Coronavirus pandemic - how are you affected?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Golgo 14
128-bit

Re: Coronavirus pandemic - how are you affected?

Post by Golgo 14 »

Starting Monday, I'm working from home for the foreseeable future. I'm an archives tech at Pixar, so between this and Onward flopping, I think my job is toast. :cry:
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Onward is flopping? The reviews have been great. But also now is a shitty time to go see a movie, so there is that.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I'm a teacher in Japan, and in the last week of February the prime minister recommended that all schools cancel classes for the month of March (the actual decisions to cancel were up to each individual school board, despite what I saw many headlines claiming). I don't exactly keep the widest information network among my colleagues, but I don't know anyone whose school board decided to keep school in session. This isn't the worst thing in the world, given that we only have two-ish weeks of classes in March because this is the end of our school year, but it's still frustrating to a point.

Some of my ALT colleagues have had the misfortune of having to just sit in the staff room at work, despite having no classes to teach (and it being the end of the school year, very often nothing to even work on in terms of lesson plans). I am very fortunately not in that position, so I have effectively been on-call all month so far (we have a digital check in and then check out via a google form, but nothing really other than that). For me, this basically means an extra two-ish weeks of spring break (which I have spent playing lots and lots of Shovel Knight and Dragon Quest Builders 2 ;b).

I'm already someone who doesn't really leave the house for much (I don't go to restaurants, bulk-buy food over the internet, don't go to bars, don't have friends who live in my town), so as far as my day-to-day schedule stuff goes, I'm pretty unaffected outside of having my spring break extended. There's been no word as of yet, but I would not be surprised if the start of school was pushed back a bit more. Just the way the overall mood around COVID19 is, I'm pretty skeptical that if they were comfortable enough cancelling school all of March that they're gonna be A-OK starting it back up on April 6th.

Stay safe out there, everyone QwQ
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

Starting to get dicey here in TX. DFW had something like a 6 hour wait for baggage claim, and another 2-3 hours to get through customs. This was for international flights arriving back into the states.

Virtually everything is gone from our shelves at the local Kroger. We had family visiting about two weeks ago, so I had grabbed a bunch of stuff we needed that time from CostCo. I needed to go get some diapers for my kiddo and some other stuff like milk and groceries for the week, so I got up super early thinking I'd beat the crowd. It was still somewhat busy at 7:30 on a Sunday morning.

I'm particularly unnerved by people still not maintaining distance between each other, and the callous / flippant attitudes about this thing being insignificant. Our federal response has been delayed and lacking. It will be telling to see how the number of cases go up, because it appears that people aren't going to take this seriously.

My wife hasn't had her work cancelled yet. She works as a scientist at UTSW. It's likely they may go to a telecommute style, but they don't have enough VPN tunnels to get all the needed employees to be able to work from home. So there's that.

Keep yourselves safe. Seems like we have enough video games to play! And plenty of time to play them.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

My cough is almost gone and has phlegm, so it can't be the virus. I'll try going back to work on my next shift on Tuesday. They still have to be fed in the retirement homes no matter what happens. It'll be interesting to see how empty it'll be on the way there. I was surrounded by hundreds of people on my way to work on Thursday so I'm not surprised I caught something.

Everything here is closed and everything is cancelled too. My tattoo artist said if anyone is sick 3 days before the appointment to reach out to him to delay the appointment.
NotLuke
24-bit

Post by NotLuke »

Hi there, new and old friends alike.
In the state of North Carolina our schools are closed for the next two weeks and our Universities (larger schools who fellate themselves) are on hold until further notice. Fairly certain that most of us are in the same collective boat.... that is terrible phrasing...AHEM! So we're all in this together...f*** me, that might mitigate what YOU may be going through, and I do not want to do that.
We are going through some stuff that may or may not seem at the time trivial to you, and the decisions we and others make, and things we and other people say may have profound impacts on your daily life.
But we are a smart bunch. We utilize common sense and outcome expectations. Before making a decision we balance what worth in the long turn we will receive. We're more likely to spend $75 on a complete copy of Actraiser than $75 on an unopened collector's edition of Alien Colonial Marines. Again, we are a smart bunch.
If we continue to think before we act, we'll prosper as we have before, and this too shall pass.

With all this "free" time we have, please use it wisely to think.

If you have elderly or disabled neighbors and plan on shopping, slip them a letter asking them if they need anything. If you have a local shop you usually support, support them now by way of buying a gift certificate for future use. If you feel isolated, alone, or angry, call someone you can talk to. If you know someone who you know may feel isolated, call them. And if you feel like not doing anything, thank you for staying put, as that IS doing something.

I don't doubt for a second that everyone here doesn't mean well. You guys are awesome. Keep it up.

edit* my attachment is too big (fact, not trying to be silly). In the pic is Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, Mega Man X, and Maui Mallard Cold Shadow.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

They took away the bottles of Sriracha (among other condiment bottles) in the mess hall, but left the salt and pepper shakers.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

marurun wrote:Onward is flopping? The reviews have been great. But also now is a shitty time to go see a movie, so there is that.

Reviews and audience reaction have been good, but just not enough people showed up. The virus probably knocked off only a few million opening weekend, as it was tracking to underperform regardless. I get it. It looks like a phoned-in DreamWorks POS at first blush. It's actually very good, but I guess Marketing couldn't get that across.

And yeah, now with the virus situation really kicking in, people aren't wanting to take their kids to the movies. This weekend's box office for the film was down 73% from last weekend, which is just brutal. :shock:
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Struggling to get nappies, baby medicines and formula for my 4 month old.

Also can't find any Ventolin for myself, got a bit to get me by.