Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

Re: Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

Post by marurun »

RCBH928 wrote:Movies pre-2000 had a very relaxed and calm tempo to them

I don’t know I would go that far, but they were a tad less breathless and breakneck in their pacing on the whole.

Part of what has defined the 2000s onward is the rise of the Chinese market’s appetite for western films. More and more often films have to have a more broad and shallow appeal. Smaller budget works that are more culturally dependent still exist, but films that really want to appeal to the international market need to be fast and flashy and make clear their high budget so as to impress everyone, even those who lack the proper cultural context.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

marurun wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:Movies pre-2000 had a very relaxed and calm tempo to them

I don’t know I would go that far, but they were a tad less breathless and breakneck in their pacing on the whole.

Part of what has defined the 2000s onward is the rise of the Chinese market’s appetite for western films. More and more often films have to have a more broad and shallow appeal. Smaller budget works that are more culturally dependent still exist, but films that really want to appeal to the international market need to be fast and flashy and make clear their high budget so as to impress everyone, even those who lack the proper cultural context.

I see your point, but I do not believe Hollywood took the right approach. There were major blockbusters which were popular world wide like Jumanji, Speed, Die Hard, Titanic to name a few. We do not need them to be action packed like The Fast and The Furious to gain popular world wide. Even movies from the drama and romance genre seems to be fast paced and to the edge with their events.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

RCBH928 wrote:I see your point, but I do not believe Hollywood took the right approach. There were major blockbusters which were popular world wide like Jumanji, Speed, Die Hard, Titanic to name a few. We do not need them to be action packed like The Fast and The Furious to gain popular world wide. Even movies from the drama and romance genre seems to be fast paced and to the edge with their events.

I don't think there's necessarily a singular "Hollywood" approach. Instead, there'd be a combination of things. As mentioned, sure, big budget movies are usually trying to succeed in multiple markets, driving them towards a product that's easier to sell worldwide. To be fair, many of them are also getting significant funding from overseas investors. Still, little of that is new - plenty of 80s action films were exactly that too. Known action star, simple enough plot, and you have something that can bring people to theaters for a spectacle - though it goes the other way too. Consider the relative popularity of martial arts action movies with most other non-English offerings in the U.S.

That being said, it might also be worth considering if there are particular techniques or styles that make you feel one way or the other about a movie. Improved technology has allowed for more movement in shots, more of a range in lighting, etc. In turn, that might enable trends, and maybe some of them like shaky cam or deliberately chaotic action lead to your conclusions.
Average Shot Length has generally declined though there are plenty of factors to consider there such as genre and director. Action movies, in particular, have pushed towards shorter shot lengths, to the point that ones going the other way (John Wick for instance) were notable, even if they weren't doing long "single shot" scenes like Children of Men or Atomic Blonde were noted for (much less what 1917 put together).
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Its not just the shot length, while thats a nice way of scientifically putting it, but its the whole mood that the movie sets. I think it reflects the tempo of life back then compared to now, where life now is very fast paced.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Not sure if Steven Spielberg has retired from film making, I see he is still making movies recently but they don't carry the "Spielberg" feel like Ready Player One. Sometimes I feel like they just put his name on the film to market it while someone else is doing 90% of the work. Last film that felt "Spielberg-ish" to me was Munich from 2005. Lincoln was good though, but my opinion is not fair since I haven't seen many of the newer titles so I will let you comment on that.

Pre-2000 the man was like a film genius machine pumping out classic Hollywood blockbusters one after the other, not sure if he is that smart or he just knows who to work with.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I wonder why some movies people will remember forever, and others are forgotten in history and I am not talking about obscure ones. I recently saw a comedy titled Mafia('98), and I am willing to bet anyone who was not around release of this movie, probably have not heard of it. I am going to name a few although this is based on my perception , I could be wrong and they are still popular:
Casper, The Jackal, 13th Warrior, A Goofy Movie

but most surprising of all when a movie with famous actor goes under the radar and almost no one heard of: The Poison Rose(Freeman, Travolta)
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Freeman and Travolta are done and making crap movies equivalent to straight to dvd. Sort of along the lines of nick cage lol. might as well add Pacino and de niro to that list .
Ack

Post by Ack »

stickem wrote:Freeman and Travolta are done and making crap movies equivalent to straight to dvd. Sort of along the lines of nick cage lol. might as well add Pacino and de niro to that list .

Yeah, but from time to time we get Nic Cage to give us ridiculously hilarious stuff worth watching just for the sheer WTF of it. Like Mandy. Or Drive Angry.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

I probably gave mandy about 30 minutes before shutting it off. The Trust, suffered through that one. Looked interesting for awhile, then got boring and went all nic cage stupid.