make an auto mask of course!

https://youtu.be/DnJLAvsCGZU?t=2120

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
opa
64-bit

by opa Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:01 am

Anyone else think schools reopening soon is gonna have disastrous consequences?
Around me few districts are going to be online only. Most aren't...
The complaints from parents I see online aren't about their kids' education; they seem to be more concerned with having a place to drop off their kids for the day.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:54 am

My kids can do virtual learning at home or go to school in masks 8 hrs a day with plexiglass around desks etc. They will be doing their schooling at home. Yes it's going to be tough for alot of working folks, but then again schools aren't babysitters. Luckily my wife works from home.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:17 pm

I would be perfectly comfortable sending my kids to "normal" school.

If the state and district attempt to "coronacize" my daughters' school I will withdraw them immediately and homeschool.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:05 pm

Most schools in Texas are going remote for the first 3 weeks through the beginning of September, then will reportedly stage kids back I'm phases. 40% in my area have opted for remote through the first semester so the school will be at ~60% even in that last stage.

Think about how many couples are both essential... cops, firefighters, nurses, blue collar plant/power, IT, necessary food & retail... that's a huge chunk of the middle class. The big change is the new school year will be a much more rigorous model of remote than the end of last year. They essentially gave parents & kids a free pass, but the state is tightening up here. There will be a timed attendance model of some type in TX. Many parents who were able to wing it round 1 won't be able to do so in this new model.

That said on a semi-related... I remember once in high school they gave us off a Thursday & Friday because the flu was so rampant they wanted 4 days of separation & cleaning. I thought that was odd. Strange time to be a kiddo....and parent.
My Mod Threads
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:20 pm

Jagosaurus wrote:That said on a semi-related... I remember once in high school they gave us off a Thursday & Friday because the flu was so rampant they wanted 4 days of separation & cleaning. I thought that was odd. Strange time to be a kiddo....and parent.

Hmm, you saying that just made me half remember... I think we might have been sent home early or had a day or two off because of a flu scare. Was that somewhere around 1999, give or take a year?

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
marurun

by marurun Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:39 am

We know children can spread this thing, even if they are often spared the worst symptoms. I fear for the safety of the teachers in places where they don’t take this disease seriously.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:14 pm

@ziggy, I think it was '02 maybe? I'm terrible with years though :lol:

@marurn, Are libraries back open to the public?

Something interesting the local ISD superintendent brought up is that most substitutes are retired teachers in our area. If full time teachers get sick, stay with family members, or have to quarantine... they're really concerned about staffing shortages. They're expecting those older age subs to opt out. Thought it was a great point that you could quickly run into staffing issues.
My Mod Threads
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever