Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

Re: Coronavirus pandemic - how are you affected?

by marurun Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:16 pm

Many news stories I read do discuss the value of flattening the curve and the burden on medical resources. Maybe I read different news sources?

Ohio is seeing a slowed rate of growth already. The flattening is beginning to take effect, hopefully, even as we increase testing.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:10 am

I guess a better way to put it is, I've seen healthcare burdened generalized. I have not, in great detail seen the number of respirators & ICU bed occupancy specifically referenced as the bottleneck. That made something click for me personally. Then I happened to see a pic of repurposed SCUBA gear & full face mask as medical respirators in Italy. That drove it home for me.

I think I may have referenced this earlier, but as someone who caught pneumonia several times as a kid & pre-teen, my lungs are scarred. It clearly shows on x-rays today. For the most part, I'm fine but I'm more susceptible to respiratory illness 20 years later. This could have lifelong impacts on young people who catch severe cases. I read lung tissue damage was occurring in some cases. For that reason, among others, being really careful with my kiddos.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:37 pm

Cuomo closed schools until at least April 15th so I won't be seeing any students until the 20th since spring break is still taking place. Not sure what that means for my day to day, on Monday me and the other admins are meeting to figure out how to best continue serving our community.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:19 pm

Things Look bad for my store, I am an under the table worker and get paid in cash and can't get unemployment. I was a dependent in 2018...

Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
This account isn't used much anymore. You can find me on reddit and steam @ SamuraiMegas as well.
NotLuke
16-bit

by NotLuke Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:49 pm

Heart is with you dudes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqLQwWc ... e=youtu.be

So many classmates won't graduate....Terrible, but could be worse. Uniersities be businesses, let this remind you when you sign the check.
PretentiousHipster
32-bit

by PretentiousHipster Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:26 pm

Found a great post on twitter.

If the virus came out 10 years ago we'd be seeing stuff like this

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:49 pm

Thankfully, our memes have evolved to a higher plane.

Still laying low here in Maine. The state has 250+ cases. My aunt and uncle have the virus and seem to be doing okay; both just quarantined at home.

My kids haven't had school since the 13th. They also haven't left the property, with the exception of some "Sunday drives" where they stay in the car. Tomorrow was supposed to be their school go-back date, but that's been pushed to April 27. I predict that date won't hold up either, and that neither will set foot in a school again until September. We've been doing okay at home. Spending a lot of time outside and on trails.

The hospital my wife works at is going into "all hands on deck" mode, meaning she may start seeing some coronavirus patients. She's gonna live/sleep in the basement. Fun times...
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:28 pm

Hey everyone.

My wife works as a nurse in our hospital, so I'm rather worried about that.
I'm also laid off from my day job and my freelance clients are all on hold as they are either closed temporarily, have investors backing out, or cutting costs. But unemployment helps.

SamuraiMegas, I know in Michigan, they opened up unemployment up to freelancers/self-employed, so that helps.

I already work from home, so that hasn't been too much of an adjustment. Kids are home more, but it hasn't been too bad -- I use my headphones more though.

This has been a good excuse to do more writing for RB -- it's been a good way to get my mind off things. I also have some volunteer work I'm doing remotely.

I try to only go out (for shopping etc) like once a week other than runs in the park -- keeping those lungs active and strong.

But I'm still surprised on how many people don't seem to be taking things seriously.

Stay safe, everyone!
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:39 pm

Reporting in from southern California. It's been both heartening and upsetting to read everyone's posts. I'm sorry for everyone who's out of work, who's struggling with childcare, who works as or is related to someone at the front lines of the medical response right now, who has had someone pass away. I'm glad we're all in touch, though.

My worst story is that I have an uncle back east whose stage four cancer was discovered after hospitals had locked down. He was given a month to live, and at first my aunt was not permitted to visit him. For a week or so there was genuine fear that he would die alone in rehab or in hospice and that his wife would never see him again, but somehow my aunt got him released to their house. They are provided one hospice nurse and are paying out-of-pocket for a second one. My uncle is still not allowed to have visitors, but at least he and my aunt can see this thing out together in their home. It is a very sad time, but at least it falls short of being utterly devastating.

I worked six days a week as a part-time librarian in two public libraries when all of this hit. At first, the libraries tried to stay open; then they closed to the public but had employees report in; now they've both taken a further step, albeit different ones.

One of my libraries has suspended all of its part-time staff indefinitely. We don't have benefits, so paychecks have ceased. That said, I along with four of my colleagues were tapped to be "disaster service workers" for that city, which is actually something I swore an oath to do when I accepted a public job in the state of California. We are obligated to serve in some capacity during emergencies like major earthquakes and fires, but can also be personally recruited for specific things. For the time being I'm helping staff a makeshift hotline four nights a week, answering local questions about food pantries and utility bills, practicing some emotional management, and the like. I am proud and gratified that we are offering this service.

My other library has decided to keep paying all staff -- regardless of whether they are benefited or not -- for their regular hours, as long as they are "available to report in" during those hours. In other words, whether or not you get called in, you get paid so long as you are technically available to report in for work. This is fantastic and I'm glad it's happening for my colleagues, but unfortunately my disaster service hours interfere with my general availability. As such, I'm losing a chunk of paycheck every week. But at least I'm still getting income.

My husband has been working from home for several weeks now; his company was rather proactive about this whole thing, much to our relief.

So, we're surviving. Last week was definitely the hardest for me, with so much up-in-the-air. The waiting and the uncertainty is what I particularly struggle with. But we're holding it down. And putting on pounds. My next task is getting the stress eating under control.

Stay well, everybody.
BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
marurun

by marurun Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:47 pm

Oof! The stress eating is real. Working from home with all my home snacks and leftovers available? Bad news.

So glad to hear you are managing to weather things ok so far. And I think it’s great you are proudly serving as an emergency helper. That’s a great program to have for public employees, though getting paid for it would be a nice bonus.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever